Add wheel spacers, or not?

USMC Wrangler

Looking for feedback on a minor concern. I'm running BFG KM2's 255/80R17 (33"x10" un-mounted) and recently added the EVO HD Leveling kit. This will be my setup for a couple years, until the tires wear out. My concern is with the slightly higher center of gravity would I be better off adding 1.5" wheel spacers? So far it seems to drive the same on road, but have not had a chance to hit any trails yet. I'll take safety over looks...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438459714.939669.jpg

Napalm

If anything, I used the spacers for looks. But you follow my build thread, you know what happened there..

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I like the look of one with spacers, even stock wheels. I hate how much the wheels set up under the fender flares.

If you get spacers spend the money and get a higher quality spacer such as the Spydertrax brand that is hub and lug centric.

USMC Wrangler

If anything, I used the spacers for looks. But you follow my build thread, you know what happened there..

Yep, I do remember. No bueno... :grayno:

I like the look of one with spacers, even stock wheels. I hate how much the wheels set up under the fender flares.

If you get spacers spend the money and get a higher quality spacer such as the Spydertrax brand that is hub and lug centric.

I was looking at the Spidertrax, absolutely. I've never considered these with any other vehicle I've owned. I'm not a fan of how tucked in the wheels/tires look either, but then I start to wonder if I'll rub the fenders off-road. I'm pretty sure I don't want to trim the fenders with my current setup, for the looks department. 35's would be completely different, but these tires are new and can't swing the size change with everything that would go along with it. (wheels and dumping the 3.21's)

The main concern was the new stance and safety...in my noob brain.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Yep, I do remember. No bueno... :grayno:

I was looking at the Spidertrax, absolutely. I've never considered these with any other vehicle I've owned. I'm not a fan of how tucked in the wheels/tires look either, but then I start to wonder if I'll rub the fenders off-road. I'm pretty sure I don't want to trim the fenders with my current setup, for the looks department. 35's would be completely different, but these tires are new and can't swing the size change with everything that would go along with it. (wheels and dumping the 3.21's)

The main concern was the new stance and safety...in my noob brain.

As already mentioned you should be fine without them. For me it was more of a look. Now I have 35x12.50s and needed them.

dagdag

I have spacers (adapters) with my stock 32" BFG mud terrain tires. Personally I like a little stick out. It's an aesthetic thing.

Spudcannons

^ This was pretty scary. I would not add an unnecessary part that could fail purely for looks, especially how bad Napalm's failure could have gone. Just my :twocents:

USMC Wrangler

As already mentioned you should be fine without them. For me it was more of a look. Now I have 35x12.50s and needed them.

Cool! :thumb: Some day I will be on 35's too and will require them.

I have spacers (adapters) with my stock 32" BFG mud terrain tires. Personally I like a little stick out. It's an aesthetic thing.

Do you mind posting some pics, straight on from the front and straight on from the back? No hurry, just if you get a chance. Thanks! :yup:

USMC Wrangler

^ This was pretty scary. I would not add an unnecessary part that could fail purely for looks, especially how bad Napalm's failure could have gone. Just my :twocents:

It's definitely my concern. Like I said earlier, I've never used them so I appreciate everyone's feedback. If I remember correctly, Napalm's spacers were not Spidertrax. I honestly don't know if that makes a difference or not. From what he posted they seemed to be installed correctly, but :idontknow: and don't want to speak for him.

Jtmw

I'm running spacers to compensate for the extra bs needed in bolt on CO. No problems SpiderTrax

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Napalm's spacers were not Spidertrax. I honestly don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Not bashing Napalm at all but I have only heard of problems with some of the other brands. Not saying that Spydertrax won't ever have an issue. Just saying that I've never heard or seen any with Spydertrax. Everything can have issues.

The Titanic was unsinkable. Lol.

USMC Wrangler

Nope, I didn't think anyone was bashing him. I wasn't either, just to be clear. Napalm could've bashed the brand, but I never saw him do that. I do recall they were not Spidertrax though. Now I'm just rambling, more than usual...

Napalm

Yall quit bashing me ;) hahahaba

As stated my spacers were not SpiderTrax. I will not openly put out the name of the company that made them, but let's just say you I bought the eBay special :)

My advice to anyone wanting spacers, don't buy cheap. I bought cheap, and I paid for it ten fold. Other than that, I have no issues with them.

Brent McCartney

Yall quit bashing me ;) hahahaba

As stated my spacers were not SpiderTrax. I will not openly put out the name of the company that made them, but let's just say you I bought the eBay special :)

My advice to anyone wanting spacers, don't buy cheap. I bought cheap, and I paid for it ten fold. Other than that, I have no issues with them.

Well said.

RedRum

I run poison spider spacers because I'm running the 15 inch wheels and had to move me out and away, have not had any problems thus far in this jeep or past jeep )

Good luck

Kumar

I originally threw spidertrax on for looks because I didn't like how the tires were tucked in the fenders. With the wider stance I felt a tad bit more stable while cornering. Now I need them since I'm running 35x12.50 on stock wheels. But no problems/complaints after 10k miles.

TheStick

This is the last thing I'd try and save money on. The difference in price is small, go with the good stuff.

joshuaj21

I picked up a set of Titan wheel spacers from amazon. Specs were identical to the spydertrax which is the only reason I bought them instead of the known and trusted brand name. Put them on in March, have over 10k miles on them and no issues. Torqued properly and re-torqued after about 500 miles and no change. Used red loctite, only a couple drops per lug. Saved about $50 getting them and don't regret it. I run 315/70R17 which is the only reason I picked them up though.

Top Bottom