Hardtop Conversion

Jmjnewbold

So, I'm moving to a much colder climate soon. Good bye Florida, it's been a blast!!:thumb: Now that I am moving to Colorado I am looking for a hardtop. I found one local to me that comes from a 2010, mine is a 2015. I noticed that the wiring kits from mopar are different for the 2010 vs. the 2015. It seems to be the different HVAC controls. If I get the hard top will it fit and function properly on my 2015? I would hate to have fit issues with the freedom panels or issues with the wiring.:mad:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The top will fit fine going from an older to newer Jeep. You can even go the other way around but there are guide pins on 2012-up tops that you would need to remove. But, I digress. I didn't know about the wiring harness difference but, would image that it's something you could adapt.

Arizona

I purchased a used 2014 hard top to go on my 2009, it fit just fine. Also, like Eddie said there are pins I had to cut off but that added to the fun ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should also note that just because you're moving to CO doesn't mean you need a hard top. While it can be nice to have, it's far from necessary.

Jmjnewbold

I should also note that just because you're moving to CO doesn't mean you need a hard top. While it can be nice to have, it's far from necessary.

I'm moving to the Colorado Springs area and understand that hail occurs. I was thinking the hardtop was a safer bet. It would totally suck to have hail tear through my soft-top while I was driving with my little ones in the Jeep.:grayno:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I'm moving to the Colorado Springs area and understand that hail occurs. I was thinking the hardtop was a safer bet. It would totally suck to have hail tear through my soft-top while I was driving with my little ones in the Jeep.:grayno:

Not sure this is the case always, but my soft top held up to larger than golf ball sized hail in a crazy storm we had last year. I feel a hard top would have cracked or just punched right though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure this is the case always, but my soft top held up to larger than golf ball sized hail in a crazy storm we had last year. I feel a hard top would have cracked or just punched right though.

Agreed. A soft top will weather hail better than the hood of your Jeep.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'm sure the harness you could adapt. IMO, I like the look of the '12+ hard tops better because of the rear window size. Just my opinion.

Dopey84

Having lived in Colorado for most my life.. Yes there is hail occasionally but not enough to constitute purchasing the hard top.. And like stated above will have a lil more durability than your hood when it comes to worrying about the kiddos no worries..

Jmjnewbold

Having lived in Colorado for most my life.. Yes there is hail occasionally but not enough to constitute purchasing the hard top.. And like stated above will have a lil more durability than your hood when it comes to worrying about the kiddos no worries..

:thumb: Thank you for the information. I am really looking forward to the move! I miss snow, the Avalanche, the Broncos, and the great offroading!

seanb123

Personally having a 2dr 08 hardtop I wouldn't pay more than 800-1000 for it. I love mine but that's about all it's worth to me.

Dopey84

Looks good and price is fair but I'd also look into new weather seals for that just in case... Never bad to have extra..

Arizona

Personally having a 2dr 08 hardtop I wouldn't pay more than 800-1000 for it. I love mine but that's about all it's worth to me.

I bought my 2 dr hardtop used for $400 from a family that traded in their jeep and forgot the top was in the garage. Granted I had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get there... When I was in the market I wasn't looking at anything over $1000

Jmjnewbold

I bought my 2 dr hardtop used for $400 from a family that traded in their jeep and forgot the top was in the garage. Granted I had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get there... When I was in the market I wasn't looking at anything over $1000

$400 is pretty darn good! I don't think I will be able to find one that cheap. :thinking:

Zstairlessone

Its one of the first thing I notice when I spot a jeep. And its the only way to determine the year of a jk from the outside.
Hah! Mine will fool even the most astute observer :) dealership trashed my original and they only make the new ones so that's what I have on my 08. I actually like the look of the original better, but the view is much improved with the new ones.

Edit: why are you (OP) moving from Navarre to Colorado??

Last edited:
Top Bottom