JKU Show your Cage - Opinions

jeeeep

Hooked
Looking for pics and comments of those who have JKU installed cages - many options but I've narrowed it down to:

Rock Hard, seems they went through some transition QC issues but they appeared to stand behind their work and they may be back on proper QC, only front section - rear center bar extra

Smittybilt - I know China made but the tube specs look no different than any other and I'm not sure but doesn't most the tubing used come from China anyways? Includes front and rear center bars.

Poison Spyder, I like that their front side support goes all the way to the floor, don't like that there is an upcharge for grab handles and they are the most expensive of the others, tubing sections are fitted (no clamps) like the clean look, front and rear center sections included.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There are a few threads on aftermarket cages already. Do a quick search and they will come up. Most of the questions have already been asked on most of the cages.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for pics and comments of those who have JKU installed cages - many options but I've narrowed it down to:

Rock Hard, seems they went through some transition QC issues but they appeared to stand behind their work and they may be back on proper QC, only front section - rear center bar extra

Smittybilt - I know China made but the tube specs look no different than any other and I'm not sure but doesn't most the tubing used come from China anyways? Includes front and rear center bars.

Poison Spyder, I like that their front side support goes all the way to the floor, don't like that there is an upcharge for grab handles and they are the most expensive of the others, tubing sections are fitted (no clamps) like the clean look, front and rear center sections included.

I have installed and run both the Rock Hard and OR-Fab. Both are quality sport cages and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. Of the two, Rock Hard was a lot easier to install.

Regarding Smittybilt, there is more to a cage then where their tubes come from. Who does the welding and how much do they really care about what they are doing is something to consider as well. I personally wouldn't touch one but, it's your money and you should spend it how you see fit.

I had considered Poison Spyder and was about to install one on my old 2-door that became the Vengeance build but, decided against it after seeing and hearing how much they squeak. I know some will swear that they don't or that you can do some modifications to mitigate it but, what I saw/heard was enough to make me just say no.

But, that's just me.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've installed the Rock Hard and ORFab (the latter in my Jeep, the former in MTG's). Eddie is correct, the Rock Hard is a much easier install. I personally like the looks of the ORFab better because it doesn't look as bulky but, you can't go wrong either way.

I don't trust Smitty products for protection, so it wouldn't matter if it cost $10.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have installed and run both the Rock Hard and OR-Fab. Both are quality sport cages and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. Of the two, Rock Hard was a lot easier to install.

Regarding Smittybilt, there is more to a cage then where their tubes come from. Who does the welding and how much do they really care about what they are doing is something to consider as well. I personally wouldn't touch one but, it's your money and you should spend it how you see fit.

I had considered Poison Spyder and was about to install one on my old 2-door that became the Vengeance build but, decided against it after seeing and hearing how much they squeak. I know some will swear that they don't or that you can do some modifications to mitigate it but, what I saw/heard was enough to make me just say no.

But, that's just me.

ahh I thought I remember about one squeaking, couldn't remember which. I rode in a friend's rig during last EJS that had the PS, I forgot he did tell me he did some stuff to make it quite.

Agree on Smitty welding, it does look pretty rough. I do have their side rails installed and they have held up well.

I'll take a look at OR-Fab as well, I thought they were just weld in but see they are bolt in.

My first choice was Rock Hard but after seeing their QC issues I didn't want to hassle with exchanges etc...
Work has a way of getting me side-tracked and if I don't get something installed when it arrives, it seems to sit in my living room far too long :icon_crazy:

Thanks

JayKay

Caught the Bug

But, that's just me.

Just a question...what did you do with your Bluetooth mic when you installed your cage? I'm sure you have it on Rubicat. I have a '12 and am just curious to find for the future when I get a cage. Do you even retain that corner piece of trim on the A-pillar after the cage is installed?

Tcdawg

OP, I looked at the cages you note. I struggled with all the opinions and slight differences, read all the threads, etc.

For me, I really wanted some strong tie ins from the cage to the tub or preferably, the frame. My son wheels with me all the time and actually drives as much as I do, he has been driving off-road since he was 14, just turned 16 last week. He is a very good driver but we all know that things can happen on the trail and I wanted the strength of frame tie ins. I ended up going with Synergy's full weld in cage. I felt it was nice compromise between the sport cages and a full tilt custom cage. For me, I am very, very happy with it.

GOPR0027_zps2464b031.jpg

GOPR0026_zps3122fb95.jpg

GOPR0025_zpsb80ed9c6.jpg

GOPR0024_zps86c1ce7a.jpg

GOPR0023_zpsff3c50d2.jpg

LoPo

Caught the Bug
OP, I looked at the cages you note. I struggled with all the opinions and slight differences, read all the threads, etc.

For me, I really wanted some strong tie ins from the cage to the tub or preferably, the frame. My son wheels with me all the time and actually drives as much as I do, he has been driving off-road since he was 14, just turned 16 last week. He is a very good driver but we all know that things can happen on the trail and I wanted the strength of frame tie ins. I ended up going with Synergy's full weld in cage. I felt it was nice compromise between the sport cages and a full tilt custom cage. For me, I am very, very happy with it.

GOPR0027_zps2464b031.jpg

GOPR0026_zps3122fb95.jpg

GOPR0025_zpsb80ed9c6.jpg

GOPR0024_zps86c1ce7a.jpg

GOPR0023_zpsff3c50d2.jpg

What sliders do you have?

Tcdawg

LoPo said:
What sliders do you have?
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, tub mounted. They have bent and had to work hard to bend them back so I could close one of my doors. I plan to swap to VKS or EVO frame mount at some point. Both vendors have told me they would send their product with the frame mounts unattached to the slider so I could place them in locations on the frame that won't conflict with the cage frame tie ins.

Last edited:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, tub mounted. They have bent and had to work hard to bend them back so I could close one of my doors. I plan to swap to VKS or EVO frame mount at some point. Both vendors have to me they would send their product with the frame mounts unattached to the slider so I could place them in locations on the frame that won't conflict with the cage frame tie ins.

Nice, that's what I've heard about the Poly cage if at least you have EVO sliders that the mount points conflict with the poly frame tie ins.

Tcdawg

LoPo said:
Nice, that's what I've heard about the Poly cage if at least you have EVO sliders that the mount points conflict with the poly frame tie ins.
Yea, if you have existing frame welded sliders they, depending on the weld on locations, could conflict with the Synergy tie ins.

I think it is the A pillar frame tie in, but not positive.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I just installed the rock hard this weekend in my 2010 jku.
Ordered at Xmas from northridge. Checked it over for loose pieces inside tubes for rattles and the weld. It all looked solid and well done. I ground down some weld areas to smooth it down. Painted myself. Install was straight forward and fit surprisingly good. As to the previous QC issues, if mine wasn't sitting around at northridge, I'd say they have gotten past them.

jeeeep

Hooked

GOPR0027_zps2464b031.jpg

GOPR0026_zps3122fb95.jpg

GOPR0025_zpsb80ed9c6.jpg

GOPR0024_zps86c1ce7a.jpg

GOPR0023_zpsff3c50d2.jpg

That looks nice! I looked at weld in but I don't have welding skills and the cost just seems to rocket to get it done

jeeeep

Hooked
I just installed the rock hard this weekend in my 2010 jku.
Ordered at Xmas from northridge. Checked it over for loose pieces inside tubes for rattles and the weld. It all looked solid and well done. I ground down some weld areas to smooth it down. Painted myself. Install was straight forward and fit surprisingly good. As to the previous QC issues, if mine wasn't sitting around at northridge, I'd say they have gotten past them.

Cool! I think Rock Hard is what I'm going with, it was my 1st choice before I started seeing and reading about QC problems.

I know HR made the issues right but I hate a hassle so it's good to hear you didn't have any on a recent purchase..thanks :beer:

Redrubi1

Roll2.jpg

I rolled my 2010 JKUR at Moab down about 20 feet and the Rockhard cage DEFINITELY made a positive difference in my outcome. I love the Synergy weld in cage though and that's what I went with the second time around. After having rolled once I wanted a little more there in case it happens again.
I would also recommend more than a three point belt. I weigh about 150# and stand about 5'10. At the end of the roll I was falling out of the seat and ended up banging my head on the Rockhard center piece. You can see in the pic where I hit my head and some bloody evidence.....

Last edited:

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

GOPR0027_zps2464b031.jpg

GOPR0026_zps3122fb95.jpg

GOPR0025_zpsb80ed9c6.jpg

GOPR0024_zps86c1ce7a.jpg

GOPR0023_zpsff3c50d2.jpg

Dang that looks nice!

mrmike

Stay away from the smittybuilt. I tried to persuade my amigo to go rock hard by the price convinced him to try the copy. Bad move. Powder cost in the screw holes. Had to retap almost every hole. Quality was lousy.

Top Bottom