PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! Opinions needed.

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 03:44 PM
We started our gear swap today and the rear carrier got cocked a bit coming out. Alana (wife) had a bad swing with a mallet and broke the locker coil connector off.:doh:

Now I'm not sure what to do... Is the coil available as a separate part? (everyone is closed to talk to)

Long term plans are to get a 60 in the rear anyway... should I just make the jump?

Does ARB make a replacement locker for the Rubicon 32 spline and length shafts?

JKWrang
03-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Long term plans are to get a 60 in the rear anyway... should I just make the jump?

did you just answer your own question? ;) yes!

wayoflife
03-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Are you saying that you broke the plunger - the thing that makes contact with the dog clutch?

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 04:01 PM
No, I snapped the plastic block for the coil. The connector are okay, not that it matters.

David1tontj
03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
I broke my ARB when I had a dana 35, and I was able to find replacement parts for it on amazon!

Edit- just realized you're talking about a factory locker.

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Well, according to two stealerships the coil is not available as a separate part... :(

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm not really ready to drop D60 coin, but hate to put more money in an axle that I plan to replace in a year... ???

OverlanderJK
03-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Why not put an ARB in it? You can get most of your money back from it when you sell it.

ridg3runner
03-21-2015, 04:53 PM
We started our gear swap today and the rear carrier got cocked a bit coming out. Alana (wife) had a bad swing with a mallet and broke the locker coil connector off.:doh:

Blame it on the wife..WINNING! Lol

Canvas JK
03-21-2015, 05:04 PM
You can get parts for a factory e locker you have to buy the entire unit which is as much if not more than an ARB. Get an ARB and plumb it up and be done.

Canvas JK
03-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Blame it on the wife..WINNING! Lol

That is what you do all the time.

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Why not put an ARB in it? You can get most of your money back from it when you sell it.

Would I have to get new axle shafts too? Currently I have the different length Rubicon shafts. I'm just not sure what options arb has.

OverlanderJK
03-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Would I have to get new axle shafts too? Currently I have the different length Rubicon shafts. I'm just not sure what options arb has.

I believe the shafts for the ARB are equal length so yes. But you could sell the factories to make up the difference.

Hobolobo
03-21-2015, 05:47 PM
I think we're all missing the real question here. Why did you give your wife a mallet to use under the jeep?

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 05:50 PM
I believe the shafts for the ARB are equal length so yes. But you could sell the factories to make up the difference.

WORD ;)

I am going think about this more.

Things I'm pondering are what to do about the factory connector and sensor holes, and then how do I stop the locker lights from blinking. Will the front locker work without knowing the rear is on? I have a bypass circuit so I should be good. Sorry, thinking out loud (or in text)

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 05:51 PM
I would prefer to end up with usable axle over a D44 boat anchor...

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Alana feels so bad she is pushing the D60. But this means I will not get some of the things I wanted to do to her Jeep done.

10frank9
03-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Alana feels so bad she is pushing the D60. But this means I will not get some of the things I wanted to do to her Jeep done.

Well played...... :cheesy:

TheDuff
03-21-2015, 06:11 PM

I fail to see the issue here ;)

hudginsja
03-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Let me get this right...all I have to do is give my wife a hammer and set her loose under the jeep? I should have thought of this sooner!

jnabird333
03-21-2015, 06:54 PM
I think we're all missing the real question here. Why did you give your wife a mallet to use under the jeep?

Let me get this right...all I have to do is give my wife a hammer and set her loose under the jeep? I should have thought of this sooner!

My wife (Alana) is a degreed master mechanic that has taught automotive drive-line classes at several local vocational schools. Trust me this was just an accident.

The housing got cocked a bit coming out and she intended to tap the ring to straighten it up while I was in the catching pose. She lost her footing and missed the mark.

Every bolt that has been turned on both our Jeeps has been done together. I am a very lucky man. :yup::yup: (At least when it comes to her)

nightfirem10
03-21-2015, 07:02 PM

Lol, I was thinking the same!!

hudginsja
03-21-2015, 07:06 PM
My wife (Alana) is a degreed master mechanic that has taught automotive drive-line classes at several local vocational schools. Trust me this was just an accident.

The housing got cocked a bit coming out and she intended to tap the ring to straighten it up while I was in the catching pose. She lost her footing and missed the mark.

Every bolt that has been turned on both our Jeeps has been done together. I am a very lucky man. :yup::yup: (At least when it comes to her)

That is awesome! I have tried to get my wife to help me work on ours, but most of the time she won't...

Hobolobo
03-22-2015, 04:51 AM

Just to clarify, I was just joking around. I think it's great that you and your wife have found something you both love to do together. I envy you. It sucks that this happened, but good luck on the pr60.

OverlanderJK
03-22-2015, 04:55 AM
she intended to tap the ring to straighten it up while I was in the catching pose.

Did you just say your wife is the pitcher and you are the catcher? :thinking: :eek:

MTG
03-22-2015, 05:00 AM
Did you just say your wife is the pitcher and you are the catcher? :thinking: :eek:

Hawt!

nightfirem10
03-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Sorry, I was just poking a little fun, I also have a wife that gets down and dirty in the shop with me!

jnabird333
03-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Just to clarify, I was just joking around. I think it's great that you and your wife have found something you both love to do together. I envy you. It sucks that this happened, but good luck on the pr60.

LOL, i wasn't offended or bothered, just sticking up for my lady. ;)

Hawt! ...

Hahaha, nooooo.....

Sorry, I was just poking a little fun, I also have a wife that gets down and dirty in the shop with me!

It's awesome for the relationship, bad for the wallet. Not just for situations like this, but everyone needs somebody to calm the erections for new parts. We both want them! If anything her a little more.

Lots to work with in those replies Overlander :)

JKWrang
03-22-2015, 12:43 PM
D60 ftw!!!!

jnabird333
03-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm heavily considering replacing the locker with an ARB for now and holding off on the D60.

Its the snowball that is pushing me this way. With a 60 I will need to have my driveshaft remade and if I do it now I will end up with a bolt pattern I don't want long term.

So, for those who have converted a Rubicon to air lockers, what was done to the computer and/or switches?

OverlanderJK
03-22-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm heavily considering replacing the locker with an ARB for now and holding off on the D60.

Its the snowball that is pushing me this way. With a 60 I will need to have my driveshaft remade and if I do it now I will end up with a bolt pattern I don't want long term.

So, for those who have converted a Rubicon to air lockers, what was done to the computer and/or switches?

You can wire them up to the factory switch although I have no clue how to do it. I believe Eddie had his like this or still has his like this but it was done at ore.

Sharkey
03-22-2015, 10:43 PM
It shouldn't be much different than using the factory fog switch for aftermarket lights. :thinking:

jnabird333
03-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Yea, I did some investigation on this tonight. I am 90% on this direction. I'll start another thread on the conversion. But it will be a week or so as I'm headed out of town for work :(

I learned that Synegy used to make a plug #4033 to convert the old coil connection to the air bulk head. I think they stopped but some websites seem to have them still (hoping).