Steering wheel off center

Srainesrubi

I was out wheeling yesterday and while crossing some shallow water the front passenger side of my jeep found some not so shallow water I dropped into the hole and blew the sidewall out of my tire and my steering wheel is now sitting damn near upside down I think maybe the steering linkage slipped on the shaft coming out of the gear box anyone else had this issue any advice would be helpful thanks

Panda

I was out wheeling yesterday and while crossing some shallow water the front passenger side of my jeep found some not so shallow water I dropped into the hole and blew the sidewall out of my tire and my steering wheel is now sitting damn near upside down I think maybe the steering linkage slipped on the shaft coming out of the gear box anyone else had this issue any advice would be helpful thanks

It happens it's an easy fix, Eddie can help you here http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...nt-End-Alignment&p=42376&viewfull=1#post42376

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, your problem is more than likely one of the above mentioned. If you're unlucky, you've twisted your sector shaft.

Srainesrubi

Which one is the sector shaft I don't see it in the pic where you have everything labeled and also I see nothing under my front that is bent so hopefully it just knocked the track bar loose Il check that when I get off of work

Srainesrubi

Oh by the way you guys are badass I wasn't expecting to get a reply quickly much less three different guys trying to help I feel honored to be apart of a community of jeepers that is so quick to lend there knowledge and support thanks guys

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
sector shaft is the one exiting the steering box, pretty weak and prone to twisting, bending, breaking if hit hard. However in your case I'd bet on a bent drag link, or slipped linkage...

Srainesrubi

Ok I'm pretty sure it's the linkage it still tracks straight going down the highway and nothing looks bent or broken

Srainesrubi

So I got my steering wheel recentered but I noticed my axle is pushed about an inch and a half to the driver side is there a way to re center the axle without an adjustable track bar or should I pay to have it done

So I got my steering wheel recentered but I noticed my axle is pushed about an inch and a half to the driver side is there a way to re center the axle without an adjustable track bar or should I pay to have it done

How much lift and where are you measuring ? 11/2 is not possible unless something is seriously broke.

Could the sector shaft cause a loud pop when turning hard right or left?

Sorry don't mean to hijack the op just had a question

Do not think the sector shaft would cause a loud pop when turning hard left or right. I would look at the drag link or tie rod to see if there is something loose.

Srainesrubi

How much lift and where are you measuring ? 11/2 is not possible unless something is seriously broke.

I'm jst eye balling it and I have no lift I'm completely stock. Would turning the drag link turnbuckle the wrong way throw the axle off out of line? I can't find an adjustable track bar in town and the nearest one is about four days to get here! My passenger side coil is rubbing my frame and my jeep is riding rough as hell I'm jst trying to get it fixed as quick as possible bc I have no other transportation

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'm jst eye balling it and I have no lift I'm completely stock. Would turning the drag link turnbuckle the wrong way throw the axle off out of line? I can't find an adjustable track bar in town and the nearest one is about four days to get here! My passenger side coil is rubbing my frame and my jeep is riding rough as hell I'm jst trying to get it fixed as quick as possible bc I have no other transportation

Is your track bar bent? The track bar is the only thing that centers your axle. Shouldn't need an adjustable one since you're still stock.

Top Bottom