Largest tire size for Dana 30

Slappy32

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, so here it is one more time. What is reasonably the largest size tire you should use on a Dana 30 with stock or cut fenders, keeping in mind that the axle will likely be replaced in the future.

Thanks!

ArmyofMike

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, so here it is one more time. What is reasonably the largest size tire you should use on a Dana 30 with stock or cut fenders, keeping in mind that the axle will likely be replaced in the future.

Thanks!

My understanding is 35's are pushing it for a D30. May want to gusset too if you are going off road heavy.

rogerk93

I know a few guys running a 37 on a Dana 30 they just added gusset to the c's since your gonna replace it. You should be fine for a while.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know a few guys running a 37 on a Dana 30 they just added gusset to the c's since your gonna replace it. You should be fine for a while.

And I know a few guys who think they wheel harder and more often than they really do. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks!

It really depends on where you live, how you wheel your jeep, if you're locked up, etc.

hbkid22

I run 35's on a D30 with Gussets....Granted I dont wheel all that hard and or consistent at this point but I would not trust anything bigger if you plan to wheel. If you want to have a jeep with 37s but dont plan to wheel then go ahead.....But if you wheel be prepared for a break at some point.

hbkid22

Should add I have 5.13s and no locker in the front but locked in the rear. I know I am pushing the limits but its what I could do for now.

dwmgcs

Should add I have 5.13s and no locker in the front but locked in the rear. I know I am pushing the limits but its what I could do for now.

I am running 5.13's with 35's and an ARB locker on mine and so far has held up well for the past three years, but I also have the expectation that it could break anytime.

It really depends on where you live, how you wheel your jeep, if you're locked up, etc.

^^^^ THIS!

4.88s and 35" Duratracs and we broke darn near everything on our first time wheeling that combo :shock:

But I too know a guy that ran 40s on a D30 and never had an issue....

CrazyDuck

Well I'll throw my two cents in. May not apply to your application. Running 35's on Dana 30 in my TJ and have beat on it and haven't had any issues.

David1tontj

Well I'll throw my two cents in. May not apply to your application. Running 35's on Dana 30 in my TJ and have beat on it and haven't had any issues.

The d30 was much better suited for the front of a lightweight Tj. The jks seem to be tougher on them- especially in bending the tubes and c's.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've never really understood this. Is it that the wheels are heavier? It's not like the sprung weight of the jeep is changing? Is it something to do with torque & tire revolutions per foot changing? Sorry, I'm a newb & I've read a bunch of threads. All say it'll break, none explain real well why.

Top Bottom