Jeepin lunch ideas

TNuggs13

Going out this weekend and was wondering if anyone had some ideas for lunch. Something easy and that could be stored in the cooler and didn't require a lot of work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Going out this weekend and was wondering if anyone had some ideas for lunch. Something easy and that could be stored in the cooler and didn't require a lot of work.

Well, aside from your basic sandwich, I really like cold fried chicken or chicken tenders. Of course, any snack like chips or fruit are always a nice compliment to it too. :yup:

dahreno

Banned
I usually just pick up Subway if it's just for a day. If it's for a weekend that means I'm sleeping in my tent.If I'm doing that, I am bringing an ice chest, snacks, Coleman stove. I'll usually bring something like hot dogs, hamburger, steak, sometimes MREs ( I hope thats right ), of course water, drinks. If you bring a stove you can make whatever you want. Sometimes we cheat and go to the nearest town and eat out !

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i use my backpacking stove a lot. usually make cup of noodles, or canned chile beans. kinda want a trail table on the tailgate to cook on.

My girlfriend and i have brought your basic sandwiches, we have made a pasta salad type dish (basically cold pasta with things like tomato, broccoli, etc with olive oil and garlic/other seasonings) and they've all been good after a long day in the crappy cooler we carry with us. If you can keep the cooler cold enough for raw meat and can get your hands on a propane coleman grill, its a great way to make things like burgers or hotdogs while out on the trail. (a little messy so bring paper towels and proper utensils)

TNuggs13

Not looking to do any cooking for lunch. Dinner is when we do most of the cooking in camp. I was thinking of pasta salad but thought others might think of something that I'm not.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Well if you don't plan on firing up the grill for some roadside burgers,
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390281823.305018.jpg

Like Sharkey said some good deli meat, cheese and bread are a good way to go. Trail mix, apples, PB&J or the standard sandwiches are always a safe bet. :yup:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
It really depends on what I'm in the mood for. I usually go for compact packing and easy... so things like tuna salad kits and some bread or Uncrustables are fairly common for me.

Spartan

My family and I do Uncrustables a lot. Cooler or no cooler it works both ways. Chips and some kind of drink is a good idea to.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Quick and easy lunch: subway, fried chicken, or a wrap from the grocery store deli. Before I had an arb fridge I would freeze water bottles for ice. No mess and you can thaw and drink them.

JAGS

Hooked
I usually do sandwiches, chips, almonds or trail mix, granola bars, oranges and waters/sodas, etc.

If you want something different, maybe do a buffalo chix wrap ala eddies tenders ideas but spicy. Can also do pita pockets stuffed with good things like tomato, red onion, greens, grilled squashes and feta. Bring some balsamic on the side and ur gourmet for lunch.

Haven't done these two for the trail, but have for things like concerts in park. I'm sure they'd work for the trail, but a little too fancy for my kids. Lol.

- Jason

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ribeyes. :D

IMG_8778_zps003f72f3.jpg

IMG_2687_zps24679733.jpg

FireWire79

Here I am looking at all these lunch ideas, and I can only think of one thing that I bring is this.

640px-MRE_contents.jpg

These things are great, easy to pack in and out, self heating, and provide a full days nutrition. Not to shabby. Do they taste good? Well, that's not really important, the important thing is that they don't necessarily taste bad.

Top Bottom