5.13's or 5.38

jknit

Before I get this answer, yes I've looked at the charts. I have 37 inch tires and a 6 speed. Im most concerned with daily driving, keeping my speed up on the highways/up grades etc etc. puts me right between 5.13's and 5.38s, what do you guys have and what would you recommend?

David1tontj

What axles do you have? I don't have an opinion other than; if it's a dana 30, do not go 5:38... The dana 30 ring gear is tiny and you don't want to make the teeth any smaller than necessary.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I have a manual 2012 JKUR with 37" and 5.13 and couldn't be happier. I definitely think 5.38 would be too much. Not sure about ring thickness but that might be an issue also.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

jknit

What axles do you have? I don't have an opinion other than; if it's a dana 30, do not go 5:38... The dana 30 ring gear is tiny and you don't want to make the teeth any smaller than necessary.

Perfect, I'm a mountain edition so 30 up front 44 in back, answers my question perfectly thanks for the help

jknit

I have a manual 2012 JKUR with 37" and 5.13 and couldn't be happier. I definitely think 5.38 would be too much. Not sure about ring thickness but that might be an issue also.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Ya I'm a 30 up front and 44 in the back so it looks like 5.13s it is

David1tontj

You're welcome.. The d30 ring and pinion gears tend to be the weak spot, so you want to keep the teeth as big as possible. (The numerically lower the better)

Last edited:

jkmohican

Yeah seems the question has been answered. I'll just add that personally, I would feel safer with a 5.13 Vs 5.38 in a Dana 30 just because of how small the teeth become. It's a lot easy to tear them up with higher gears, especially that high, so if 5.13 will suffice your DD needs, stick with that.

CrazyLarry

WAYALIFE APP 

What rpms are you running at 70 and whats your gas mileage like? I have a 2012 manual as well and im still up in the air between 488s and 513s. If I lived in the mountains or higher elevation I would do 513s no question but im in the northeast

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forget 5.38, the pinion on it is super tiny in a Dana 44 and it is something I have broken because of it. Have you guys ever seen what a 5.13 looks like in a Dana 30? Same thing! If you leave your front end open, you should be okay running it but if you lock up, I personally wouldn't run anything more than a 4.88 in a Dana 30 but hey, that's just me.

rubicrawl

Forget 5.38, the pinion on it is super tiny in a Dana 44 and it is something I have broken because of it. Have you guys ever seen what a 5.13 looks like in a Dana 30? Same thing! If you leave your front end open, you should be okay running it but if you lock up, I personally wouldn't run anything more than a 4.88 in a Dana 30 but hey, that's just me.

Eddie what do you recommend on a 2010 auto rubicon running 37's with d44 up front and rear

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie what do you recommend on a 2010 auto rubicon running 37's with d44 up front and rear

5.38 would be a ratio that I would prefer BUT, I personally would not recommend anything bigger than a 5.13 in a Dana 44. I have tried running 5.38's and blew them out in about 2 months/9 nine hard runs. I should note that I was always aware of the likelihood of blowing them and ran them more as a test than anything.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
What rpms are you running at 70 and whats your gas mileage like? I have a 2012 manual as well and im still up in the air between 488s and 513s. If I lived in the mountains or higher elevation I would do 513s no question but im in the northeast

My RPMs are right around 2600 at 70 right where the 2012 Manual gears chart said I should be.

I run the 37x12.5s around 28-30 psi depending on where I'm going but I average about 13 mpg. The tires are NITTO Trail Grapplers.

5.13 is also better for towing, if you ever intend to do any.

CrazyLarry

My RPMs are right around 2600 at 70 right where the 2012 Manual gears chart said I should be.

I run the 37x12.5s around 28-30 psi depending on where I'm going but I average about 13 mpg. The tires are NITTO Trail Grapplers.

5.13 is also better for towing, if you ever intend to do any.

thanks man! gearing is a tough decision

rubicrawl

5.38 would be a ratio that I would prefer BUT, I personally would not recommend anything bigger than a 5.13 in a Dana 44. I have tried running 5.38's and blew them out in about 2 months/9 nine hard runs. I should note that I was always aware of the likelihood of blowing them and ran them more as a test than anything.

So you suggest 5.38? Is that going to favor more toward highway use or off-roading, crawling etc.

David1tontj

So you suggest 5.38? Is that going to favor more toward highway use or off-roading, crawling etc.

I think he's saying 5:38 would be the perfect ratio IF you had axles that could reliably run them.. (sounds like you need dana 60s to run 5:38s) If Eddie has broken 5:38s in a dana 44, they would never last in a 30..

Last edited:

rubicrawl

I think he's saying 5:38 would be the perfect ratio if you had axles that could reliably run them.. (sounds like you need dana 60s to run 5:38s) If Eddie has broken 5:38s in a dana 44, they would never last in a 30..

I have d44 but yes eventually I'll go 60 :) but I'm just wondering what I should go with for now I take my rig in next month so I'm just wondering what you guys run and if happy or not

David1tontj

I have d44 but yes eventually I'll go 60 :) but I'm just wondering what I should go with for now I take my rig in next month so I'm just wondering what you guys run and if happy or not

I'm not in a jk, so it doesn't really matter what I think'- but I run 513s and they are great with my 39.5" iroks. I have a mostly stock 4.0 with a six speed manual and my jeep weighs in around 4500, or 5000 if I'm loaded down for a trip

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I think he's saying 5:38 would be the perfect ratio IF you had axles that could reliably run them.. (sounds like you need dana 60s to run 5:38s) If Eddie has broken 5:38s in a dana 44, they would never last in a 30..

What David said, 5.38 is a good ratio IF you had a 60. I would NOT recommend running 5.38 in a Dana 44. I would NOT recommend 5.13's in a Dana 30 for the same reason.

Top Bottom