Steering wheel off center

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
It looks straight to me nothing else seems to be broken or bent

Get under the jeep and remove the track bar bolt on one side to see if it recenters (it should if the track bar is pulling for some reason). If it doesn't there is a problem other than the track bar.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I was looking for an adjustable one because it's probably cheaper than getting oe from the dealer

Check pricing from a parts store, probably get a Moog or Precision cheaper than Mopar. Your track bar is probably bent but not enough to tell with the naked eye due to it having curves in it by design.

Srainesrubi

Ok so I took one side loose and nothing happened so if it not the track bar then what else would cause the entire axle to be off centered

Srainesrubi

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414455990.888819.jpg Lca mount this was probably point of impact would the have anything to do with the axle shift it looks pretty bent compared to the driver side

Srainesrubi

Get under the jeep and remove the track bar bolt on one side to see if it recenters (it should if the track bar is pulling for some reason). If it doesn't there is a problem other than the track bar.

So if the track bar isn't bent and it the only piece that centers the axle then what else could be the problem because it didn't shift when I pulled it from the axle

Srainesrubi

No it won't.

Something's bent. Why don't you take it to a shop. Put the jeep on a alignment rack.

I haven't taken it to a shop yet because I'm a cheap ass and if I can fix it myself then I'm gonna try everything I can to save the money but yes as soon as I can I will get it to a shop

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd revisit the sector shaft, if you hit hard enough it's possible it spun on the shaft and under normal driving it'll steer ok until under load.

Look for signs of paint missing or shiny areas indicating it spun on the shaft.

look at the gap around the hood and front grill, are they equally distant or is one side closer than the other?

Srainesrubi

I'd revisit the sector shaft, if you hit hard enough it's possible it spun on the shaft and under normal driving it'll steer ok until under load.

Look for signs of paint missing or shiny areas indicating it spun on the shaft.

look at the gap around the hood and front grill, are they equally distant or is one side closer than the other?

The steering is fine I worked all that out a few days ago. I'm just worried about the alignment of the front axle. I think that some of it has to do with the lca mount I'm gonna straighten that out this evening and take it to be aligned on wed. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm gonna lift my jeep in early December so I jst need it to be good until then. Then if there are anymore kinks to work out il take care of them then. thanks for the help guys

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could the sector shaft cause a loud pop when turning hard right or left?

Not likely unless a tooth were busted but, if that were the case, you'd know it. Typically, a loud pop when turning is caused by something shifting. More times than not, it's something like a track bar bolt that isn't quite tightened to torque spec and holds just long enough to allow for a sudden slip - thus, the loud pop.

So I got my steering wheel recentered but I noticed my axle is pushed about an inch and a half to the driver side is there a way to re center the axle without an adjustable track bar or should I pay to have it done

How much lift and where are you measuring ?

I don't think I saw it but, did the OP ever say how much lift he has? If you are not running an adjustable track bar now or relocation bracket, the shift has always been there and you are just now seeing it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The steering is fine I worked all that out a few days ago. I'm just worried about the alignment of the front axle. I think that some of it has to do with the lca mount I'm gonna straighten that out this evening and take it to be aligned on wed. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm gonna lift my jeep in early December so I jst need it to be good until then. Then if there are anymore kinks to work out il take care of them then. thanks for the help guys

Not that I think it is your sector shaft but, IF it were, your steering WOULD BE fine. At least, for now anyway.

How much lift does your Jeep have and being that you do not have an adjustable front track bar, is it safe to assume you have a drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket installed?

Jeeper Jr.

Not that I think it is your sector shaft but, IF it were, your steering WOULD BE fine. At least, for now anyway.

How much lift does your Jeep have and being that you do not have an adjustable front track bar, is it safe to assume you have a drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket installed?

He said he doesn't have any lift on right now. Pretty much stock if I understand correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
He said he doesn't have any lift on right now. Pretty much stock if I understand correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If that's the case and his axle really is shifted over, I would start by giving the track bar mounts a closer look. Not like I haven't seen my fair share of tearing or torn off ones in the past and, that would even explain a loud popping sound when turning the steering wheel.

Srainesrubi

Sorry been busy the last couple days. My track bar is bent around the bend that goes over the diff I ordered an adjustable track bar should be here in a few days. Just limping around and parking it when I can. hopefully everything will be back in order early next week my steering is fine for now like Eddie said it WOULD BE. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes low that I didn't twist my sector shaft I'm sure its a PITA to replace an entire steering box but oh well if it is I had fun screwing it up got a few good souvenirs from the trails ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414789368.060380.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414789644.892782.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414789664.301345.jpg
Thanks for everyone's input il update sometime next week

Sorry been busy the last couple days. My track bar is bent around the bend that goes over the diff I ordered an adjustable track bar should be here in a few days. Just limping around and parking it when I can. hopefully everything will be back in order early next week my steering is fine for now like Eddie said it WOULD BE. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes low that I didn't twist my sector shaft I'm sure its a PITA to replace an entire steering box but oh well if it is I had fun screwing it up got a few good souvenirs from the trails View attachment 107421 View attachment 107422 View attachment 107423
Thanks for everyone's input il update sometime next week

How did the track bar bend ?

Srainesrubi

I was crossing some shallow water and my front passenger tire found a big hole I hit really hard the guy that was riding shotgun almost came out of the jeep I blew a tire also

Top Bottom