Front Bumper Decision

Fuhaxian

So I was originally going to go with SmittyBilt XRC MOD with the Stinger Bar but I've noticed that SmittyBilt doesn't have the best reviews with it comes to their products so I'm a little skeptical with purchasing and installing it on my Jeep. I was wondering if you guys had a personal favorite bumper that you typically like, bonus points if it has a stinger bar to help me with my decision to either keep looking or to just stick with the XRC setup. Also, for those who currently own the XRC MOD setup could I get a personal review on what you think of it and the pros and cons behind it?

Someone recently posted this on /r/jeep that made me really second guess buying their bumpers
http://i.imgur.com/Nqoqqr8.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

• Nqoqqr8.jpg
    Nqoqqr8.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 373

Clem319

Lots of decisions. I currently have the PS Brawler Lite with stinger. It was easy to bolt on, heavy and appears very strong. I would go with made in America if I were you. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427149289.442172.jpg

thardy

Banned
I'm more than likely going with the Crawler Conceptz Skinny Series bumper.

Edited: The Evo 1/4 Pounder is probably my favorite though.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
A few people have been on here saying that we 'bash' Smittybilt. Here is my opinion/perspective on it. If you are looking for something that just looks cool while your at the mall, they should be fine. You cannot count of a poor quality product to be functional. Smittybilt is Chinese made crap, from a quality perspective. Some of there products look decent, but I personally would not hang China made parts on the most iconic American vehicle made. That's just me though. There are a lot of decent options out there that I would go with before buying Smittybilt. The picture you included in your post is what you can expect from a quality standpoint from pretty much any of their bumper/armor. I would do the PureJeep Barebonz or something like that before I went Smittybilt. If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? That may help to steer you in a better direction.

Last edited:

Fuhaxian

I'm thinking somewhere around $650-$750. Not sure how much that might limit me in the bumper world. Also, another question. Should I invest in getting a lift and new boots before a bumper and winch, or how would you go with this situation?

I'm in all honestly not going to be doing anything hardcore but I love the look of the stinger.

Another option for you:

• 100% made in the USA
  • Powder coat included
  • 1/4" thick steel
  • 1" wide recovery tabs
  • Recessed winch without fogs
  • Raised winch plate with fogs
  • Laser cut Hi-Lift jack points
  • 100% bolt on install

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5007.htm
RH-5007-2T.jpg

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5008.htm
RH-5008-2T.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking somewhere around $650-$750. Not sure how much that might limit me in the bumper world. Also, another question. Should I invest in getting a lift and new boots before a bumper and winch, or how would you go with this situation?

I'm in all honestly not going to be doing anything hardcore but I love the look of the stinger.

I bought me Full Metal fabworks Apex Pinnacle stubby bumper with the 2 bend stinger for just over 600 bucks. It is great quality, the welds were a work of art, recessed winch mount, factory fog lights bolt right up, and its made in the USA. You do have to relocate the vacume pump and trim the mount slightly, but that's it. No cutting the frame or bumper mounts.

IMG_1591.jpg IMG_1625.jpg SAM_2201.jpg

For that price range, you have options from Full Metal Fabworks, Poison Spyder Customs, Crawler Conceptz, LOD, ACE Engineering, etc. All high quality made in the USA companies. Take a look at Northridge 4x4, who happen to be a sponsor here and offer a 10% WAYALIFE discount on a lot of products. Should give you a good idea of what's available in that price range. You have a lot of options.

As far a lift and tires, those aren't cheap. If your budget to spend is what was mentioned above, your probably not going to be able to get a decent tire. What size tire do you plan on going with? Anything up to 35s and a budget boost is what I would recommend if your on a tight budget. Check out JK BC YOLOs build thread if you want to see what is achievable with that setup.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24381-The-Diez-build-thread!/page23

Fuhaxian

I bought me Full Metal fabworks Apex Pinnacle stubby bumper with the 2 bend stinger for just over 600 bucks. It is great quality, the welds were a work of art, recessed winch mount, factory fog lights bolt right up, and its made in the USA. You do have to relocate the vacume pump and trim the mount slightly, but that's it. No cutting the frame or bumper mounts.

View attachment 132851 View attachment 132852 View attachment 132853

For that price range, you have options from Full Metal Fabworks, Poison Spyder Customs, Crawler Conceptz, LOD, ACE Engineering, etc. All high quality made in the USA companies. Take a look at Northridge 4x4, who happen to be a sponsor here and offer a 10% WAYALIFE discount on a lot of products. Should give you a good idea of what's available in that price range. You have a lot of options.

As far a lift and tires, those aren't cheap. If your budget to spend is what was mentioned above, your probably not going to be able to get a decent tire. What size tire do you plan on going with? Anything up to 35s and a budget boost is what I would recommend if your on a tight budget. Check out JK BC YOLOs build thread if you want to see what is achievable with that setup.

Nice build you have there! I actually really like the style of the bumper you chose! Not blunt at all.
As far as getting a lift kit and new tires, I know it's going to more expensive which is why I'm willing to wait until I can reach a better budget. I was thinking of getting either KM2 or All Terrain and a fitting lift for that

Grubbicon

I have the Poison Spyder BFH Comp Stinger on mine I really love it but there are some people will say its too much. They do make a trail stinger which is a bit smaller. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427155494.081294.jpg this is the closest to a head on picture I have of it right now if you want more I can take some in the morning.

JudeinPa

View attachment 132851 View attachment 132852 View attachment 132853

You just made my mind up on a front bumper replacement!

thardy

Banned
Curious here, I'm about 100% sold on 1/4. Why the CC?

My main reason is due to the fact that you can get the CC Skinny with factory fog holes and stinger for right at $300.

I really like the 1/4 but I also really like the idea of having the factory fog light holes to run my Rigid D2s and then be able to run a light bar or additional cubes off the fairlead mount.

Fuhaxian

I really appreciate everyone's input and opinions. I'll keep you guys updated on the bumper I get if I do plan to go ahead and buy it now!

JRied

How do you like it? Anything wrong with it that you can see?

As of now there isn't one problem that I've experienced. Idk if I'm lucky or if there bad name is related to other items. My powder coat is holding up well (lots of rain, salt, salt water, sand, mud, trees etc etc), my d-ring mounts are holding up strong, all the holes lined up to mount it to my frame/holes lined up to mount the winch. I've pulled my self out of places with the winch (deeep mud) and have had myself pulled out by someone connecting to my bumper many times and there hasn't been any issue at all. I've also used the stinger to push down half fallen trees so I can roll over them and there's no sign of that happening. For the price and style it can't be beat as long as the good trends continue. All my welds look good still and I've owned it for a year now. Fingers crossed. All the negative reviews are scary and I didn't know about them before I bought it but after seeing it myself first hand id buy it again for the bargain. If I had money to blow I'd get the Evo 1/4 n stinger or poison spyder just cause of 'Merica

KingCopperhead

I have the poison spyder brawler lite with brawler bar (smaller that the stinger)

I like it, it's sturdy. Winch mounts up easily and there's accommodations for the factory fogs or some aftermarket led fogs. It does come bare steel though and a fair amount of prep work is necessary to get a nice and durable finish on it if you're going to paint it yourself. If I could do it again I'd have had mine professionally painted.

I also like the evo 1/4 pounder a LOT.

Attachments

• 1427166041808.jpg
    1427166041808.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 1427166190034.jpg
    1427166190034.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Top Bottom