Laser pistol with target training...anybody?

Jk909

Spend your money on a membership at your local range and practice there once a week. I fire 100 rounds a week and it keeps my skill level decent. Btw the safety thing in a weapon is all bs, keep your finger off the trigger and don't let anybody near your weapon but you. Flocks are one of the best out there.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Glocks are great, but they just don't "feel" right to me and that is enough to keep me away. My Sig feels right. I'm old school (not wheel gun old school) and prefer a metal gun with a grip of different material than the rest of the gun.

Jk909

Glocks are great, but they just don't "feel" right to me and that is enough to keep me away. My Sig feels right. I'm old school (not wheel gun old school) and prefer a metal gun with grip of different material than the rest of the gun.

Sig navy, 1911's and glocks are all great. I had an hk and I felt like it was an overpriced glock so I won't buy another.

USMCvet

Banned
Down the road if you like the .45 and become comfortable with them, try one of the 4" 1911 variants and see what you think. They are single action only and should be carried "condition one", loaded, cocked and safety on. Take a look at one of the Kimber Pro Carry versions or Les Baer.

David1tontj

how's recoil on these? I am also shopping for da wifey too!

The recoil is manageable but I'd recommend you go to a range and rent a .45 ACP and try one first. That way you know what your getting for sure.

I know usmcvet knows this, but I'll throw it out there so catahoula knows.

Not all .45acp guns have the same recoil, just like not all 9mms have the same recoil. I have a couple variations of each, and my smallest 9mm kicks harder than my biggest .45. Most I it is in the weight of the gun- a heavier gun will absorb more of the felt recoil, while a lighter gun of the same caliber will feel like it's trying to jump out of your hand.

Best to rent a few different ones at your local range (most ranges have free rentals as long as you buy their ammo)

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Sig navy, 1911's and glocks are all great. I had an hk and I felt like it was an overpriced glock so I won't buy another.

Haha, I had a Sgt that carried an HK, that's what all the Glock guys would tell him. Of course he was damn good shot.

I would go to any gun shop that will let you shoot all sizes and types of guns. Find the one you shoot the best and buy it.

It might end up being a 45 or a 9. I tried several until I went with a Glock 21.

USMCvet

Banned

Not all .45acp guns have the same recoil, just like not all 9mms have the same recoil. I have a couple variations of each, and my smallest 9mm kicks harder than my biggest .45. Most I it is in the weight of the gun- a heavier gun will absorb more of the felt recoil, while a lighter gun of the same caliber will feel like it's trying to jump out of your hand.

Best to rent a few different ones at your local range (most ranges have free rentals as long as you buy their ammo)

I'll second that for sure. That Kahr 9mm has a nasty recoil yet my Kimber .45 Pro Carry with +P's has less of a bite.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Haha, I had a Sgt that carried an HK, that's what all the Glock guys would tell him. Of course he was damn good shot.

I would go to any gun shop that will let you shoot all sizes and types of guns. Find the one you shoot the best and buy it.

It might end up being a 45 or a 9. I tried several until I went with a Glock 21.

I'll second that for sure. That Kahr 9mm has a nasty recoil yet my Kimber .45 Pro Carry with +P's has less of a bite.

Looking at reviews of the Glock 21 Gen 4 and the Kimber on YouTube. I'll check those others out too.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
The Glock is exceptional and is point and shoot. The Kimber will take practice.

That's subjective. Most will prefer the kimber/1911 trigger. Many don't like the glock grip angle. Best advice is get what you're comfortable with. Learn a proper pistol grip and find out what your natural point of aim is. I used to train with Glocks but now shoot Springfield for my polymer pistols since I prefer the 1911 grip angle.

crowrb29

After shooting a variety of firearms, I will say the kimber 1911 triggers have the one of the best feeling pulls of anything I have used.

SilverBack

In modern striker fire and 1911 variants it is weight, distribution of the weight in the slide and recoil spring rates and tension that determine how the recoil of the round is handled. Anyone can handle the linear recoil, it's the ability to get back on target for follow up shots that is the significant factor. My 3.9" XDM is much easier to handle the 5.25 XDM in the caliber shooting the same ammo. But practice can help a ton as has already be said over and over.

[TraegerQUOTE=catahoula;521675]Looking at reviews of the Glock 21 Gen 4 and the Kimber on YouTube. I'll check those others out too.[/QUOTE]

Tha Glock 21, as will nearly every Glock is a fine weapon. However, it is a large weapon and most women and men that don't have large hands find it cumbersome.

[TraegerQUOTE=USMCvet;521678]The Glock is exceptional and is point and shoot. The Kimber will take practice.[/QUOTE]

The grip angles are different so for one person a Glock may be point and shoot due to the natural point of aim and other it may be the 1911.

That's subjective. Most will prefer the kimber/1911 trigger. Many don't like the glock grip angle. Best advice is get what you're comfortable with. Learn a proper pistol grip and find out what your natural point of aim is. I used to train with Glocks but now shoot Springfield for my polymer pistols since I prefer the 1911 grip angle.

I'm with you! I love a Glock but prefer the 1911 grip angle so my striker fire pistols are XDMs but also love my 3 sizes of Kimbers in 45acp.

After shooting a variety of firearms, I will say the kimber 1911 triggers have the one of the best feeling pulls of anything I have used.

Kimbers are exceptional for the money .

Last edited:

USMCvet

Banned

I personally am a 1911 guy. But most people starting out seem to like the Glock. And the Glock is a fine weapon. The Kimber or any of the 1911 variants take some measure of practice and skill to get used to. That's all I'm saying.

USMCvet

Banned
Now, if you really want something with a bit more bite, try a STI Nitro 10mm 1911 variant. It throws a 200 gr. round at 1250 ft. per sec. (With the right ammo) and the gun is quite accurate. I've fired the Glock 10mm's too and they are exceptional as well. The 10mm is a fast and hard hitting round, but recoil is a bit more "brisk" than a .45 ACP.

Last edited:

CharlieK

Great pistols. My safety is keeping my finger off of the trigger until it's trigger time. ;) Does the lack of safety involve a YouTube video of a DEA agent shooting himself accidentally? :eek:

Prior to working for the DEA, he worked for my agency. I can honestly tell you I am not surprised. Side note he sued the DEA for releasing the video.

Spudcannons

Now, if you really want something with a bit more bite, try a STI Nitro 10mm 1911 variant. It throws a 200 gr. round at 1250 ft. per sec. (With the right ammo) and the gun is quite accurate. I've fired the Glock 10mm's too and they are exceptional as well. The 10mm is a fast and hard hitting round, but recoil is a bit more "brisk" than a .45 ACP.

I love my Kimber 1911. Flawless craftsmanship easy to disassemble and great customer support. The .40 variant is nice as well but I'm partial to the .45 acp.

Top Bottom