Teraflex front trackbar

Hangemhigh1

I'm getting my parts together to do a 2.5" coil spring lift on my 2013 JKUR. I purchased Rancho 9000xl shocks and being concerned about my wheels being off even slightly due to any lift, I am getting ready to purchase the Teraflex monster front track bar Any opinions about this track bar? As a footnote, I am also purchasing wheel spacers as I'm planning to keep the stock wheels and mud terrains for a while. No plans to upgrade the bumpers anytime soon either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Although their front track bar has been redesigned, I personally wouldn't recommend it. There were a LOT of breaks with the previous design and the only way people were finding out about it is when theirs finally broke. See link below:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks

Here are other breaks of TeraFlex products I have seen:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4743-TeraFlex-Long-Arm-Bracket-Break

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break

Not exactly a company that is known for making quality products.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm getting my parts together to do a 2.5" coil spring lift on my 2013 JKUR. I purchased Rancho 9000xl shocks and being concerned about my wheels being off even slightly due to any lift, I am getting ready to purchase the Teraflex monster front track bar Any opinions about this track bar? As a footnote, I am also purchasing wheel spacers as I'm planning to keep the stock wheels and mud terrains for a while. No plans to upgrade the bumpers anytime soon either.

for the price i'd look at JKS or Clayton Offroad adjustable front trackbars. I believe there's a post showing a broken monster track bar - in this case bigger isn't always better.

I have the Clayton TB on my 3.5" lift and no issues.

HDGasser

Like others have said, apparently the ones that broke was there first design. I have the "newer" design I guess you could call it and I will say it is a monster...

And honestly i haven't had an issue with it. I played hard enough in Death Valley in my hemi powered jku on 37's enough to bend my trussed front axle housing... Track bar is still alive.:twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like others have said, apparently the ones that broke was there first design. I have the "newer" design I guess you could call it and I will say it is a monster...

In all fairness, the original was sold as a "Monster" as well. If you've ever seen the two side by side, you would know that they are essentially the same track bar only the newer version has more than one bend (just helps to clear the diff better - makes NO difference in strength). Sure, it's a solid bar but the breaks were happening right at the threads of the adjuster. I've run both version and ran the new one up until I started to see more and more of their products break. I have since been running a factory track bar and without any issues.

And honestly i haven't had an issue with it. I played hard enough in Death Valley in my hemi powered jku on 37's enough to bend my trussed front axle housing... Track bar is still alive.:twocents:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, you bending a trussed front axle housing is really no surprise and the forces that caused it wouldn't necessarily cause a front track bar to break.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it's time to rethink the lift kit? Any others out there for about the same price but better quality?

Any reason why you haven't given the Rancho 3" Sport system a look? It even comes with an adjustable front track bar and everything is made in the USA. With their rebate going on, it's an even better deal that what you were looking at.

Hangemhigh1

With a 3" lift will I have any issues with the drive shaft or with the exhaust? I heard something about that with an automatic but what about a manual?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a 3" lift will I have any issues with the drive shaft or with the exhaust? I heard something about that with an automatic but what about a manual?

Yes, but you would have issues with it even on a 2.5" lift if you run shocks that allow for too much droop. Being that you have a 3.6L motor, it would be a problem regardless of what transmission you have. A new u-joint style drive shaft is the best way to address it but, for the interim, you could run exhaust spacers to address the slip shaft boot issue. The long term problem with your CV boot failing prematurely will still need to be addressed in the future.

Hangemhigh1

what price do those types of driveshafts run? does the rear shaft get affected? excuse the lack of knowledge, do they get replaced in pairs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what price do those types of driveshafts run? does the rear shaft get affected? excuse the lack of knowledge, do they get replaced in pairs?

About $450 for a 1310 and more for a 1350. If you're just going to run 35" tires or smaller, I think a 1310 will suffice. If you plan on running 37's or larger, you really want a 1350. I personally would recommend a JE Reel or Coast shaft as they come standard with Neapco or Spicer u-joints and have proven to me to be quality shafts. Being that you have a 4-door, you should be fine with your factory shaft for quite a while.

HDGasser

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, you bending a trussed front axle housing is really no surprise and the forces that caused it wouldn't necessarily cause a front track bar to break.

Not at all, just saying if you read all the bad shit you read in online forums you'll leave your jeep stock... Yeah fat chance of that! LoL

And you of all people know it all depends what site you go to, you get different answers/recommendations/bashing/hating. One thing I think they ALL agree on is Smittybuilt is... Well Shittybuilt.

Everyone comes to the interwebs to say "hey my shit broke! WTF"!? When's the last thread you've seen started that says. "Hey my shit didn't break today"?

Now that wouldn't be fun would it. Jeep world, duramax world, atv world, Harley world... It's all the same except the ford world. Lots of threads on the 6.0 "hey I didn't blow up today! Woohoo!!"

Rancho I must say is some good stuff! I'm about to put one of there 2.5" lifts on my buddy's Sahara this friday.

Yorkie

Any reason why you haven't given the Rancho 3" Sport system a look? It even comes with an adjustable front track bar and everything is made in the USA. With their rebate going on, it's an even better deal that what you were looking at.

That rebate is what brought me to ranchero 3.5 lift

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not at all, just saying if you read all the bad shit you read in online forums you'll leave your jeep stock... Yeah fat chance of that! LoL

Well actually, I am running factory front track bars on both my JK's (yes, including Moby with his 6.2L v8 and ProRock 60 front axle) and it's because of all the different track bars I have personally run in the past including both versions of the TeraFlex Monster track bars. Just sayin :D

And you of all people know it all depends what site you go to, you get different answers/recommendations/bashing/hating.

You're absolutely right but, you've got to know that most people on all these other sites will just recommend whatever it is they chose to buy and put down everything else even though they have ZERO experience with anything else. Me, I try to base what I recommend on what I have personally tested out and or have seen with my own eyes. But hey, that's just me.

Everyone comes to the interwebs to say "hey my shit broke! WTF"!? When's the last thread you've seen started that says. "Hey my shit didn't break today"?

Really?? I can honestly say that I rarely see anyone talking smack about the products they've chosen to spend thousands of dollars on. Fact of the matter is, every time a thread like this pops up, there's always someone who will come on to say that they have one and it's held up great! If you think about it, you did just that and that's essentially the same thing as saying "hey, my shit didn't break today". Just trying to put some perspective on things.

Top Bottom