Another shock question

Devallee

Has anybody run either of these shocks?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/t...bsorbers-3in-or-4in-lift-inset-of-4in-1460000

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/t...ng-shock-2-5in-4in-lift-aluminum-body-1982820

I'll be running them with the Evo Plush Rides and am looking for a good shock to handle a little higher speeds (If you have any other recommendations in that price range ^^ I'm open) I'd like the adjustable kings from Evo but I'm not sure the budget will allow it yet. So I was wondering if either those elkas or fox's would do the job. Any input would be helpful :beer:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2trackin

I run Fox. Not the exact same ones, but the 2.0 reservoirs. They are quite stiff with Plush ride coils even. But a also am a 2 door with lighter bumpers and no tire carrier. I notice it rides better with a bunch of weight. I'm looking to have my shocks revalved.
Unfortunately Evo will not give me the spring rates that Fox needs in order to tune my shocks properly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

No experience with those but i have experience with Bilstien 5100's on my 4 door JK with 4" Evo plush rides and its horrible. I wanted to get either the skyjacker 7000s or rancho 7000s went to local 4x4 shop to order spent 2 hours there with the guys who all have JKs and they kept pushing bilstiens maybe they get a kick back who knows but i ended up just saying fine and i hate them probably the stiffest riding jeep i have been in feels like a YJ

I know they did tell me for being in Ontario with winters and all the salt that the expensive fox, king, elka, and so on shocks will get destroyed fast there suited for places like california and what not... again no experience with them yet

After running the Evo with leaking rough country shocks and going to bilstiens i know for sure a good old hydro 7000 shock will give you the best ride around town but may fade when offroading will you notice the fade? im not sure but i know i want my next set to be a hydro shock to compare the difference in real world! Currently i prefer my buddys JKU with 4" rough country lift over my 4" evo lift for ride quality plushness and its 110% shocks because i had rough country on before with these coils and was way smoother

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
From what i have read the teraflex (or in this case elka) shocks are on the stiffer side even with the reservoirs. i would look into either the bilstein's 5100 (or 5160 if you want a reservoir), rancho 7000 or 9000, or maybe even Fox 2.5 reservoir shocks. i heard the latter is on the stiffer side as well but ride comfort is 100% subjective.

i personally run the 5100's and i really enjoy the ride. it helps soften up the ride of the stiff teraflex coils.

Another option is to see if there are other Jeeps in your area that are running different shocks and see what you like best.

DaK

From experience you will want shocks with the reservoirs. Reason for this is the expansion of the gases during these high speed runs. A buddy and I were doing some "high speed" runs through DV on the fire roads and we both blew our 5100's. After blowing the second 5100 I upgraded to the KING 2.5's as I was tired of changing shocks and dealing with leaking fluids. Now while out we are asked to slow down, much more comfortable ride on the KINGs than with the 5100's. The vehicle control is greater and the lean while off camber is less noticeable. Can't speak to the 5160's but you may want to do some research on them as I recall there being an issue with rusting between the shock and the reservoir.

Am wondering if the corrosion you speak of can be controlled with powder coating the Fox or Kings? This is also the first I've heard of there being an issue with them being used in a corrosive environment as I am sure they are being used in and around costal areas with no issues what so ever.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I run 5100s with my 3" plush rides and I feel its a great ride, not harsh at all other than sometimes on smaller potholes and stuff like that around town, but I also have a 2 door which I think makes anything a little more pronounced.

904Jeep

Bilstien 5100's on my 4 door JK with 4" Evo plush rides and its horrible.
Is it possible that you were mistakingly given 5100's valved for a different, much heavier vehicle? I know from personal experince with them and from what others have experinced that they do ride on the firmer side of the shock spectrum. However even paired with in my opinion too stiff for a lightly loaded 2door AEV coils my ride is still an improvement over stock. Far from a leaf sprung YJ.

Uh maybe? how would i know though? my bill from 4wheel parts says jk shocks bilstien 5100s... im assuming they picked the right part number and what not for my jeep i wanted just hydro 7000s but was talked into these because they are far superior in ride and quality so i caved believing they ahd way more experience riding in MANY more JK then my own and wouldnt steer me wrong. all my research for my choice was just over the web didnt get a chance to go for rides in peoples jeeps because no one near me runs evo stuff or 4" most guys up here are running 2.5" lift and 35s so i just had to wing it!

Like maybe im saying it wrong, the jeep was way less roll when cornering feels more like a sports car now a lot tighter more respensive. when i hit big bumps or big dips in the road it soaks it up with ease. where its hard as hell is like cracks in the road or if you go over a bridge you know the expansion ribs every 200' or so?? when you hit small stuff like that its jarring to your back and feels like the jeep hops sideways if turning like the shock is forcing the suspension back down??

I know it was all i could do by myself to compress the shock to install them they had so much pressure charged and it lifted the JK like 0.5" after installed haha could they be wrong for a JK? possibly? am i going to bother pulling them out again? nope im gonna ruin them then upgrade to a resi or evo coil overs specifically valved for the JK which should be the best of the best! so i just live with it now

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Uh maybe? how would i know though? my bill from 4wheel parts says jk shocks bilstien 5100s... im assuming they picked the right part number and what not for my jeep i wanted just hydro 7000s but was talked into these because they are far superior in ride and quality so i caved believing they ahd way more experience riding in MANY more JK then my own and wouldnt steer me wrong. all my research for my choice was just over the web didnt get a chance to go for rides in peoples jeeps because no one near me runs evo stuff or 4" most guys up here are running 2.5" lift and 35s so i just had to wing it!

Like maybe im saying it wrong, the jeep was way less roll when cornering feels more like a sports car now a lot tighter more respensive. when i hit big bumps or big dips in the road it soaks it up with ease. where its hard as hell is like cracks in the road or if you go over a bridge you know the expansion ribs every 200' or so?? when you hit small stuff like that its jarring to your back and feels like the jeep hops sideways if turning like the shock is forcing the suspension back down??

I know it was all i could do by myself to compress the shock to install them they had so much pressure charged and it lifted the JK like 0.5" after installed haha could they be wrong for a JK? possibly? am i going to bother pulling them out again? nope im gonna ruin them then upgrade to a resi or evo coil overs specifically valved for the JK which should be the best of the best! so i just live with it now

how long have you had them on for? i know my bilsteins felt stiff as well for the first few weeks. after driving around a lot more they sofened up a good amount.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
About three weeks now it's also been -20c almost every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that can play a huge part into why they feel so stiff right now as well. the past few weeks we have been in temp ranges from -5*f to 30*f. when its anywhere in that -5 to 20* range its on the stiffer side but once it warms up it softens up. i would just give it some time before you decide to take them back off. :twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run the exact Elka's you have linked on a set of Plush Ride coils and wasn't happy with the ride quality at all. Sure, going down a desert was fast, it did a pretty good job of soaking up the bumps but for a daily driver, it was way too harsh for my taste.

I run 5100s with my 3" plush rides and I feel its a great ride, not harsh at all other than sometimes on smaller potholes and stuff like that around town, but I also have a 2 door which I think makes anything a little more pronounced.

I'd have to agree. Testing out a set of 5100's valved for a JK, I thought they were pretty nice when coupled with a set of Plush Ride coils. :idontknow:

Is it possible that you were mistakingly given 5100's valved for a different, much heavier vehicle? I know from personal experince with them and from what others have experinced that they do ride on the firmer side of the shock spectrum. However even paired with in my opinion too stiff for a lightly loaded 2door AEV coils my ride is still an improvement over stock. Far from a leaf sprung YJ.

This is a good point. Just because you got a set of 5100's that bolted up to your Jeep doesn't mean that they were actually valved for it.

Yeah who knows if their valved correctly for a jeep or just a generic shock I'll just run em till they fail and won't run them again lesson learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Something to consider about our RS7000MT's ( and the adjustable 9000's too)

I run the 7000's on my JKU and I love them. But it did take a bit for me to get used to them after the adjustability of the 9000's. :beer:
Also if you are looking for a deal on shocks.... I would wait a short short bit. ;)

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Try qualifying Rancho® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Rancho® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, return the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (not to exceed $50 per pair). We're that confident you will be satisfied with Rancho® RS9000XL™ shock absorbers! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

*Offer limited to the purchase of four (4) RS9000XL™ shock absorbers. This offer does not include products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Offer valid only in North America and Canada on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

GCM 2

Something to consider about our RS7000MT's ( and the adjustable 9000's too)

I run the 7000's on my JKU and I love them. But it did take a bit for me to get used to them after the adjustability of the 9000's. :beer:
Also if you are looking for a deal on shocks.... I would wait a short short bit. ;)

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Try qualifying Rancho® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Rancho® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, return the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (not to exceed $50 per pair). We're that confident you will be satisfied with Rancho® RS9000XL™ shock absorbers! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

*Offer limited to the purchase of four (4) RS9000XL™ shock absorbers. This offer does not include products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Offer valid only in North America and Canada on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

Not sure if you saw the latest edition of the "Overland Journal" magazine, but your RS9000XL just won their shock absorber test shoot out. They beat other mfg brands like: Bilstein, Fox and one or two more big names. The off road legend Mr. Ned Bacon was certain that his trusty Fox shocks would take the overall win, but said that nothing tested compared to the Rancho's :rock:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Not sure if you saw the latest edition of the "Overland Journal" magazine, but your RS9000XL just won their shock absorber test shoot out. They beat other mfg brands like: Bilstein, Fox and one or two more big names. The off road legend Mr. Ned Bacon was certain that his trusty Fox shocks would take the overall win, but said that nothing tested compared to the Rancho's :rock:

I need to go grab this issue today. Missed you at KOH (honestly you missed my beard, almost like yours when you were up high in the mountains a few years back :eek:), Ryan and Terra said they were able to catch up with you though...

GCM 2

I need to go grab this issue today. Missed you at KOH (honestly you missed my beard, almost like yours when you were up high in the mountains a few years back :eek:), Ryan and Terra said they were able to catch up with you though...

You missed my beard. Yep, I was fully bearded until the morning of the EMC race. I shaved the face clean for wearing the helmet, the beard was bugging me during pre runs. I did get to chit chat with Ryan and Tera, I was pulling for them as always. Hopefully I will see you at one of the events soon. I'm trying to make it to Moab just to see your facial growth ;)

Devallee

Well I'm definitely not looking for a stiff ride on road, so maybe these choices are out of the question. The rancho 9000s were definitely an option so I may look into those instead. Or should I just wait and get the Evo adjustable kings? I really want something asap but I can wait a little longer to save the funds and get the kings if they're really worth it (which I'm sure they are). I just wanted to know if there are any other good options besides the kings for faster offroad driving without fading, that'll still give me a decent on road ride (besides going to coil overs)

Top Bottom