Best on board air compressor for 40's

jeeper52

LOSER
Hey guys im looking for a on board or portable air compressor to air up my 40" tires after getting g off the trail. Which one works best and where is the best place to mount it?

utiadam

LOSER
I believe most people here use the arb twin or the warn powerplant winch with the built in air compressor.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
How long does it take to air your 40s up with that setup?

I have yet to use the PowerPlant my rig is at Trail Jeeps right now getting "refurbished"........Eddie has a PowerPlant on Moby.......maybe he can chime in an answer your question better than I can

~Woodrow~

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I do run a PowerPlant on Moby and how long it takes really depends on how low you were to begin with and what psi you're wanting to get up to. Heck, even the size and make of tire seems to make a difference. That being said, I can get my new 40x13.50 Toyo MT's from about 8-10 psi to 30 in about 3 minutes a tire. My old 40x15.50's took a bit longer.

kg6bws

So far I'm liking my ARB Double Pumper. Got it mounted on the Mountain Off Road bracket, although the bracket does make it a bit of a pain checking brake fluid. I haven't gotten around to plumbing a tank for it yet, but pump alone will air my 37x12.50r17's up from 10 to 25 in roughly about 1:40 each.

I understand wanting a compressor and a good one at that. What I'm sort of confused by is why everyone is always so concerned with "how long" it takes. If it's 2min a tire or 2.5min a tire does that really matter?

What are some reasons that we all would need to have the "quickest air" in the west lol.

I run a power plant and it takes me about 2.5 min or more (estimate based on low pressure to high pressure).

07JKSahara

I understand wanting a compressor and a good one at that. What I'm sort of confused by is why everyone is always so concerned with "how long" it takes. If it's 2min a tire or 2.5min a tire does that really matter?

What are some reasons that we all would need to have the "quickest air" in the west lol.

I run a power plant and it takes me about 2.5 min or more (estimate based on low pressure to high pressure).

Thank you! I never understood this either. Not one time have I ever driven off directly after airing up, we usually stand around and chat, wait for the last rig to air up, etc. it's almost like a social part. I'm much more concerned about reliability than speed. Granted all the ones listed above are reliable as well.

kg6bws

To a certain extent, speed is related to efficiency. Think of your tire as an air tank. The longer it takes to fill that tank the less efficient it probably is, and the less reliable it probably is. I don't look at it so much as I need the fastest around, just that usually if it's quick to fill a tire or an air tank, it's probably higher quality.

Top Bottom