Any cold weather camping advice?

Some of these basic gear requirements have been mentioned, but I will repeat:

(1) Insulated sleeping pad.
(2) Properly rated sleeping bag.
(3) Properly rated and set up tent. (If you will get rain or snow, you better make sure sure your tent's seams have been properly sealed and you better make sure you know how to properly set up and stake your fly to ensure it is not touching the walls of the tent.)
(4) Appropriate clothing used in layers. Appropriate footwear and at least one extra pair of socks.

Tips:

(1) Don't sleep with much in terms of clothes on (maybe just a thin long underwear base layer.) If your body heat isn't reaching your sleeping bag, you aren't getting the insulating benefits of the bag.
(2) If your head will be outside of the bag, sleep with a warm hat on (you lose a lot of heat through your head.)
(3) Don't go to bed feeling like you have to take a dump. It takes a lot of body heat/energy to keep a dump passable in your body. (TMI, I know, but I promise you will sleep warmer if you drop the kids off at the pool before climbing into your bag.)
(4) Hot water bottle in the bag is a good way to start warming up the bag before you climb in, and it will preserve some of your body's own heat energy.
(5) Don't drink alcohol. It will absolutely make you sleep colder, and it will also likely cause you to have to take a leak in the middle of the night.

Personally, I'm not a fan of propane heaters. They can kill you in a number of different ways. With a little gear planning and knowledge, you can comfortably camp in sub-freezing temps with no issues and no reliance on propane.

You're camping in Tennessee and Alabama, not inside the Arctic circle. You'll be okay.

Well shit bro, I appreciate you telling me everything I already know. I should have stated in the title that I needed USEFUL advice. My apologies.

Move along now.

Last edited:
A "space blanket" if you can find one. Put it inside your sleeping bag and wrap up in it. If you sweat, take it out 'cause they don't breathe. Enjoy the trip!:yup:

Some of these basic gear requirements have been mentioned, but I will repeat:

(1) Insulated sleeping pad.
(2) Properly rated sleeping bag.
(3) Properly rated and set up tent. (If you will get rain or snow, you better make sure sure your tent's seams have been properly sealed and you better make sure you know how to properly set up and stake your fly to ensure it is not touching the walls of the tent.)
(4) Appropriate clothing used in layers. Appropriate footwear and at least one extra pair of socks.

Tips:

(1) Don't sleep with much in terms of clothes on (maybe just a thin long underwear base layer.) If your body heat isn't reaching your sleeping bag, you aren't getting the insulating benefits of the bag.
(2) If your head will be outside of the bag, sleep with a warm hat on (you lose a lot of heat through your head.)
(3) Don't go to bed feeling like you have to take a dump. It takes a lot of body heat/energy to keep a dump passable in your body. (TMI, I know, but I promise you will sleep warmer if you drop the kids off at the pool before climbing into your bag.)
(4) Hot water bottle in the bag is a good way to start warming up the bag before you climb in, and it will preserve some of your body's own heat energy.
(5) Don't drink alcohol. It will absolutely make you sleep colder, and it will also likely cause you to have to take a leak in the middle of the night.

Personally, I'm not a fan of propane heaters. They can kill you in a number of different ways. With a little gear planning and knowledge, you can comfortably camp in sub-freezing temps with no issues and no reliance on propane.

Basically what I would recommend. I used to go snow backpacking once or twice a year when I lived in Colorado. Can't stress enough how important good sleeping bag, sleeping pad and proper clothing is. If you over heat you will then freeze. Maintain good core temperature and don't let yourself get too cold.

You're camping in Tennessee and Alabama, not inside the Arctic circle. You'll be okay.

I don't know, In a year that Alabama has already lost to Ole Miss and potentially State...It could get mighty cold in Alabama for a Mississippi boy. Hotty Toddy!! Wait a minute you cant go camping the week of the Egg Bowl!!!!! You some sort communist?

Last edited:
Well shit bro, I appreciate you telling me everything I already know. I should have stated in the title that I needed USEFUL advice. My apologies.

Move along now.

Well aren't you a badass. In that region in November it might be lows of 20's at night time. A tent, sleeping bad, some sort of sleeping pad and a camp fire.

Maybe you should just take your mommy to hold you instead though.

Just camped this past weekend at Rausch Creek. 27 degrees and some snow showers on Friday. It was great. The Jack Daniels helped a lot along with my Gatorade bottle. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415743866.941845.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigger man than I am... there's no way i'd be out there in 27 degree weather!!

It ain't no fun if it ain't dirty! !

Move along now.

Pretty sure it was a friendly ribbing. Nothing to get all worked up about. :thinking::crazyeyes:

Well aren't you a badass. In that region in November it might be lows of 20's at night time. A tent, sleeping bad, some sort of sleeping pad and a camp fire.

Maybe you should just take your mommy to hold you instead though.

Camp fire? Does this mean one would then also need to bring fire wood? Fuck, can you please be more specific. ;):cheesy:

All good advice ! I go cold weather camping for deer and elk hunting all the time and can add a few bits... Tent, and rain fly! got to prepare for the worst and you got to stay dry! Sleeping pad a must and good bag (doesn't need to be a special 'sub freezing' bag, just the normal thick cotton cloth type(I hate the slick nylon type (too cheap and cold)) thats rated for 30 degrees and above is fine but I take two and a heavy old wool army blanket. It's the same as layering on the clothes... layer the top of your sleeping bag with the extra bag and heavy wool blanket...IT WILL keep the heat in your sleeping bag. In extreme cold, a beanie on your head at night does keep your body heat in as your head is sticking out of the bag and you lose a lot of warmth that way.

Heater... I use a propane one just to get the tent warm or as I'm changing clothes but never through the night and always be careful not to knock it over as tents are small and always full of flammable materials.

Personal clothing... as everyone says... layer! A set of 'thermals' top and bottoms make all the difference in the world to help hold body heat in and the wind sucking it out of ya. Pack extra clothes just to have to keep dry. Weather tight boots are good because once they get soaked and you get wet, cold feet, the fun has ended!
That's my two cents.... Good luck and have fun!!!

To go along with the wet boots, bring some newspaper if you expect the weather to get soggy....Stuff some newspaper in your shoes at night if they are wet and when you wake up the newspaper helps to dry them out......

Under Armour cold weather, same thing football players wear during the cold (not the loose ones). It's like wearing a wetsuit but a lot more comfortable. Will not let wind pass through and will keep your body heat in.

I don't know, In a year that Alabama has already lost to Ole Miss and potentially State...It could get mighty cold in Alabama for a Mississippi boy. Hotty Toddy!! Wait a minute you cant go camping the week of the Egg Bowl!!!!! You some sort communist?

Haha, I agree it's bad timing but it's the only time I get off work. I'll be home just in time however. Because I've got two brothers, one an alumni of MS State and one of Ole Miss, I'll be there to instigate a fight whenever I see fit. I can't pass up that opportunity

All good advice ! I go cold weather camping for deer and elk hunting all the time and can add a few bits... Tent, and rain fly! got to prepare for the worst and you got to stay dry! Sleeping pad a must and good bag (doesn't need to be a special 'sub freezing' bag, just the normal thick cotton cloth type(I hate the slick nylon type (too cheap and cold)) thats rated for 30 degrees and above is fine but I take two and a heavy old wool army blanket. It's the same as layering on the clothes... layer the top of your sleeping bag with the extra bag and heavy wool blanket...IT WILL keep the heat in your sleeping bag. In extreme cold, a beanie on your head at night does keep your body heat in as your head is sticking out of the bag and you lose a lot of warmth that way.

Heater... I use a propane one just to get the tent warm or as I'm changing clothes but never through the night and always be careful not to knock it over as tents are small and always full of flammable materials.

Personal clothing... as everyone says... layer! A set of 'thermals' top and bottoms make all the difference in the world to help hold body heat in and the wind sucking it out of ya. Pack extra clothes just to have to keep dry. Weather tight boots are good because once they get soaked and you get wet, cold feet, the fun has ended!
That's my two cents.... Good luck and have fun!!!

I appreciate it the good advice and thanks for the luck. Looking forward to a change of scenery and some good clean fun

Just camped this past weekend at Rausch Creek. 27 degrees and some snow showers on Friday. It was great. The Jack Daniels helped a lot along with my Gatorade bottle. View attachment 110407

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I made the mistake of camping with some friends one night and we only brought Enos and a lite sleeping bag. We didn't realize it was going to get 22 degrees that night. Needless to say, I was up at 3am that morning with a 12ft flame going.

Just trying to prevent that again.

Top Bottom