Replacing ball joints soon

I will be replacing my ball joints soon as they just started squeaking with 125,000 miles on them. I'm going to replace with Synergy ball joints. My question is with regard to tools. I'm wondering about people's experience with Harbor Freight ball joint kit vs getting loaner tools from Auto Zone? Which would make the job easier? Trying to make this as pain free experience as possible. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, I might recommend that you look into getting a set of Crown HD ball joints instead as they are the EXACT SAME ball joint only costs a bit less. Of course, if you have the cash to spend, the Dynatrac ProSteers would be the last ball joints you will ever need to get.

Having said all that, I would recommend that you just get the loaner tool from AutoZone if only because it'll be FREE and more times than not, will come with the adapters that you NEED to make this job a lot easier.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Like Eddie said, and I would borrow a set. There is an angle adapter that might make the job easier.

jknikos

I have 90000 miles and i am on my 3rd set which is extremely worn.... I think the first two sets were mopar and this third set is mooge. I just got it wrong from the begining, i should have bought some real HD ball joints and never replace them again. Cheap is cheap. The only problem now is that dynatrac doesnt have a dealer here in Greece... So probably i will order them from quadratec as i did with my gears and superchips programmer.... :yup:

Note: Does anyone have an opinion about teraflex's new hd ball joints? Any other suggestions?

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm actually not positive that they are original ball joints. I bought the Jeep with 87,000 miles and figured they had never been replaced since there were plenty of other things that were worn that the previous owners didn't bother to fix.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I have 90000 miles and i am on my 3rd set which is extremely worn.... I think the first two sets were mopar and this third set is mooge. I just got it wrong from the begining, i should have bought some real HD ball joints and never replace them again. Cheap is cheap. The only problem now is that dynatrac doesnt have a dealer here in Greece... So probably i will order them from quadratec as i did with my gears and superchips programmer.... :yup:

Note: Does anyone have an opinion about teraflex's new hd ball joints? Any other suggestions?

If they are anything like their other products or their tire carrier....eeehhh :grayno:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

No opinion on the TF joints, but if you want to be done with replacing ball joints, get the Dynatrac ProSteers. They are pricey, but as Eddie already said, they will be the last ball joints you buy.

Going to tackle this ball joint replacement soon. Thinking of possibly changing tie rod ends too because my drag link was bad and ball joints. With 125,000 on her I figure tie rod ends won't be far behind. I only want to have it aligned once, so I'm wondering if I will need an alignment after replacing ball joints? If so I will do tie rod ends now, but if not I might wait.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Same as crown, synergy, and alloy .. All made in china

Going to tackle this ball joint replacement soon. Thinking of possibly changing tie rod ends too because my drag link was bad and ball joints. With 125,000 on her I figure tie rod ends won't be far behind. I only want to have it aligned once, so I'm wondering if I will need an alignment after replacing ball joints? If so I will do tie rod ends now, but if not I might wait.

Your Tie Rod ends are bad or your drag link ends are bad? Or both? Either way, and what ever you decide to do, If you plan on keeping the axle housing that you have, I would do your own alignment with this link http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment and put that money you would have spent on the alignment into Synergy ball joints. They will last a life time!

Your Tie Rod ends are bad or your drag link ends are bad? Or both? Either way, and what ever you decide to do, If you plan on keeping the axle housing that you have, I would do your own alignment with this link http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment and put that money you would have spent on the alignment into Synergy ball joints. They will last a life time!

I recently replaced the drag link because it was bad. Now my ball joints are going out. I did order Synergy and am excited about the install. I do think I am just going to replace tie rod ends too while I have wheels off. Will attempt the alignment myself. Thanks!

Having said all that, I would recommend that you just get the loaner tool from AutoZone if only because it'll be FREE and more times than not, will come with the adapters that you NEED to make this job a lot easier.

I think Eddie did.

I bought a HF one. 70,000 miles on my eOM ball joints. It bent on the first side. Took it back after I finished the job and they give me a new one. I did order the Synergy adapter ring and made another one. I think Eddie gives the perfect answer!

Top Bottom