Warn PowerPlant 9.5 -OR- Warn 9.5cti & ARB Twin

Charlie Mike

Planning my first Rubicon trip with a bunch of my college buddies. Bucket list item for me, and I'm pretty excited. We plan to go late August this year. So I'm trying to schedule & budget mods before the big trip. Currently my rig has no winch and no on-board air. I dare not hit the Rubicon Trail without these two things. So should I go with Option A or Option B?

Option A: Warn PowerPlant 9.5
Option B: Warn 9.5cti & ARB Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

With Option A, of course I'm covered on both counts and I can be done with it. But I also like to plan ahead. Hopefully not anytime soon, but I know eventually my stock Rubicon E-Lockers will crap-out, and I would like to replace them with ARB lockers. So if I went with Option B, I would already have the on-board air compressor ready to go for the air lockers. Although if I decided to go with Option A, I could also just buy the small ARB Compressor (CKSA12) when the time called for it.

So decisions, decisions. Opinions? Any other Pros & Cons I'm missing? Thanks! :beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you don't need the ARB compressor for lockers now then no reason to buy it. Just buy it when you upgrade lockers.

jeeeep

Hooked
Planning my first Rubicon trip with a bunch of my college buddies. Bucket list item for me, and I'm pretty excited. We plan to go late August this year. So I'm trying to schedule & budget mods before the big trip. Currently my rig has no winch and no on-board air. I dare not hit the Rubicon Trail without these two things. So should I go with Option A or Option B?

Option A: Warn PowerPlant 9.5
Option B: Warn 9.5cti & ARB Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

With Option A, of course I'm covered on both counts and I can be done with it. But I also like to plan ahead. Hopefully not anytime soon, but I know eventually my stock Rubicon E-Lockers will crap-out, and I would like to replace them with ARB lockers. So if I went with Option B, I would already have the on-board air compressor ready to go for the air lockers. Although if I decided to go with Option A, I could also just buy the small ARB Compressor (CKSA12) when the time called for it.

So decisions, decisions. Opinions? Any other Pros & Cons I'm missing? Thanks! :beer:

I've been going back and forth with the same decision - option A it's all in one and saves valuable interior storage space. I've seen them plumbed to a small tank to help make filling tires a little faster.

option B - you could install a twin compressor in the engine bay or get the twin in the portable case with small tank but there may be other less expensive options as well, I have a generic air compressor I've been using for last 2 years, looks like a smittybilt but was cheaper, I got a chance at this years EJS to test it against a twin ARB portable and though the ARB was faster (less than 10 seconds), not enough to justify the premium price and I can air up 2 sets of tires from 18 to 35-37 almost continuous before the thermal shutoff kicks in. Also in talking to the member who owned it, it does get hot like all others and will shut down
For myself, I'm going with the powerplant because i also want to run dual batteries and even the engine compartment space it tight

pastorwug

To me there are 2 things against the Warn Powerplant:
It's huge!
It's expensive

Several things for it:
Made in the USA
Warn dependability
You solve two issues in one item - winch and air source

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow that's a tough one cause both are great routes to go. I personally like to plan ahead with my build and where I see my self and my jeep at in the next few years. So with that being said that why I did things like put 5.13's in my d30 when it isn't the smartest thing. For you I would do the twin under the hood for the eventual lockers with the smaller warn winch up front.

Here is what the twin would look like under your hood. This is y set up with one locker.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398135127.728613.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

I can tell you personally the warn fills my tires quicker and I've had zero issues with it. I do have both and prefer the warn compressor....buuuut that's only my opinion and I have done no actual tests against each other just in the field use. :yup:

RamP

Keep a lookout for deals too. I got a powerplant 12k for 1,200 shipped from a private seller.
But also factor in getting a new bumper. I had originally installed it on the stock one and it is HUGE!! I've since gotten a bumper that lowers the mounting position. It's a big difference.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398141055.491200.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398141079.884921.jpg

SDG

Caught the Bug
Cany you use the poweplant to fill a small tank that would use a pneumatic actuator for the arbs?

That way you only top off the tank when needed? Seems like it would work to me as lo g as the arb didnt leak.

Cany you use the poweplant to fill a small tank that would use a pneumatic actuator for the arbs?

That way you only top off the tank when needed? Seems like it would work to me as lo g as the arb didnt leak.

It comes with a small tank already but you could run it to another tank if you wanted. The issue would be logistics haha you have to (standard functions) have the controller engaged and the compressor mode toggled for it to run. So it would be best as a fill the tank run off tank, fill tank,etc when stopped. The ARB could be plumbed to keep the tank topped off. Hope that 1.made sense and 2.answered your question :cheesy:

I've been going back and forth with the same decision - option A it's all in one and saves valuable interior storage space. I've seen them plumbed to a small tank to help make filling tires a little faster.

option B - you could install a twin compressor in the engine bay or get the twin in the portable case with small tank but there may be other less expensive options as well, I have a generic air compressor I've been using for last 2 years, looks like a smittybilt but was cheaper, I got a chance at this years EJS to test it against a twin ARB portable and though the ARB was faster (less than 10 seconds), not enough to justify the premium price and I can air up 2 sets of tires from 18 to 35-37 almost continuous before the thermal shutoff kicks in. Also in talking to the member who owned it, it does get hot like all others and will shut down
For myself, I'm going with the powerplant because i also want to run dual batteries and even the engine compartment space it tight

Carolina metal masters does make a nifty under seat mount for the ARB twin that you may find beneficial! Keeps room freed up in your engine compartment and places the compressor in a dry and clean environment that would otherwise go unused

Road_king

I've had the Powerplant for 5 years and we use it a lot. It's fast but if I had it to do over I would have taken the separate route! Winch good warranty - air part 1 year. Even if problems under warranty how easy is to ship a 100 lb piece of equipment to one of their repair facilities. I've had a couple of problems with the compressor but have had great luck getting what I needed to fix it myself. I have ended getting a decent compressor as a back up to use when and if problems develope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RamP

If you do decide to put a winch on the stock bumper I still have the Warn mount. P/N 88140. I'll ship it to you for what I paid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, I personally would get the PowerPlant as it really is a great winch and airs up tires surprisingly fast. It is the reason why I have one on each of my JK's and still have an ARB for my lockers.

jeff_in_rc

OK guys, I have the 9500 Powerplant and 35's and it will air them up from 10 to 32 in a minute and a half each and I really like it. I will also say that it has been repaired twice on Warn's dime, good on them!

BUT if your thinking of using a seperate air tank it CAN NOT be tied into the system permanately as the high pressure switch will shut it off thereby killing the winch side of the powerplant.
Ask me how I know! Anyway if you use a tank for your lockers just fill it from the powerplant like you would a tire and you'll be OK.

Also, do NOT replace the male connector on the PP with a female connector for the very same reason, the pressure switch will kill the motor and you will not have a winch.

Charlie Mike

Thanks for the input everyone! Still not sure which way I'm going to go, but reviewing everyone's opinions will definitely help me as I get closer to biting the bullet.

Warn redesigned the powerplant and we have 4 of the older version in stock that we can make you a deal on if that is the route you decide to take.

David

Top Bottom