Laser pistol with target training...anybody?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Just saw an episode on "Dirt Every Day" and they were using these laser training products. When you aimed and shot your laser gun to show you were accurate it bounces.

I am highly trained in the art of swinging a bat and throwing rocks and entertaining the idea of taking my self-defense capabilities up a notch.

Tried to load some products I am looking at and for some reason can't(mods help me fix pic loading please ...keeping thinking and not opening). Found manufacturer called Laserlyte offering these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...THKBbTZhTlpDe-FfU80rgs0AW54V40RO12RoCsUjw_wcB

"The Laser Plinking Can Set from LaserLyte provides the perfect opportunity for hours of training and entertainment indoors or outdoors without having to purchase ammunition or clean up your cans after shooting. By practicing with these cans you will get on your target faster, while also increasing your accuracy and overall hits. When the cans are hit with any of the LaserLyte Laser Trainers (sold separately), they react by jumping up and falling over just as a real can would when shot. This reaction is powered by a 9V battery and a spring loaded plunger released by a solenoid. To reset the cans, simply stand them up and depress the plunger. The Laser Plinking Can Set is sold in a pack of three and includes three 9V batteries."

Any pics, tips, options, advice would be appreciated.

Happy shooting!

David1tontj

Those seem cool, and would help you learn to be pointed in the right direction, but I think the best practice is still actual range time. Familiarizing yourself with your firearm, getting used to recoil, learning how to quickly clear a jammed weapon, practicing drawing your weapon, and just becoming comfortable with your weapon are more important than aiming a laser at some cans.

One thing that helped me learn to quickly get on target when I was younger was actually playing air soft. Air soft guns are relatively cheap, and offer some of the same learning principles you would get with the laser cans. They still don't have the recoil of a real gun, but many of the nicer ones have magazines similar to real guns, and even slides that blow back with each shot.

IMO, you should be so familiar and comfortable with each of your weapons that you don't have to think about anything when using them.
Aiming, firing, reloading, tactical reloading, clearing jams, finding the safety- should all be second nature that should not require thinking.

If (God forbid) you ever get into a situation where you need to draw and use your weapon, you don't want to be thinking about where the safety is, or anything else but your how you are going to survive said situation. Being familiar and comfortable with your gun is the only way this is going to happen.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the advice and tips David! This seems like a nice start and can set up on my property then move up from there. Yes am not looking to get into a situation and would rather be more prepared than not.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I would honestly recommend not wasting $90 on these items would not give you any real training. There's no replacement for firing your weapon feeling the recoil and shooting fundamentals such astrigger reset finger placement on the trigger squeezing the trigger and hand placement to control recoil.

Your money would be much better invested in $90 of target ammo.

Edit: check out YouTube videos on shooting fundamentals, any videos with Kyle lamb or Chris Costa.

Spudcannons

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with your weapon at a range then doing some tactical training courses run by cops or ex/ current military.

USMCvet

Banned
Practice with the weapon you intend to carry/use most of the time. Get a quality holster and practice with an unloaded weapon, drawing from that holster to a high covet (pointed) position. Do this until it's burned into your brain and it's muscle memory. Then practice snapping in on a target and dry firing (squeezing the trigger on an empty chamber). Do that until it becomes muscle memory. Then and only then, head to a range and start practicing at the 3 yard line, the 7 yard line and the 15 yard line. Everything else is useless since most gun battles occur at 7 yards. Once you are comfortably proficient in your capabilities, then practice with the ammo you intend to carry in the weapon. Those loads will perform differently than target loads. Most important, have fun and remember, it's better to run from a situation if you can than turn to a gun.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I would honestly recommend not wasting $90 on these items would not give you any real training. There's no replacement for firing your weapon feeling the recoil and shooting fundamentals such astrigger reset finger placement on the trigger squeezing the trigger and hand placement to control recoil.

Your money would be much better invested in $90 of target ammo.

Edit: check out YouTube videos on shooting fundamentals, any videos with Kyle lamb or Chris Costa.

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with your weapon at a range then doing some tactical training courses run by cops or ex/ current military.

Practice with the weapon you intend to carry/use most of the time. Get a quality holster and practice with an unloaded weapon, drawing from that holster to a high covet (pointed) position. Do this until it's burned into your brain and it's muscle memory. Then practice snapping in on a target and dry firing (squeezing the trigger on an empty chamber). Do that until it becomes muscle memory. Then and only then, head to a range and start practicing at the 3 yard line, the 7 yard line and the 15 yard line. Everything else is useless since most gun battles occur at 7 yards. Once you are comfortably proficient in your capabilities, then practice with the ammo you intend to carry in the weapon. Those loads will perform differently than target loads. Most important, have fun and remember, it's better to run from a situation if you can than turn to a gun.

Good points guys. One thing I do want is an actual safety lock not like the Glock. There is a retired military gentleman that has a CWP class and training near here. He has weapons we can use and practice with also. My wife and I would also like to get the CWP too.

USMCvet

Banned
Good points guys. One thing I do want is an actual safety lock not like the Glock. There is a retired military gentleman that has a CWP class and training near here. He has weapons we can use and practice with also. My wife and I would also like to get the CWP too.

The HK45C is a great .45 ACP and has an external safety. It's a double action/single action weapon and is capable of firing sub sonics or +P's. It comes with two 8 round magazines and you can get 10 round mags.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The HK45C is a great .45 ACP and has an external safety. It's a double action/single action weapon and is capable of firing sub sonics or +P's. It comes with two 8 round magazines and you can get 10 round mags.

how's recoil on these? I am also shopping for da wifey too!

Thanks Bo!

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Most of the advice here is spot on. Nothing replaces range time. You cannot duplicate felt recoil, work out flinches, or shot recovery at home. You can, however practice without buying lasers. Most competition shooters spend SIGNIFICANT amounts of time dry firing. Focus on fundamentals. Hand placement, upholstering and bolstering your weapon, develop muscle memory, work on sight acquisition. Keeping both eyes open. Moving while firing, reloads, weak hand/side tactics, and target transition. All of this can/should become second nature. You can significantly improve your abilities at he range by practicing at home. In fact if you don't practice at home you will get rusty. Marksmanship is a perishable skill. Always remember to keep your practice conditions safe and use proper/safe firearms handling techniques.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
That's a fine gun. I miss shooting mine!

I love my Glocks and that's what I carry. However, remind me to tell you a story about the lack of a safety when we get together. :yup:

Great pistols. My safety is keeping my finger off of the trigger until it's trigger time. ;) Does the lack of safety involve a YouTube video of a DEA agent shooting himself accidentally? :eek:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Great pistols. My safety is keeping my finger off of the trigger until it's trigger time. ;) Does the lack of safety involve a YouTube video of a DEA agent shooting himself accidentally? :eek:

No. A local leo that I know.

Top Bottom