Phase II recommendations: BB, gears, tires

What's the cost going to be to bump up from 35s to 37s when it's all said and done?
Really, as long as they fit, you can just put them on and tweak your bumpstops and what not. The cost comes from adding things like a stronger front axle, psc steering assist, heavy duty tire carrier, gears and things like that. And then you obviously will have greater wear on bushings, bearings, ball joints...

GraniteCrystal

Really, as long as they fit, you can just put them on a tweak your bumpstops and what not. The cost comes from adding things like a stronger front axle, psc steering assist, heavy duty tire carrier, gears and things like that. And then you obviously will have greater wear on bushings, bearings, ball joints...

Yeah, that's the rabbit hole I'm trying avoid with BB and 35s

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm on 33's and will go to 35's when they get worn, I still laugh at myself when I think that I said 33's will be fine for me...

So do yourself a favor and avoid 33's if you have the extra cash to go to 35's

GraniteCrystal

New thoughts on this: I have a 65b bumper plus Warn Zeon on the front, giving me some rake. Will the 2.5" BB help with this? Hoping but doesn't seem like it would. Seems like it'd keep the same angle 2.5" higher.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
New thoughts on this: I have a 65b bumper plus Warn Zeon on the front, giving me some rake. Will the 2.5" BB help with this? Hoping but doesn't seem like it would. Seems like it'd keep the same angle 2.5" higher.

It will a bit cause they are also leveling kits in a way so the front will be 2.5 but the rear will prob only be a 2" spacer

JAGS

Hooked
Yup, what coz said. A BB is a spacer so slightly less "sag" as a pure coil lift would give. Not sure what a 65b bumper is, but a zeon is only about 50lbs, so not too much weight.

GraniteCrystal

It will a bit cause they are also leveling kits in a way so the front will be 2.5 but the rear will prob only be a 2" spacer

Called Teraflex. Rear is confirmed 2" spacer while front is 2.5", so I will get 0.5" extra height in the front using just the BB.

They also sell addition 0.5" and 1" spacers you can add on to the BB to help the front out even more. Good idea?

What's the best way to know how much I need in the front compared to back to get it back to level? Teraflex said measure spring height front to rear and try and get those equal.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Called Teraflex. Rear is confirmed 2" spacer while front is 2.5", so I will get 0.5" extra height in the front using just the BB.

They also sell addition 0.5" and 1" spacers you can add on to the BB to help the front out even more. Good idea?

What's the best way to know how much I need in the front compared to back to get it back to level? Teraflex said measure spring height front to rear and try and get those equal.

What I would do is just buy the BB and throw it on. Then load up the back of your jeep with gear that you would normally bring wheeling and stuff. Most likely you will be squatting in the rear. If so then you could leave it as it will sit closer to level while DD or add a .5" spacer in the rear to help keep it level when loaded up at the cost of having it raked again when your unloaded.

GraniteCrystal

What I would do is just buy the BB and throw it on. Then load up the back of your jeep with gear that you would normally bring wheeling and stuff. Most likely you will be squatting in the rear. If so then you could leave it as it will sit closer to level while DD or add a .5" spacer in the rear to help keep it level when loaded up at the cost of having it raked again when your unloaded.

Interesting. I was thinking I'd need more spacers in the front but you're saying with it loaded down with gear, the rear may actually be lower. Makes sense. I guess we'll buy it, put it on and find out. I'll probably do a rough measurement in the garage tonight to see just how much rake there is with it empty just to know where I stand.

Thanks for the feedback!

GraniteCrystal

Follow up Q's

Reading through Eddie's Newbie Questions thread led to some more question...

Also need a 1" body lift, or only if I'm not going to cut my fenders?
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21017&viewfull=1#post21017

And sounds like I still may have some rubbing?
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21018&viewfull=1#post21018

Do I also need to plan on getting a new rear bumper and tire carrier to fit/support 35s?
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21021&viewfull=1#post21021

And he recommends going to 5.13 for 35s if you have an automatic (I do) and want a little extra power (who doesn't?), but previous posts in this thread were saying 4.88:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21019&viewfull=1#post21019

Also some talk about backspacing. Do I need to do new wheels? Of maybe just some spacers? Running factory 2014 Rubicon wheels right now. Will want beadlocks in the future. Would like to have the tires stick out from under the fender an inch or two.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No you don't need a body lift

You shouldn't have any rubbing

No the stock carrier will be fine with 35's. Just make sure you extend your bump stops to hold the tire like they do now stock

Since you have a 2014 4.88's will be fine. If you had a 2011 or older 5.13's would be better especially if you wanted to do 37's later down the road.

Since you want beadlocks in the future save yourself some money and run your stock wheels. That being said you will need to get a set of 1.5" wheel spacers. I strongly suggest spidertrax.

GraniteCrystal

No you don't need a body lift

You shouldn't have any rubbing

No the stock carrier will be fine with 35's. Just make sure you extend your bump stops to hold the tire like they do now stock

Since you have a 2014 4.88's will be fine. If you had a 2011 or older 5.13's would be better especially if you wanted to do 37's later down the road.

Since you want beadlocks in the future save yourself some money and run your stock wheels. That being said you will need to get a set of 1.5" wheel spacers. I strongly suggest spidertrax.

Cozdude for the win! Much thanks; I really appreciate you taking the time. I now have a clear direction and shopping list. Time to start saving!

Top Bottom