Quadratec winch

Jmjnewbold

The Zeon's are just the new premier line winches that Warn makes. They do have a faster line speed as well as other cool features that help make it easier to use and ensure that it will always work when you need it. One of the things I like is the new clutch and how easy it is to pull rope. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to run an M8000 on my Jeep and I would most certainly run it over any cheap Chinese winch. Of course, I never use my winch for anything so you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

Thanks for your point of view. I think I have been persuaded away from the Quadratec or even the VR series. Now I just need to find one. Do you think an M8000 is enough to pull my jeep? Granted, right now it's just a stock JK, but with a lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, rocker guards, roll cage, and gear that I am slowly purchasing it will be a bit heavier. I just want to make sure I get one rated enough for the future.

Jmjnewbold

Ummm, yeah, I don't think that will fit your Jeep and really, 18k is way over kill. Rule of thumb is that you want a winch that has a capacity that is approximately double the weight of your vehicles. In other words, 8,000 lbs. is all you really need. That being said, if you could make it fit, yes, you would need 2 batteries to make it work.

Thanks again!! I think I will pass on that one then. I don't see my jeep ever getting to 9,000lbs so no need for that much over kill. So, guys that have a 9k or 10k winch did so just for the added insurance that the winch will be able to pull their jeep?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your point of view. I think I have been persuaded away from the Quadratec or even the VR series. Now I just need to find one. Do you think an M8000 is enough to pull my jeep? Granted, right now it's just a stock JK, but with a lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, rocker guards, roll cage, and gear that I am slowly purchasing it will be a bit heavier. I just want to make sure I get one rated enough for the future.

Yes, an M8000 will work just fine and if you really plan on using it a lot, I would highly recommend carrying a snatch block with your recovery kit as it will DOUBLE your pulling capacity.

Thanks again!! I think I will pass on that one then. I don't see my jeep ever getting to 9,000lbs so no need for that much over kill. So, guys that have a 9k or 10k winch did so just for the added insurance that the winch will be able to pull their jeep?

I run WARN 9500 PowerPlants on both my JK's and only because that's the smallest size they came in. I don't know why guys feel the need to run a 10k or more but, if you can make it fit and you're willing to pay for it, I suppose why not.

I might be off on this, BUT I priced the M series at $550 for the M8000 and the Zeon 8 at $879. It might just be me, but how are those priced about the same? :thinking: If I have around $900 for a winch I would definitely go with a warn winch, but I don't have that kinda cash saved right now.

I stand corrected. Didnt add up to me either, which is why i was confused. I think i must have been comparing a synthetic line m8000 to steal line zeon.

Jmjnewbold

I stand corrected. Didnt add up to me either, which is why i was confused. I think i must have been comparing a synthetic line m8000 to steal line zeon.

That makes a little more sense. I think the M8000 with synthetic line is almost a grand.

CastleRockJeep

You can find M8000's for under $600. Of all of the things you could save money on I don't think a winch is a good spot. I have an M8000-s, I've used it a couple times and it's been great. I do carry a snatch block just in case 8k lbs isn't enough...

Jmjnewbold

LOL!! Don't know where you're doing all this reading but perhaps the answer to your question can be found there.

I don't remember where I read it, and I think it was a site comparing the pros and cons of synthetic winch line. The reason I ask about life and usability of the cable or line is so I know what to look out for if I purchase a used winch. I understand fraying of the steel cable or synthetic line is bad, rust is bad, but what else should I be on the look out for?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't remember where I read it, and I think it was a site comparing the pros and cons of synthetic winch line. The reason I ask about life and usability of the cable or line is so I know what to look out for if I purchase a used winch. I understand fraying of the steel cable or synthetic line is bad, rust is bad, but what else should I be on the look out for?

Kinks in steel line I would look out for.

Lots of pro's and cons of both but IMO synthetic wins the battle.

seanb123

What about synthetic line? Just frays in the line?

Uv light can damage the line that's why you see a lot of line covers. Other con of synthetic you can't just throw it on the drum you gotta run it back and forth. I have steel so I'm not sure how much of a con that is

Jmjnewbold

Uv light can damage the line that's why you see a lot of line covers. Other con of synthetic you can't just throw it on the drum you gotta run it back and forth. I have steel so I'm not sure how much of a con that is

How can you tell if there is UV light damage to the line? Also, not sure what you mean by having to run it back and forth. :thinking:

robx251

Caught the Bug
I have an original Q9000 on my 2 door and use it lightly. I have pulled out my own jeep a few times, and no issues. I have used it on other heavier loads like a 3/4 gmc, k5 blazer on the frame, tundra on the frame and a bronco 2. Only issue I have had so far was the remote control connectors were dirty and corroded so it wouldn't work well but I have since hard wired switches inside and Cleaned the connections. All of good so far had this over 4 years first on my yj then jk. I do check it periodically for function too. Just to make sure that it works when needed.

robx251

Caught the Bug
You can find M8000's for under $600. Of all of the things you could save money on I don't think a winch is a good spot. I have an M8000-s, I've used it a couple times and it's been great. I do carry a snatch block just in case 8k lbs isn't enough...

What he said! Always good to keep a snatch block around for those just in case moments.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Uv it will be faded pretty easy to see but if you go to 3:00 you will see what I mean by back and forth it's a crisscrossing method

http://youtu.be/2poLIfA1OI8

You actually do the same process with steel cable except that steel cable it needs to be spooled evenly next to each line (line the first two spools in this video) thru the whole drum. Yes you can leave it looking like a "mess" like you can with synthetic but that's how the steel gets kinked.

Jmjnewbold

You actually do the same process with steel cable except that steel cable it needs to be spooled evenly next to each line (line the first two spools in this video) thru the whole drum. Yes you can leave it looking like a "mess" like you can with synthetic but that's how the steel gets kinked.

I thought you had to do it with steel as well, but never having owned a winch I wasn't certain. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the M8000 unless I can get a used 9.5ti for around $600 that I saw on Craigslist. Now I just need a bumper to mount it to!

Jmjnewbold

So, I talked to Trail Jeeps today they they recommended the vr10000 over the m8000. Is that just a matter of opinion or is the VR better? Isn't it made in China and less reliable?

Top Bottom