Should I upgrade ??

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I know that it's not financially the smartest move but lately I've been thinking about getting a new jeep. I've got a 2010 and still owe about $10k on it. I've got EVO rock rails and skins and also a pr44 front axle, lift and 35s but other than that not much a has been done.

I know I could probably get the pr44 swapped over and maybe have the sliders cut off and redone.

Is the Newer jeep motor and interior really worth it?? This is a very difficult decision for me. But every time I drive past a dealership I just get a feeling like I want the new motor!!

Opinions, thoughts, advice, all welcome

Ah2014jk

I had an 11 Jku that I traded for a 14... Just for the engine. I didn't have the PR44 but if u can switch it over I think the engine is worth it!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I had an 09 sport and traded it in for a 14 rubi. However, i didnt have the amount of stuff you already have on yours. If it is easy to swap them over id say go for it. If not i would keep what you have.

Loading please wait....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's tough. The new motor does offer a lot more HP and now that chrysler seems to have worked the bugs, it's hard not to want. But, you already have your jeep well on its way to being built up nicely. If it were me, I might wait till your Jeep is paid off or until the new wrangler comes out.

eddy

I would trade in the old and start fresh. If it were a used jeep then maybe swap some items. New jeep new everything, that`s just my take on it.

thardy

Banned
I'd say wait and continue to save until you can swap a v8 in the one you have!

Sent from the Wayalife mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Unless you have a bunch of extra money laying around (e.g. liquid for $100K or more, see what I did there?) I'd keep what you got. :thumb:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Unless you have a bunch of extra money laying around (e.g. liquid for $100K or more, see what I did there?) I'd keep what you got. :thumb:

I have to sorry, you could use a new one for a write off. :confused: so I hear...

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
But only if you decide to finance in all your upgrades!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
as others have said i would keep it. it is very tempting but you have a solid set up right now and its only something thats easy to improve upon

bkac

Caught the Bug
Keep it, look at Moby! Lots of potential. More money saved for mods.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Honestly, with the residuals of the JK your loss would be minimal, and for me, that small loss is worth the new motor. I traded in my 2012 for a 2014 after owning it for 2 years and 23k, and lost $2000.

jeeeep

Hooked
I know that it's not financially the smartest move but lately I've been thinking about getting a new jeep. I've got a 2010 and still owe about $10k on it. I've got EVO rock rails and skins and also a pr44 front axle, lift and 35s but other than that not much a has been done.

I know I could probably get the pr44 swapped over and maybe have the sliders cut off and redone.

Is the Newer jeep motor and interior really worth it?? This is a very difficult decision for me. But every time I drive past a dealership I just get a feeling like I want the new motor!!

Opinions, thoughts, advice, all welcome

I have a 2010 as well with a few upgrades including PR44, I've considered trading it in with but after running the numbers I decided I could do an LS swap + other upgrades for less than the cost of trading up.

If they announce a diesel then I might consider it or just buy another Jeep

Have you considered the costs of swapping axles? will you trade your 2010 or are will you private sell it? trading in would be difficult as they would want it as is.
do you have the stock sliders to put back on? what about the skins? I imagine you would have to leave those on or get body work done to patch the holes.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Yeah I really haven't seriously thought about it or run numbers but it would be a lot of work to start over. New Jeeps are just so nice they will always be desired!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I already did do that because I'm $300k liquid ;)

That's it? I'm One Million Dollars liquid, insert Dr. Evil laugh here. Lol.

Forgot I was going to add my thoughts to the OP. I upgraded from a 2008 bare bones 6 speed X model to a 2014 fully loaded automatic Rubicon. I love the 2014 and really haven't found any or that many negatives about it. There are however several reasons I miss my 2008. However, those reasons aren't enough that I'm regretting the purchase of the 2014. All the mods I had done to the 08 were a simple bolt on of bumpers and stuff so it was fairly easy to strip and put onto the 14 and everything I had purchased so far will work on the 14 so that made it easier. I did lose a set of wheel spacers and some 285s when I traded cause the dealer wanted those left on there, which is fine because they were blue spydertrax spacers and now they make black spydertrax spacers. Stupid I know but I want to keep the white and black only theme on the 14. Lol.

If I would have already had a pr44, lift and 35s I probably wouldn't have traded. One reason I did trade was I was trying to get 35s and would have to regear. With the 14 Rubicon I got the 4.10s so they will work for a while with 35s. Unfortunately I am now having the 35s vs 37s debate with myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom