2008 jeep jk oil leak

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
looks like it starats high up on the engine bay. maybe start from the top and work your way done.

did you happen to just do an oil change?

looks like it starts high up on the engine bay. maybe start from the top and work your way done.

did you happen to just do an oil change?

Fixed it for you.

OP I would check the oil filter area to see if the seal may be pinched or it is doubled up.

R/
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Fixed it for you.

OP I would check the oil filter area to see if the seal may be pinched or it is doubled up.

R/
Will

thanks Will. didnt sleep well last night so im struggling with typing emails and post this morning lol

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You know, if this were an old TJ, YJ or even CJ, I'd say you have a rear main seal that's bad. A very common leak for the old 4.0L and 258. But, I haven't seen to many of these on the newer 3.8L.

Agreed. Definitely make sure you do NOT over torque the bolts.

My 07 JK had a rear main go out when it was fairly new.

Hohertz

You know, if this were an old TJ, YJ or even CJ, I'd say you have a rear main seal that's bad. A very common leak for the old 4.0L and 258. But, I haven't seen to many of these on the newer 3.8L.

Agreed. Definitely make sure you do NOT over torque the bolts.

As I posted yesterday, I have a similar oil leak... however very minor from what I can tell. I don't even notice any real change in the oil level or any oil spots left under my Jeep. What about trying a oil leak sealant? Any harm in doing this I should be made aware of? Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I posted yesterday, I have a similar oil leak... however very minor from what I can tell. I don't even notice any real change in the oil level or any oil spots left under my Jeep. What about trying a oil leak sealant? Any harm in doing this I should be made aware of? Thanks!

Before you start throwing things into your motor to try and fix a leak, have you checked the torque on your bolts?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes I had just changed the oil about a week ago...

i ask cause maybe there was just some oil that spilled out when doing it. as wayalife said check the torque on your bolts and clean up all the grease on the motor with some simple green. this will hopefully help you fix it but also if it doesn come back allow you to lcate the source of the leak better

Hohertz

Before you start throwing things into your motor to try and fix a leak, have you checked the torque on your bolts?

I have not. I'll check them this evening. From the link to project-jk above I found the oil pan bolts to be torqued only to roughly 10 ft/lbs (105 in/lbs). Is that right? Are there other bolts I should check? Thanks again!

Top Bottom