Phase II recommendations: BB, gears, tires

GraniteCrystal

Next phase of the Jeep is going to be a 2.5" budget boost, 35" tires, cut fender flares, and new gears. Would love some recommendations:

2.5" BB: Teraflex seems to be a popular option for this but doesn't seem too many people like their other stuff

Tires: either bump up the KO2s I'm running right now that I like or get some Nitto Exo Grapplers. Exo and not Trail since I live in Colorado and drive in snow/ice

Gears: thinking 4.88 gears (running 3.73 right now) and luckily I live near Trail Jeeps so getting a quote from them

Fender flares: getting those tomorrow from a fellow wayalifer and then will cut them to fit the 35s

Is there anything else I'll need to do to make this work? Any recommendations on any of those parts?

Jeep is a 2014 JKUR

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Looks good to me! I love my 4.88s with my 35s. For the BB I'd get the kit with the shock extensions vice the new shocks.

Edit: just an fyi you don't have to cut your fenders with this set up. 2.5" bump stops are enough to prevent rubbing while flexing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Being that you have a 3.6 the 4.88's with 35's will be perfect and still work with 37's if you go that route later!

As for the BB yes that is probably the only thing I would recommend from teraflex. Just make sure you get it with either shock extensions or new shocks outside of what teraflex offers

kyle521

Another option for tires you should give a look at are the goodyear wrangler duratracs, I'm on my second set, this time I got 35s, they do amazing in the snow.

WJCO

Meme King
Next phase of the Jeep is going to be a 2.5" budget boost, 35" tires, cut fender flares, and new gears. Would love some recommendations:

2.5" BB: Teraflex seems to be a popular option for this but doesn't seem too many people like their other stuff

Tires: either bump up the KO2s I'm running right now that I like or get some Nitto Exo Grapplers. Exo and not Trail since I live in Colorado and drive in snow/ice

Gears: thinking 4.88 gears (running 3.73 right now) and luckily I live near Trail Jeeps so getting a quote from them

Fender flares: getting those tomorrow from a fellow wayalifer and then will cut them to fit the 35s

Is there anything else I'll need to do to make this work? Any recommendations on any of those parts?

Jeep is a 2014 JKUR

Just find out for sure if you'll need a new front drive shaft or not. I'm not sure if you will with the 2.5 lift.

JAGS

Hooked
Just find out for sure if you'll need a new front drive shaft or not. I'm not sure if you will with the 2.5 lift.

Since the BB is just a "puck" lift and not a spring lift, no front DS will be necessary. At least that is my understanding when I was considering this option.

To the op, if you are on a budget and not pressed for time, you can often find BBs used for sale as folks step up to other lifts.

GraniteCrystal

Looks good to me! I love my 4.88s with my 35s. For the BB I'd get the kit with the shock extensions vice the new shocks.

Edit: just an fyi you don't have to cut your fenders with this set up. 2.5" bump stops are enough to prevent rubbing while flexing.

Interesting... I really thought you had to trim the fenders. Bump stops come as part of kit? Same flex with bump stops and no cut fenders as no bump stops and cut fenders?

Being that you have a 3.6 the 4.88's with 35's will be perfect and still work with 37's if you go that route later!

As for the BB yes that is probably the only thing I would recommend from teraflex. Just make sure you get it with either shock extensions or new shocks outside of what teraflex offers

Good to know! So you're saying get kit from Teraflex but shock extensions from some other company?

Since the BB is just a "puck" lift and not a spring lift, no front DS will be necessary. At least that is my understanding when I was considering this option.

To the op, if you are on a budget and not pressed for time, you can often find BBs used for sale as folks step up to other lifts.

Any concerns with used BB? Might have settled in on another rig and could ride rough on mine?

Thanks for clarifying drive shaft question. I was wondering about that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Interesting... I really thought you had to trim the fenders. Bump stops come as part of kit? Same flex with bump stops and no cut fenders as no bump stops and cut fenders?

Good to know! So you're saying get kit from Teraflex but shock extensions from some other company?

Any concerns with used BB? Might have settled in on another rig and could ride rough on mine?

You will most likely have to trim them depending upon how much armor you have or don't have on your jeep.

Lol sorry I should have clarified. The extensions are fine that come in the kit. What I was talking about was the shocks. DO NOT get the teraflex shocks as they are stiff as hell.

Nope a used one should be fine as well since they are pucks and don't effect ride quality since you use factory springs and shocks if you get the extensions

JAGS

Hooked

The complete TF BB kits will come with everything you need. So make sure you take note of what options. There is a kit with "shock extensions" and one that assumes you will buy new, longer shocks.

As for buying used, the BB is basically a hard rubber insert you install above your current springs. So long as they are not damaged (visual inspection), buying them used is no difference than new.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Get the Teraflex kit with shock extensions or get the Teraflex kit with no extensions and no shocks and use a different aftermarket company for shocks. Like Rancho or Bilsteins.

Don't use Teraflex shocks.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Shock extensions are shock extensions. He's saying if you choose to get new longer shocks instead, don't get the Teraflex shocks. Get Rancho or something like that.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Nope no need to trim the fenders if you don't want to. I've been running the set up you are going too for a year now.

With the shock extensions you'll get the same amount of travel as you do now. As for the bump stops, I'm fairly certain that the TF kit is a complete kit and will come with them.

You'll be fine with their shock extensions, what Cozdude was telling you to stay away from was their shocks. And no, you won't need a new drive shaft.

WJCO

Meme King

No driveshaft will be needed at that height

Good to know. On the JKs, at what height does a front driveshaft become recommended or required?

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Good to know. On the JKs, at what height does a front driveshaft become recommended or required?

Recommended at 3" net spring lift. Also has to do with shock length and bump. But generally 3"+ you want to do a front DS sooner than later.

GraniteCrystal

Summary so far

Thanks a bunch guys!

Ok, so boiled down, here is what I'm hearing:

Do the Teraflex BB kit. Either a) use their shock extensions or b) get it without shock extensions and replace my stock Rubi shocks with some Ranchos or similar. Do NOT use Teraflex shocks.

No new driveshaft will be needed at 2.5"

Used budget boost with good visual inspection just as good as new budget boost and often times much cheaper

4.88 Gears will be perfect with the 3.6L engine and 35" tires

No comments on the KO2 or Exo Grappler, so I'll assume we're all good there. Goodyear Duratracs also mentioned as an option.

WJCO

Meme King
Recommended at 3" net spring lift. Also has to do with shock length and bump. But generally 3"+ you want to do a front DS sooner than later.

Ok cool. Thanks. That's basically the same as the WJs.

JAGS

Hooked
Yup, sounds about right. Couple things not noted that you may want to consider if you plan to hit some trails with the BB is some minimal armor. With the larger tires, some C gussets wouldn't be a bad idea. Nor would an oil pan skid/armor cover. The shop doing your gears should ba able to do the Cs as well.

austin160

As far as tires I just installed a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3, really like them so far, about 1500 miles on them. Not too loud and good in the dirt. I live in Alabama so don't worry about snow too much.

GraniteCrystal

Yup, sounds about right. Couple things not noted that you may want to consider if you plan to hit some trails with the BB is some minimal armor. With the larger tires, some C gussets wouldn't be a bad idea. Nor would an oil pan skid/armor cover. The shop doing your gears should ba able to do the Cs as well.

Good to know. I'll start with the mods mentioned above and put C gussets next on the list for Phase III. How much are those going to run me?

Top Bottom