Any cold weather camping advice?

jfallon1

As the title states, I need some help from the experienced ones. I'm going on a 4 day camping trip through parts of northern AL and into TN the last week of this month. I'll be sleeping in a tent. I understand I'll need a warm sleeping bag and clothes but other than that, what's ya'lls advice on how to stay from being complete miserable? Also, any advice on what gear to bring? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Layers and more layers oh and dry clothes.

Basically layer up and keep dry. Do not put so many clothes on where you will begin to sweat because that can cause hypothermia.

pastorwug

Camping in the snow is over-rated. Camping on a beach - the best!

I grew up 50 yards from the beach in Coronado and didn't see my first snowflake fall until I was 18!
Me and cold weather don't do too well together.

Why be miserable - to me it would take hundreds of bucks to be prepared for snow camping - beach camping, just need your suit and a nice beach chair.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Get a nice sleeping bag and a nice sleeping pad. Those two will keep you warm at night. When sleeping don't sleep with clothes on in the sleeping bag. Air mattresses are not helpful as they release your body warmth into the ground.

We were on a trip on time and some guy said he was cold in the middle of the night so he got up and put all of his clothes on and then was super cold. Lol

You can also pick up a cheap rent heater on eBay if you want one of those.

jfallon1

Camping in the snow is over-rated. Camping on a beach - the best!

I grew up 50 yards from the beach in Coronado and didn't see my first snowflake fall until I was 18!
Me and cold weather don't do too well together.

Why be miserable - to me it would take hundreds of bucks to be prepared for snow camping - beach camping, just need your suit and a nice beach chair.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

I know where you are coming from. But there's no wheeling at the beach. I need to wheel some rock. Nothing but mud in south MS

hbkid22

Are you going to be car camping or more backpacking? As that also determines a lot of what you need and dont need....

jfallon1

Get a nice sleeping bag and a nice sleeping pad. Those two will keep you warm at night. When sleeping don't sleep with clothes on in the sleeping bag. Air mattresses are not helpful as they release your body warmth into the ground.

We were on a trip on time and some guy said he was cold in the middle of the night so he got up and put all of his clothes on and then was super cold. Lol

You can also pick up a cheap rent heater on eBay if you want one of those.

I've got army cots I was gonna use but that's a no go right? Same principal as the mattress with releasing the heat?

Also, i planned to bring a small propane heater as I will be sleeping in a tent (I failed to mention that). What's y'all's input on that? I'm sorta afraid of the propane gas inside a tent?

I've got a Columbia mummy sleeping bag rated for 30 degrees or warmer so hopefully I'll be good on that.

jfallon1

Are you going to be car camping or more backpacking? As that also determines a lot of what you need and dont need....

I'll be sleeping in a tent at night but travel by my jeep. Staying at a few offroad parks along the way

Jackal01

I will second the layering, and good bag and pad. Probably the most important aspect to any camping attire. Cold weather camping I would have a base layer as thermal top and bottoms, (depending on the temp rise in the day) zip off pants (that convert to shorts) and then either fleece pants or breathable pants that break the wind. Light fleece top then heavier jacket that will keep you warm/break the wind/weather proof. That is the way I always setup my clothes and never fails and always warm. Then I have a beenie and gloves (when needed). I also sleep with my next-day-clothes in my bag to keep them somewhat warm. Doesn't always work if you move a lot because the clothes will slide to your feet and there is virtually no heat down there. I am not one for luxurious camping but I do have a coleman single propane heater that I use in the morning edit:(outside the tent of course) to keep my hands warm but otherwise I just bundle up. Also make sure your tent has good ventilation, don't zip all the windows. And keep lots of hot chocolate around...that is what the misses and I do also to stay warm.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've got army cots I was gonna use but that's a no go right? Same principal as the mattress with releasing the heat?

Also, i planned to bring a small propane heater as I will be sleeping in a tent (I failed to mention that). What's y'all's input on that? I'm sorta afraid of the propane gas inside a tent?

I've got a Columbia mummy sleeping bag rated for 30 degrees or warmer so hopefully I'll be good on that.

I would skip the cot and get a sleeping pad at REI or the like. I've used propane heaters to get the chill out but I am also hesitant on running one all night. When camping in NY in the winter I would run it for a bit before going to bed and then normally turn it on during the night for a bit when it got cold. With the tent zipped up and tight the heat will last a while.

stweasel

The sleeping pad will make all the difference in the world, you need that layer to insulate your body from cold surfaces. My wife likes fill up a hot-water bottle from the camp stove and put it in her bag. Put the rainfly on the tent as this will trap in the heat. I'm not a big fan of putting a heater in the tent as the plastic is quite flammable and cramped quarters make it easy to knock over (reality is i'm a bit clumsy)

hbkid22

Since you will be car camping it is a lot more forgiving and dont be afraid to over pack if you have the room since you dont have to worry about taking only what you can carry.....My advice is to get a good blow up pad and a sleeping bag.....I think a 20 degree bag is a good all around bag you can use all 4 seasons unless you plan on winter winter camping (10 degrees or below at night)....You can always layer up when you go to sleep.....Beanie/gloves are a given and sleep with the beanie on if you get cold....Down jacket if you have one....Like mentioned above thermal base layers are awesome.....And I would only use those at night when sleeping or when the sun goes down to help keep them clean for the whole trip.....A good wind breaker jacket is nice if you have one and if its big enough to go over top of your down jacket you will be plenty warm standing around the fire.....Dont go over board on layering up with socks (only need one good pair) or clothes at night as that can actually work against you and cut off blood flow which will make you colder....If you can layer correctly you will be surprised at how little you actually need....Another thing you can do to keep the feet warm at night is put some extra clothes down at the feet of your sleeping bag to help provide some extra insulation from the outside of the bag....It helps a lot.

2 years ago I went on a backpacking/snowshoe trip with a buddy and it got down to 8 degrees at night and I was warm with a 20 degree bag....All I had on was a good base layer (top/bottom), pants, fleece jacket, down jacket and my wind breaker (non-insulated) in that order as well....That is what I wore at night outside without a fire as everything was to wet....I slept in my thermals, down vest and beanie but I also sleep warm and enjoy the cold.

hbkid22

And I would steer clear of a portable heater....You dont need one if you layer correctly and as mentioned above boil some water right before bed and put it in a water bottle then hold it between your legs when you go to bed and that will make you nice and toasty....

jfallon1

Or buy a few hand warmers and throw them in the sleeping bag.

I was just fixing to mention the hand warmers when they got to talking about the warm bottle.

What brand of sleeping pad do ya'll recommend? I'm making a trip to Gander Mountain this weekend to pick up my pistol and was gonna check on some things.

Jackal01

I was just fixing to mention the hand warmers when they got to talking about the warm bottle.

What brand of sleeping pad do ya'll recommend? I'm making a trip to Gander Mountain this weekend to pick up my pistol and was gonna check on some things.

I have always used Thermarest. They make a few different kids: inflatable, egg crate, etc. I prefer the self-inflating ones.

jfallon1

Since you will be car camping it is a lot more forgiving and dont be afraid to over pack if you have the room since you dont have to worry about taking only what you can carry.....My advice is to get a good blow up pad and a sleeping bag.....I think a 20 degree bag is a good all around bag you can use all 4 seasons unless you plan on winter winter camping (10 degrees or below at night)....You can always layer up when you go to sleep.....Beanie/gloves are a given and sleep with the beanie on if you get cold....Down jacket if you have one....Like mentioned above thermal base layers are awesome.....And I would only use those at night when sleeping or when the sun goes down to help keep them clean for the whole trip.....A good wind breaker jacket is nice if you have one and if its big enough to go over top of your down jacket you will be plenty warm standing around the fire.....Dont go over board on layering up with socks (only need one good pair) or clothes at night as that can actually work against you and cut off blood flow which will make you colder....If you can layer correctly you will be surprised at how little you actually need....Another thing you can do to keep the feet warm at night is put some extra clothes down at the feet of your sleeping bag to help provide some extra insulation from the outside of the bag....It helps a lot.

2 years ago I went on a backpacking/snowshoe trip with a buddy and it got down to 8 degrees at night and I was warm with a 20 degree bag....All I had on was a good base layer (top/bottom), pants, fleece jacket, down jacket and my wind breaker (non-insulated) in that order as well....That is what I wore at night outside without a fire as everything was to wet....I slept in my thermals, down vest and beanie but I also sleep warm and enjoy the cold.

Thanks for the detail info. I've got thermal layers and good thermal socks as well an a good Columbia jacket and windbreaker. I've got the little things like gloves and beanies so I'm hoping that'll be enough.

Also I plan to spray the tent down with a water repellant in case of snow and I will bring a turp to maybe throw over the top of the tent to keep dew from settling on the walls.

MTG

Caught the Bug
To avoid being miserable, try camping somewhere other than AL or TN. :idontknow: :cheesy:

We camped at the wayalife kickoff run a couple of years ago and it was single digits. As above, sleeping pads, a good bag and base layer clothing and you should be good. :thumb:

jagerhelix

Quick tips. Take a wide mouth Gatorade, drink it and use it for a piss bottle at night. Sounds gross, but you'll see when its freezing how much you want to get out of your tent to pee. Also, if you have to pee, just do it. If you fight it you'll toss and turn and eventually just get up anyway. Hot nalgene bottle is excellent in a sleeping bag to keep warm. Plus if its very cold you don't have to worry about it freezing and you'll have water for the morning. Widemouth preferred because the narrow ones freeze closed a lot faster. Also, buy some down camp booties, they are the shit. And you can wear them around instead of dragging muddy boots in your tent. Also, keep a little snackage close. If you wake up cold, eat a quick snack, it causes your system to work and generates heat. Like feeding a furnace. Good sleeping bag, propper clothing and the ability to make coffee in a vestibule really increases the happiness level. Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom