Phase II recommendations: BB, gears, tires

atrollip

Is regearing required to go to 33" tires or is it just a preference. Also any one know what gearing is required for the diesels at different sizes, I know it's a newbie question but their is little info on the diesel wranglers on Internet with regard to gearing spec.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I think someone else mentioned it as well, but you should burn on some C gussets for sure. Budget boosts are all pretty much the same, so just make sure you get a kit that has everything you need included. I agree 100% that you should not use the TF shocks. If it were me, I would skip the shock extensions as well as put out for something like a Rancho 9000 that is adjustable. That way, you can dial in your ride slightly and if your needs change your not shopping around for a stiffer or softer shock. Just dial in the settings an roll. As far as the tires go, the KO2s get my vote. Every BFG AT I have run has been great in the snow.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Good to know. I'll start with the mods mentioned above and put C gussets next on the list for Phase III. How much are those going to run me?

They can run anywhere from $50 - $90. Get ones that have upper and lower gussets. Then they have to be welded on and that depends on the shop. Or maybe someone in your area can weld them on for the price of a 6 pack.

GraniteCrystal

Is regearing required to go to 33" tires or is it just a preference. Also any one know what gearing is required for the diesels at different sizes, I know it's a newbie question but their is little info on the diesel wranglers on Internet with regard to gearing spec.

Required? Not at all if you're on the 3.73 or 4.10

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

A 33" is only an inch bigger than stock and when mounted it's probably less than that. All you would need to do is recalibrate your tire size with a aev (or the like) programmer

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've ran several sets of the original KOs, wouldn't hesitate to run another set. I think it's a great tire for a 4x4 that sees a lot of street but also sees some snow and dirt.

atrollip

Thank you Cozdude and Granite Crystal for your responses. I did a little additional research last night on the Internet and seems it has 3.73. Apparently due to the 460 Nm torque of the diesel it will have little power loss up to a 36" tire but that from about a 34" tire the front Dana poses a problem due the torque of the diesel. As this information doesn't come off here I'm not to sure how reliable it is but I guess il take it as starting point and go from there. I also just want to apologise for hijacking the thread a little but have been considering between upgrading between 33" and 35" tires.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Good to know. I'll start with the mods mentioned above and put C gussets next on the list for Phase III. How much are those going to run me?

C Gussets, should be on by the time you go into 35"s, they're not an expensive mod, maybe $100 between parts and labor unless you weld...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Thank you Cozdude and Granite Crystal for your responses. I did a little additional research last night on the Internet and seems it has 3.73. Apparently due to the 460 Nm torque of the diesel it will have little power loss up to a 36" tire but that from about a 34" tire the front Dana poses a problem due the torque of the diesel. As this information doesn't come off here I'm not to sure how reliable it is but I guess il take it as starting point and go from there. I also just want to apologise for hijacking the thread a little but have been considering between upgrading between 33" and 35" tires.

Go 35s, you'll hate the 33s and wish you got the 35s. Lol.

GraniteCrystal

They can run anywhere from $50 - $90. Get ones that have upper and lower gussets. Then they have to be welded on and that depends on the shop. Or maybe someone in your area can weld them on for the price of a 6 pack.

C Gussets, should be on by the time you go into 35"s, they're not an expensive mod, maybe $100 between parts and labor unless you weld...

Thanks for the price estimate. At that price, seems like a no brainer. May just have the shop do them at the same time as the gears, even if I haven't upgraded to 35s just yet.

GraniteCrystal

What size Dana are you running in the front? Glad you're finding some info!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the price estimate. At that price, seems like a no brainer. May just have the shop do them at the same time as the gears, even if I haven't upgraded to 35s just yet.

Yes it's a good idea to get them done no matter what tire size you are running! You can actually bend your C's on stock tires if you hit enough pot holes and such.

For sure. Most valuabe mod you can do for the price. When you start adding bigger, heavier tires, you can bend the factory axle C on a just a pot hole or the like. Not worth the risk.

Yes it's a good idea to get them done no matter what tire size you are running! You can actually bend your C's on stock tires if you hit enough pot holes and such.

For sure. Most valuabe mod you can do for the price. When you start adding bigger, heavier tires, you can bend the factory axle C on a just a pot hole or the like. Not worth the risk.

Did we just become best friends? Yup!!!

Top Bottom