Jk freedom top issues.

ldjernes

Ok I bought a new/used hard top for my jk off of a guy that had bought it brand new for his 2010 I think and he never put it on my jeep is and 07. The back half of the top fits perfectly, the freedom tops fit good except for that with the hand screws light the tops aren't sucked down all the way in the back or sides. I can't really get the flip levers closed I have them loosened so I can kind of close them but they are really tight. Could this be that since the top has never been installed that the weather stripping is so tight that it's not allowing me to get the tops down all the way?
Was curious if any of you guys have ever had this problem if you had to buy a new top.

Speeddmn

Ok I bought a new/used hard top for my jk off of a guy that had bought it brand new for his 2010 I think and he never put it on my jeep is and 07. The back half of the top fits perfectly, the freedom tops fit good except for that with the hand screws light the tops aren't sucked down all the way in the back or sides. I can't really get the flip levers closed I have them loosened so I can kind of close them but they are really tight. Could this be that since the top has never been installed that the weather stripping is so tight that it's not allowing me to get the tops down all the way?
Was curious if any of you guys have ever had this problem if you had to buy a new top.

To be clear, he bought a brand new top from a dealer for his 2010? You then bought it from him and your jeep is a 2007?

I believe in 2011/2012 the top changed slightly but the minor changes should not effect the ability to install it, no matter the years. Couple of questions: Are the front panels installed in order? If I remember right to install them it is passenger then driver side. Are the dowel/pegs from the top going into the holes in the rollbar? The "hand screws" you mention, are you referring to the ones inside the passenger area that go up into the top, not tightening?

If you can get pictures it will help a ton.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
My top came factory, and the levers that latch the panels down are super tight all the time but they will go. I agree with posting up pics with the issue you are having.

ldjernes

To be clear, he bought a brand new top from a dealer for his 2010? You then bought it from him and your jeep is a 2007?

I believe in 2011/2012 the top changed slightly but the minor changes should not effect the ability to install it, no matter the years. Couple of questions: Are the front panels installed in order? If I remember right to install them it is passenger then driver side. Are the dowel/pegs from the top going into the holes in the rollbar? The "hand screws" you mention, are you referring to the ones inside the passenger area that go up into the top, not tightening?

If you can get pictures it will help a ton.

Yea he bought it brand new and never put it on. My old one got ruined when I rolled my jeep in a car accident. Yes the panels are installed in order yes the pegs go into the roll bar. The panels are lined up right they just don't suck tight. The hand screws that go threw the sound bar screw in good and I have them hand tight. I'll take some photos tonight so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I have a 2010, but it was a soft top. I can tell you that there 3 specific softies: pre-2010, 2010, then everything after. Maybe that front panel is year specific somehow? Check out part numbers.

ldjernes

I have a 2010, but it was a soft top. I can tell you that there 3 specific softies: pre-2010, 2010, then everything after. Maybe that front panel is year specific somehow? Check out part numbers.

We've checked the part numbers it lines up good just doesn't seat all the way down

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
We will be pulling my hard top this weekend and can take some better pics of the upper sections and all if that helps out, even though its a 15

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
We will be pulling my hard top this weekend and can take some better pics of the upper sections and all if that helps out, even though its a 15

The 07-16 hard tops are all functionally the same. I believe the 07-10 has a little smaller windows but other then that and the alignment pin right next to the door frame on the 11-16s, they're the same.

jeeeep

Hooked
don't put the hand screws in until you get the entire top on. you actually don't even need those hand screws but if you want them on, put them but not even hand tight, just until you feel tension then back it off just barely or it'll cause the front edges to lift and leak

JAGS

Hooked

Did you previously have a soft top installed? If so, did you remove all the framing for it. Maybe there is a seal, plastic piece or something else held over from the soft top preventing it from sitting right.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
don't put the hand screws in until you get the entire top on. you actually don't even need those hand screws but if you want them on, put them but not even hand tight, just until you feel tension then back it off just barely or it'll cause the front edges to lift and leak

Yep what jeeeep said, I leave mine out unless I just have the fronts only on.

ldjernes

Did you previously have a soft top installed? If so, did you remove all the framing for it. Maybe there is a seal, plastic piece or something else held over from the soft top preventing it from sitting right.

No I had a hard top and it got ruined in an accident.

ldjernes

The front seats down all the way. It's the back that doesn't and the middle. I'll post some pics later tonight I'm busy sanding the door hinges for it right now.

ldjernes

It is not. The body has been fixed, now it won't be 100 percent back to factory but it's straight, the hard top fits good it's just the freedom tops don't seat all the way down.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Yea a lady ran a red and t-boned me. Once I get the thing done I'm gonna start a rebuild thread and post pics from before and after. View attachment 176007

Yeah, that SUV in your windshield might be the issue. So you went soft top after the repairs? Any wind noise, flapping, etc? I bet the repair is good, but not factory perfect so you might never get a perfect fit.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I'm confused. Your jeep got wrecked. You had a shop repair it. They didn't repair it with a top on it? You didn't get a new top from insurance?

Top Bottom