Coilovers....do I need to upgrade ??

Jk958

Hello everyone, currently running a 4" plush coils with king 2.5 oem bolt on shocks on a 2 door 6.4 hemi jk.
Is there a reason why I would upgrade to a ORE lcg coil over system ? Some said that the 2.5 OEM king shocks are in fact better than the 2.0 coilovers supplied by ORE. Clear the mist please !!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone, currently running a 4" plush coils with king 2.5 oem bolt on shocks on a 2 door 6.4 hemi jk.
Is there a reason why I would upgrade to a ORE lcg coil over system ? Some said that the 2.5 OEM king shocks are in fact better than the 2.0 coilovers supplied by ORE. Clear the mist please !!!

What you heard is correct to a degree. Where the coil overs will be better is in the amount of travel that they provide. Being that you probably don't have a lot of rock crawling in your area, I would stick with what you got. If you really wanted more, you'd need to look at the DTD which comes with bypass shocks. On the dunes, this would be a great setup.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I'm interested to hear what people who have run both have to say on this question. I'm not sure you would see a substantial enough performance gain between bolt-on coilovers and the Enforcer/King 2.5 system to justify scrapping the Enforcer. Starting from scratch is one thing, but pulling one system to put in another is a different discussion in my book (because you will lose money on your original system.)

Jk958

What you heard is correct to a degree. Where the coil overs will be better is in the amount of travel that they provide. Being that you probably don't have a lot of rock crawling in your area, I would stick with what you got. If you really wanted more, you'd need to look at the DTD which comes with bypass shocks. On the dunes, this would be a great setup.

I guess I'll stick with my current set up then ! I'll add air bumps and I guess I'm all set up. Cheers !!

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have the same set up on my 4 door. I've looked into this a lot. I see no reason to drop what you have in favor of the bolt-ons as the performance gains, if any, will be marginal IMHO. However, as Eddie mentioned, moving to the DTD/EvoLever is a whole different story. That is what I will eventually do. :yup: If you are driving fast through the desert you might consider adding King air bumps if you haven't already. They will keep you from bottoming out as much, which was really the only limitation I have seen with my set up.

Edit: I see you added the part about the air bumps while I was typing. :thumb:

Jk958

I'm interested to hear what people who have run both have to say on this question. I'm not sure you would see a substantial enough performance gain between bolt-on coilovers and the Enforcer/King 2.5 system to justify scrapping the Enforcer. Starting from scratch is one thing, but pulling one system to put in another is a different discussion in my book (because you will lose money on your original system.)

I've seen so much talk over the internet about coilovers and it made me think hmmmmm...... I think I'm missing a lot but as @wayalife said, my next upgrade will be a double throwdown system !

Jk958

I have the same set up on my 4 door. I've looked into this a lot. I see no reason to drop what you have in favor of the bolt-ons as the performance gains, if any, will be marginal IMHO. However, as Eddie mentioned, moving to the DTD/EvoLever is a whole different story. That is what I will eventually do. :yup: If you are driving fast through the desert you might consider adding King air bumps if you haven't already. They will keep you from bottoming out as much, which was really the only limitation I have seen with my set up.

Edit: I see you added the part about the air bumps while I was typing. :thumb:

Thanks a lot !! Yep I'm missing the air bumps part. Will place an order real soon! But It's gonna be a long while till I upgrade to a DTD system. Eventually I will..not today

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Is the DTD system the way to go ?

Is it superior to coil overs ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, the DTD system is superior to running just coilovers. The DTD system utilizes coilovers paired with a bypass shock at each corner. This enables you to run harder for a longer period of time (providing your rig can handle it) without experiencing a decline in shock performance. In addition, it runs a cantilever system in the rear. What you end up with is a system that can run fast more efficiently, and offers more flex.

GCM 2

Is the DTD system the way to go ?

Is it superior to coil overs ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Double Throw Down (DTD) already has a coilover at each corner, but then adds an additional multi-tube bypass shock at each corner. So yes, it is superior to just a coilover. However, the DTD is a suspension system, that by design, is for going very fast over rough terrain and over long distances. Think of Baja style racing and that is where you will find the origins of the Double Throw Down. This type of suspension set up has migrated now into the world of rock crawling because a portion of the sport has evolved into combining open desert racing and rock crawling into one event, this would be the Ultra 4 series of off road racing. Like most forms of Motorsports, the racing technology trickles down to the average weekend offroader's vehicle. The DTD is the best of the best for Offroad suspensions, but as a few guys have already mentioned, you don't need it and the majority of the guys who run this set up on their daily driver will rarely ever explore the complete ability of a coilover and bypass shock......but if you want the best and want everyone to know you have the best, well Double Throw Down is going to achieve that.

xflstl

Yes, the DTD system is superior to running just coilovers. The DTD system utilizes coilovers paired with a bypass shock at each corner. This enables you to run harder for a longer period of time (providing your rig can handle it) without experiencing a decline in shock performance. In addition, it runs a cantilever system in the rear. What you end up with is a system that can run fast more efficiently, and offers more flex.

I have seen several people say the DTD system offers more flex. Can someone please enlighten me? Flex is limited by x/y/z. What am I missing here?

Sent from my SCH-I605

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen several people say the DTD system offers more flex. Can someone please enlighten me? Flex is limited by x/y/z. What am I missing here?

Sent from my SCH-I605

For the most part, flex is limited by the length of shock you can run. I say for the most part because things like component or joint bind can restrict flex as well. In the case of the DTD, it's brackets up front and EVO lever in the rear offers a true 14" of vertical travel. Flex is purposefully limited up front by shock length as anymore droop would cause drive line bind and in the rear, flex is limited with limiting straps as any more droop and you would have driveline bind there as well. A lot of competitors offer kits that can provide a good amount of droop but do not offer the kind of stuff that the DTD provides and good "flex" will offer both.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
For the most part, flex is limited by the length of shock you can run. I say for the most part because things like component or joint bind can restrict flex as well. In the case of the DTD, it's brackets up front and EVO lever in the rear offers a true 14" of vertical travel. Flex is purposefully limited up front by shock length as anymore droop would cause drive line bind and in the rear, flex is limited with limiting straps as any more droop and you would have driveline bind there as well.

It is my understanding that the cantilever system itself allows more flex out of a specific length coilover, for example 14" of true verticle wheel travel from a 12" coilover. This is due to the length the 'levers' add to the mix. Is this correct? I am sure there is more to it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is my understanding that the cantilever system itself allows more flex out of a specific length coilover, for example 14" of true verticle wheel travel from a 12" coilover. This is due to the length the 'levers' add to the mix. Is this correct? I am sure there is more to it?

Your understanding is correct and if you can believe it, the rear coil overs on an EVO lever are only 8" long. The mechanics of it allow for the 14" of travel. Likewise, up front, a DTD coil over is only 12" long but, due to the geometry of the angled back brackets, you not only get a much higher mounting position that allows for a much lower stance, it also allows for a true 14" of travel. Other companies will sell you coil overs that are 14" long BUT, because of how their kits are designed, will require you to sit sky high and in some cases, only allow a pathetic 9.5" of vertical travel - a total waste.

GCM 2

Correct, it is built into the design of the EVO lever system. The cantilever offers a mechanical advantage through leverage which allows a 10" coilover and bypass ( I think they are 10") to achieve the same amount of travel as a vertically mounted 14" coil over bypass

Edit; as Wayoflife states it could be 8" shock length

IMG_2300.jpg

seanb123

While on topic what are advantages of the evo lever over just large weld in coilovers through the tubs as I've seen some do. Other that getting the coilovers out of the way of course

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Correct, it is built into the design of the EVO lever system. The cantilever offers a mechanical advantage through leverage which allows a 10" coilover and bypass ( I think they are 10") to achieve the same amount of travel as a vertically mounted 14" coil over bypass

Edit; as Wayoflife states it could be 8" shock length

View attachment 84634

I was talking to Cindy about this just now and my information could be outdated. I was going off of what we had back when we first got our EVO lever installed. Back then, there was no DTD and I know since then, a lot of updates have been made to it including the new cantilever arms, addition of bypass shocks and side supports. All of this looks different from what we first had and I did not confirm the new coil over/bypass shock lengths when we upgraded to the DTD which also involved the complete replacement of EVO lever frame and cantilever arms.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While on topic what are advantages of the evo lever over just large weld in coilovers through the tubs as I've seen some do. Other that getting the coilovers out of the way of course

The biggest advantage of the EVO lever is that you don't have to cut into the tub. Even if you boxed them in to cut out noise, exhaust gases and dust, you would still loose all kinds of useable cargo space. Of course, being protected by the sub frame and out of harms way is a big perk too. Coil overs that hang down to the axle are exposed and can be damaged on the trail.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
The biggest advantage of the EVO lever is that you don't have to cut into the tub. Even if you boxed them in to cut out noise, exhaust gases and dust, you would still loose all kinds of useable cargo space. Of course, being protected by the sub frame and out of harms way is a big perk too. Coil overs that hang down to the axle are exposed and can be damaged on the trail.

you mean you wouldn't want this sweet set up? who needs cargo space?:crazyeyes:
1-alpha9.jpg

Top Bottom