Replacing ball joints soon

jeeeep

Hooked
HF unit works ok, using some anti-seize on the threads helps keep it turning easier.

Make sure to get the 4WD jeep adapter it already has the proper angle cut and makes installing a lot easier as it aligns the ball joint when you press it in.

sjd78

I bent the HF ball joint tool on the very first ball joint I removed. It spread open to the point I couldn't use it anymore. I returned it and rented one from Autozone and it did the job.

MICP3309

Lots of people have them. What info are you looking for?

More so whats the time frame between rebuilding them. I.e would it be the same time frame for other ball joints to need replacement. And is the rebuilding something that can be done in my garage, or does it have to be sent out. Thanks guys.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
More so whats the time frame between rebuilding them. I.e would it be the same time frame for other ball joints to need replacement. And is the rebuilding something that can be done in my garage, or does it have to be sent out. Thanks guys.

Time frame would probably depend on driving style. I have compared them to stock and synergy and the Dynatrac are by far the most superior. You can rebuild them at home with the dynatrac rebuild kits. Just call dynatrac to order them as nobody else stocks the rebuild kits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I have over 60,000 miles on my ProSteers and have yet to find a need to rebuild them. I ran them on my factory axle first, put about 45,000 miles on them and then installed and have been running them on my PR44. During the swap, I made sure to check them just to see what if any wear there was and they still worked like new. Because of the way they are designed, I don't foresee a need to rebuild them for a long time to come. IF you ever find the need to rebuild them, you can do this at home in your garage.

David1tontj

I have over 60,000 miles on my ProSteers and have yet to find a need to rebuild them. I ran them on my factory axle first, put about 45,000 miles on them and then installed and have been running them on my PR44. During the swap, I made sure to check them just to see what if any wear there was and they still worked like new. Because of the way they are designed, I don't foresee a need to rebuild them for a long time to come. IF you ever find the need to rebuild them, you can do this at home in your garage.

Yeah- but do you even wheel it??

Haha😁

David1tontj

Does the mall count? :idontknow:

It depends how fast you hit the speed bumps!

But in all seriousness, 60,000 miles of hard use is quite impressive! And they're still in good shape... I'm quite curious to see how many miles you get before they need rebuilt.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I ran them on my factory axle first, put about 45,000 miles on them and then installed and have been running them on my PR44. During the swap, I made sure to check them just to see what if any wear there was and they still worked like new.

Aside from how long they last. That is great to know that they can be swapped between housings. I was going to just do Crown when my OEM ones when, but now I think Ill do the Pro steers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It depends how fast you hit the speed bumps!

But in all seriousness, 60,000 miles of hard use is quite impressive! And they're still in good shape... I'm quite curious to see how many miles you get before they need rebuilt.

It is impressive. I just wish my unit bearings would last at least that long.

Kalums

I've used both the Autozone loaners and the HF kit, both worked fine. I will say that Autozone requires a CC on deposit. Granted this was for my old 02 Dakota. But it's very similar. I will also point out that you get what you pay for with the ball joints (learned that first hand).

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Just passed 95k stock ball joints. have ran 35's and wheeled its whole life. Guess I should be in the market for new ones.

jknikos

Just passed 95k stock ball joints. have ran 35's and wheeled its whole life. Guess I should be in the market for new ones.
Check them out first. But i think you will find them blown. :eek: If they have lasted so many miles they have done their job. Time for new ones. :yup:

srosario

I also but my vehicle used with 100k, ball joints were bad. I replaced them with synergy. If you could do it yourself l, do it. I paid $220 for the install.

Just finished the ball joint replacement over the weekend. Went well I have to say. Just took patience, muscle and the right tools. The rentals from Advance Auto pressed the new ones in perfectly.

I did try the alignment on my own, but just don't trust my accuracy with it. Getting a slight flighty feel at times and the steering wheel is slightly off center. I'm going to bring it for alignment Monday.

Thank you all for your input!

jknikos

Just finished the ball joint replacement over the weekend. Went well I have to say. Just took patience, muscle and the right tools. The rentals from Advance Auto pressed the new ones in perfectly.

I did try the alignment on my own, but just don't trust my accuracy with it. Getting a slight flighty feel at times and the steering wheel is slightly off center. I'm going to bring it for alignment Monday.

Thank you all for your input!
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Top Bottom