Trying to kill my DW once and for all. Advice on ball joints?

MobyJR

Hey guys. I've got about 200$ I can spend on ball joints. I've got a new track bar, stabilizer, and new sway bar discos so far. Does anyone have positive experience with any after market ball joints? Like I said I've only got about a 200$ limit, so with that in mind, what's the best I could do? Anythings better than the ones that are on there now lol. Thanks in advance!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Alloy USA, Synergy and Crown HD are all the same ball joint. Only difference is, the Crown HD's are more affordable. If that's all you can afford, I would recommend you get a set of them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you sure it's ball joints? Before you spend the money check and make sure it's them and not something else.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure it's ball joints? Before you spend the money check and make sure it's them and not something else.

What he said ^^^^. If you're on a budget, might as well be thorough in your examination of them and other components. That way you won't need to spend money on things you don't really need.

MobyJR

Replaced the track bar and that helped but it's still happening occasionally at like 30-45 mph over bumps. Also did a new stabilizer, even though I know that it "masks the problem" I still needed a new one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Tires balanced. I could use a rotation. I try to do it every 2,000. But they are balanced and at about 30 psi.
I'm pretty sure I did it at deep creek but I'm not sure how :)

Honestly, even if you just got them balanced, I would do it again. It's not uncommon for big off road tires to need more than one balancing to get it right and if you've been off roading since then, it's entirely possible that you've tossed a weight or even had your tire shift on the wheel. Either way, it's a good place to start so that you can be sure that it's not instigating things.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Like Eddie said, if you do decide you need ball joints after you rebalance your wheels, I would take a look at the crown ball joints. I got both sides for less than $100.

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, Crown makes a standard OE replacement ball joint and an HD one. The later is the same as Alloy USA and Synergy but the prior is not.

jkmohican

Something I find with people who experine death wobble and start replacing parts is they NEVER brace or fix the ovaled holes in their track bar bracket. Realize that everytime death wobbble happens, it is ovaling your bokt holes. They may not be noticeably ovaled, but enough to cause death wobble. Ive been dealing with death wobble for too long and never wanna see you or anyone else go through what I did to diagnois and fix it. Mine only happend at 70MPH plus so you can imagine why they call it death wobble.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MobyJR

Something I find with people who experine death wobble and start replacing parts is they NEVER brace or fix the ovaled holes in their track bar bracket. Realize that everytime death wobbble happens, it is ovaling your bokt holes. They may not be noticeably ovaled, but enough to cause death wobble. Ive been dealing with death wobble for too long and never wanna see you or anyone else go through what I did to diagnois and fix it. Mine only happend at 70MPH plus so you can imagine why they call it death wobble.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm waiting on my ball joints, and tie rod ends still but my quick discos came yesterday :) I'll check out the new track bar for damage. Hope it's ok. My tax return is running out lol

MobyJR

Wellp, mobyJr, aka the battle panda, aka storm trooper, aka wetdream on wheels is at Jeeperformance in Yucaipa. Lol walked my happy ass all the way home from the 10 fwy. Hopefully they can get this thing right for me for a decent price. I wish I lived close to ORE again. Oh well I'll give these guys a shot.

Josh27

Exactly what I was thinking. I am in the process of killing my death wobble and will be taking in to a local off road shop this week to have them weld some steel on and drill the right size hole. I have also replaced the factory bolts with 9/16 bolts that fit with no play in the track bar but the ovaled holes in the track bar brackets are bad enough to cause death wobble to happen. Other than those holes, everything checks out to be fine.

MobyJR

Exactly what I was thinking. I am in the process of killing my death wobble and will be taking in to a local off road shop this week to have them weld some steel on and drill the right size hole. I have also replaced the factory bolts with 9/16 bolts that fit with no play in the track bar but the ovaled holes in the track bar brackets are bad enough to cause death wobble to happen. Other than those holes, everything checks out to be fine.

This is what the guy at the shop said too. He said that'll be the first thing he addresses. He said he might try to strengthen the brackets or something or make new holes.

pikdiesel

2007 JKU Rubicon with 2.5 RK inch springs, stock rims/spacers with 35"BFG KM2's
Just went through a case of the "wobbles". I'll give you my sequence.

Started with track bar bolts....nope.
Then went with steering stabilizer....helped, but steering was still not tight.
Found out that TRE at passenger knuckle was shot...replaced with Synergy drag link.
After further examination, lower ball joints had play. Replaced them with Synergy units.
After doing ball joints and drag link, DW was completely gone.
Tie rod was good, but decided to replace it since I was replacing "everything else."

Synergy ball joints $200
Synergy drag link $200
Synergy tie rod $290
rock solid ride...priceless

I just got it aligned today and the JKU is rock solid with a steering "feel" that is better than stock.

Now that everything is heavy duty and with grease fitting, I hope it will last the life of the Jeep.

Good Luck!!!

Top Bottom