Off/On road lightning

Tranquillity

Hey, I would like to add some lightning to my jeep. With the smittybilt bumper I had to remove the fogs so all I have now is the headlight... And it kinda suck :(
I came across rigid industries wich seems to be a good brand with a kick ass look. I was just wondering if any of you had it and how you like them?

On the other hand any other suggestion? I'd like to use the lights on the road as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
the RI lights are really nice but, before you upgrade them, i would upgrade your headlights to a set of truck-lite LED's. they are worth every penny and make driving around town and on the highway at night so much better.

2012CrushJKU

X2 on the trucklites. That was my first upgrade and every time I drive at night I am glad I did not to mention the look awesome. Also you can talk to northridge4x4 and they have a combo deal with the trucklites, rigid duallys, poison spider mounts, and the wiring harness I do believe.

image-959715013.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yep. Trucklites. I just put them in and can't believe I waited so long (I also have rigid D2). Get the trucklites first. :thumbs:

Holeshot

Banned
I'm also saving for a set of truck-lites and D2's. however, I would prefer to get flush mount brackets and amber lens on the D2's with flood pattern. I sent an email to northridge, still waiting for the answer.

And By the way, another fellow from quebec! the forum is becoming more popular over here! :rock:

What region are you from?

If you want to see some comparison over stock with the truck-lites, take a look at the electrical section of www.jk-forum.com.

Tranquillity

What region are you from? www.jk-forum.com.

I'm from St-Raymond. The trails around that town made me move there, OK not main reason but it surely helped a lot lollll!

Gosh 500$ for a set of truck lite!? Now I get the meaning "worth every penny" lolll.... I'm just wondering now, my bucket list is getting larger (again! :grayno:) So I could spend 500$ and get a set of RI and a Dynomax catback, or those truck lite. :thinking:

Holeshot

Banned
I'm from val-d'or, Abitibi region.

And If i were you, I would go with the truck-lites, they are for sure my next big purchase with a set of RI D2's as fog lights :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm from St-Raymond. The trails around that town made me move there, OK not main reason but it surely helped a lot lollll!

Gosh 500$ for a set of truck lite!? Now I get the meaning "worth every penny" lolll.... I'm just wondering now, my bucket list is getting larger (again! :grayno:) So I could spend 500$ and get a set of RI and a Dynomax catback, or those truck lite. :thinking:

yeah, they ain't cheap that's for sure but, they are something you can use and benefit from every day and they do make a world of difference when driving at night.

Holeshot

Banned
just to rectify, since you're in canada, truck-lites are 343$ ea. at northridge4x4.ca, or you can pick the package with dually's flood and bracket of your choice for 690. If you calculate, 2x 343 = 686$. So you better pick the package and you'll save 300 something bucks.

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/shop/tr...id-dually-floods-and-poison-spyder-mounts-kit

I had the answer from northridge concerning my question about the possibility to get amber lens on the dually's instead of clear, and yes It is possible, so that's the receip i'll go with. :thumb:

The setup I plan to get for next summer is :

Truck-lites new gen for headlights
Dually's flood pattern with amber lens to replace my factory fogs
Rigid SR10 spot light with amber lens mounted of the fearlead
Rigid SR50 on top of the windshield

With that, E.T. will come over and tell me to turn 'em off when he passes by xD :brows:

JAGS

Hooked
Bringing this thread back so please chime in. :yup: Lights likely on the Xmas list this year as first mod. Read here a few saying go trucklites first then do the RIs??? But if you go with one of the combos such as at N4x4, you can get both at a pretty good deal.

So here is my two-fold question:
1) RI lights (D1s) up front a pillar mount without truck lites would be better with which lighting pattern....spot or flood?
2) With Trucklite combo, which pattern would you get for the D1s in this case....spot of flood?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
:idontknow:I have both spots and floods of the D1 from Rigid Industries. I run the floods without a diffuser on my Smittybilt front bumper and they rock! I chose the floods for down low so I could run them as fog lights when I want. They are great, put out a TON of light and at $189 a pair very cost effective. They come with a fused 12v harness and battery terminals and include a nice lit switch.

I have 4 of the D1 spots up high for when I want to see the end of the trail before I get there. Again a TON of light. I also have 2 D1 fogs up high on the back which work great when backing up or when you need a little light to work on something outside etc.

One of the great things about the Rigid D1 lights is they only pull 1 amp each so no relays etc. in most cases. Not to mention you have alot more run time before you start draining your battery.

I'll try to make a vid tonight to show you the difference in light output. I didn't know about the TruckLights at the time I bought these but they are on my list for sure!

Driving with just the fogs on and the Regular jeep headlights I never feel like I can't see good. I could honestly just drive with the Rigid fogs on the bumper and not even need the headlights.

Rear Fogs
IMG_1838.jpg

I wired all 4 front spots together into one switch. The lights all have these nice waterproof plugs.
IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

switches mounted in the A pillar. Just enough room for 3. Could probably have fit another in if i'd have gotten them a little closer. If you notice on the bottom two switches there is a black leader coming off the bottom tab. I put a 200 Ohm resistor inline to reduce the brightness of the LED in the switch. They are blindingly bright out of the box. Just soldered ears on the ends of the resistor and heat shrank it.
IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

View attachment 9008

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

I'll get a shot of the ones on the front bumper in a bit. :rock:

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks Dok. Seems like with every mod there are just too many options and equal number of opinions. From what I've been able to put together floods are pretty good for slower trail runs where you want to see what's in front of you and spots a little better at higher speeds or seeing farther directly in front but maybe not so much on the periphery. :crazyeyes::idontknow::crazyeyes:

Will be interested to see those D1 floods you have up front.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Will be interested to see those D1 floods you have up front.

Ok, here are some pics of the Rigid D1s on the front bumper. One thing to note on these is that they put out so much light that I usually have them both pointed slightly up and outward when on the trail to maximize coverage. I tweak them down and the driver side one a little less into the other lane when not on the trail so I don't blind oncoming drivers. I haven't gotten flashed in a while :D

They are so bright you can't some reflective signs will nearly blind you at night, BUT you will see any animals on the side of the road with plenty of distance to stop!

The lights also come with all the mounting hardware.

All wires go through the grommet on the driver's side that the windshield wiper fluid hose goes through. Remember that if you bring wires from the back, make sure to come down under the driver's side carpet. There's no easy pass through on the passenger side.

I can't imagine how much light I will have once I get the LED headlights!!! :brows:

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 183

JAGS

Hooked
One thing to note on these is that they put out so much light that I usually have them both pointed slightly up and outward when on the trail to maximize coverage. :D

They are so bright you can't some reflective signs will nearly blind you at night, BUT you will see any animals on the side of the road with plenty of distance to stop!

And these on your bumper are the floods right? Or are these the D1 spots on the front bumper?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
And these on your bumper are the floods right? Or are these the D1 spots on the front bumper?

Yes they are the D1 with the flood pattern. They look virtually the same as the spots but if you look close at the reflectors you can tell the difference in the shape of the reflector.

If you would like me to get a closer shot of a spot I can.

Even with the floods down this low they will illuminate the tops of the trees when on. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
Yes they are the D1 with the flood pattern. They look virtually the same as the spots but if you look close at the reflectors you can tell the difference in the shape of the reflector.

If you would like me to get a closer shot of a spot I can.

Even with the floods down this low they will illuminate the tops of the trees when on. :yup:

And what about the light distance in front with just these on and headlights. A good bit in front too? Thinking of putting mine on the a-pillar area and running just as trail lights and keeping my stock fogs and fender for now.

At some point i'll do an aftermarket front fender, but will worry about that then as to what to do with factory fogs.

ssh6314

I know alot of people swear by the trucklites, but have any of you seen the Hellfire HID kit? Made for the JK. My boss has it on his JKU. I looked them up, read on the cutoffs and not blinding drivers, then parked across from him to test it, hes 4" on 35's, im 2 inches on 33"s. Beam didn't come past my hood into my face at all. Was very surprised. My set should be in the mail by now. Hopefully they hold up.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
And what about the light distance in front with just these on and headlights. A good bit in front too?

Yeah you get a ton of light up front they are bright! :eek: The Rigid website says the fogs are 20 degree spread while the spots are 10 degrees.

I know alot of people swear by the trucklites, but have any of you seen the Hellfire HID kit? Made for the JK. My boss has it on his JKU. I looked them up, read on the cutoffs and not blinding drivers, then parked across from him to test it, hes 4" on 35's, im 2 inches on 33"s. Beam didn't come past my hood into my face at all. Was very surprised. My set should be in the mail by now. Hopefully they hold up.

I'll say this much, LED technology will not have the same power pull on your vehicle's electrical system like a HID bulb will, and they should have a much longer lifetime. HID also use a ballast to start the bulb (xenon style lights) and they are expensive to replace parts on including the bulb! I just got done replacing a ballast on my wife's Mazda because it got moisture in it. HID is still basically the same technology as the regular Jeep headlight only brighter. :twocents:

EDIT: Looks like Rigid dropped the price of the D1 to $109.00/pair !! :thumb: http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-2x2-LED-Lights-p/duallyled.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom