Quadratec winch

Jmjnewbold

I've been looking for a winch, and while warn does seem to be the "it" brand for obvious reasons, I don't know that I can justify sending that kind of money for something I might use once a year. I've looked around and saw the Q9500is made by quadratec. I understand it's made in China, but is that the only thing going against it? I value the opinion of this forum so all your input is welcome.

Jackal01

I have the Q9000s. Hasn't failed me yet. I have done a few pulls. A Warn is still on my short list of mods, though.

WJCO

Meme King
I've been looking for a winch, and while warn does seem to be the "it" brand for obvious reasons, I don't know that I can justify sending that kind of money for something I might use once a year. I've looked around and saw the Q9500is made by quadratec. I understand it's made in China, but is that the only thing going against it? I value the opinion of this forum so all your input is welcome.

Your post pretty much answers all your own questions. I know nothing of the Quadratec winches but I do know a little about Chinese made $h!t. Even once a year, wouldn't you rather have something that without a doubt will get you back on the road, regardless of the cost? Kind of like buying a cheap gun, when you really need it, does the cost come into the equation? I was at the same point you were when I bought my winch and for the exact same reason of low use, I really didn't want to spend the money. But the more I thought about it, I realized it 100% had to work when I needed it, and that justified the cost. I couldn't find any negative reviews on Warn winches when I researched it, whereas other marginal brands had some. Even a few bad reviews, and I decided those other winches weren't for me. Now if we were talking LED lights, or something like that, cost may play a role in the equation. Just my 2 cents.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A few guys on the forum run a qtech winch, myself included, and have no issues with them. That being said they are Chinese made as you said so it can be a hit or miss as to if its a bad one of not. In the end the safer way to go would be to get the M series warn winches as they are made in the USA and are lighter on the wallet. Do not get the VR series warns as they are Chinese made just like the qtech

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have the Q9000s and have had no issues for 3 years I have been running it other than a little corrosion in the controller connector. I have been happy with it for the little use it gets. I do want to eventually upgrade to a warn however but the quad has been more than enough for me.

Jmjnewbold

A few guys on the forum run a qtech winch, myself included, and have no issues with them. That being said they are Chinese made as you said so it can be a hit or miss as to if its a bad one of not. In the end the safer way to go would be to get the M series warn winches as they are made in the USA and are lighter on the wallet. Do not get the VR series warns as they are Chinese made just like the qtech

So, this discussion has prompted me to look at craigslist and the for sale page here to see if someone has a used Warn winch. I have found a couple Warn 8274 winches and a 9.5ti. If I can verify that the winch operates, is it worth picking up any of those winches? The 8274 is going for $500 and the 9.5ti for $750 with synthetic line.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The 8274 is an old gear driven winch Warn made decades ago. Design allows for over 100' of 3/8 line to be installed. Very tall because of the odd shape. No idea about reliability, but a lot of people outside the JK world swear by the 8274. The 9.5ti seems kind of high for a used winch when a new Zeon 10s with synthetic line is just around $400 more and a much newer, faster, and better design.

WJCO

Meme King
So, this discussion has prompted me to look at craigslist and the for sale page here to see if someone has a used Warn winch. I have found a couple Warn 8274 winches and a 9.5ti. If I can verify that the winch operates, is it worth picking up any of those winches? The 8274 is going for $500 and the 9.5ti for $750 with synthetic line.

Both are decent deals. Just take a fully-charged jump box with you or battery cables and make sure they work.

EDIT: When I purchased mine, I looked at used Warns as well. Around here, they seemed to be almost as much as new ones.

Angry Aussie

I have a quadratec winch and it's been nothing but a headache for me. So much to the point I wouldn't even use it or trust it on the trail. The second time I ever used it with in the first two minutes of use it started smoking like crazy. And each time I have used it after that it's smoked even under very light loads. I think I just got unlucky and got a bad one but I wouldn't buy or use anything but a warn! Just my two cents

Jmjnewbold

I have a quadratec winch and it's been nothing but a headache for me. So much to the point I wouldn't even use it or trust it on the trail. The second time I ever used it with in the first two minutes of use it started smoking like crazy. And each time I have used it after that it's smoked even under very light loads. I think I just got unlucky and got a bad one but I wouldn't buy or use anything but a warn! Just my two cents

Thanks for the input! I'm looking into warns now

So i asked this on another thread but, no one seemed to know...the m series warns looked to be priced about the same as an equal pull zeon. So whats the difference besides looks? Or is the zeon just the newer one?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So i asked this on another thread but, no one seemed to know...the m series warns looked to be priced about the same as an equal pull zeon. So whats the difference besides looks? Or is the zeon just the newer one?

In sure if you compare the zeon the m series you will see a difference in line speed pules and such. Also the zeon has an integrated solenoid. Last but not least it seems like a log of recessed winch mounts don't accept the zeon

WJCO

Meme King

I believed they re-disigned the drum and the clutch. Also the spec sheet comparison below from their website looks like Zeon line speed is slightly faster while drawing less amps. As Cozdude said, the solenoid is integrated, but they do sell a relocation kit as well for about 80 bucks and you can have an even lower profile look/fit.

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_8-s.shtml

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/M8000-s.shtml

zeon-relocate-control-pack.jpg

Jmjnewbold

I might be off on this, BUT I priced the M series at $550 for the M8000 and the Zeon 8 at $879. It might just be me, but how are those priced about the same? :thinking: If I have around $900 for a winch I would definitely go with a warn winch, but I don't have that kinda cash saved right now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Zeon's are just the new premier line winches that Warn makes. They do have a faster line speed as well as other cool features that help make it easier to use and ensure that it will always work when you need it. One of the things I like is the new clutch and how easy it is to pull rope. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to run an M8000 on my Jeep and I would most certainly run it over any cheap Chinese winch. Of course, I never use my winch for anything so you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

Jmjnewbold

So, while I am trolling craigslist looking for a reasonably priced winch I came across one that seemed like a pretty good deal. It's a Warn Series 18 18k lb DC winch. The add says it's 24 volts and come with winch line for $750. All I would need is a fairlead and I would be set. The only issues I see are 1: It's 24 volts, so would I need to have 2 batteries for this to work? 2: I don't know if the winch would fit in your average bumper (not an in the bumper winch mount, but an on the top type). Should I look into it more or is this the type of winch you would put on a flat bed trailer?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, while I am trolling craigslist looking for a reasonably priced winch I came across one that seemed like a pretty good deal. It's a Warn Series 18 18k lb DC winch. The add says it's 24 volts and come with winch line for $750. All I would need is a fairlead and I would be set. The only issues I see are 1: It's 24 volts, so would I need to have 2 batteries for this to work? 2: I don't know if the winch would fit in your average bumper (not an in the bumper winch mount, but an on the top type). Should I look into it more or is this the type of winch you would put on a flat bed trailer?

Ummm, yeah, I don't think that will fit your Jeep and really, 18k is way over kill. Rule of thumb is that you want a winch that has a capacity that is approximately double the weight of your vehicles. In other words, 8,000 lbs. is all you really need. That being said, if you could make it fit, yes, you would need 2 batteries to make it work.

Top Bottom