TeraFlex JK 2.5" Coil Kit Questions

dotnetrob

I have finally made the decision and ordered a TeraFlex JK 2.5" Coil Kit for my 4-door 2015 JK. I know I am probably going to get a bit more than 2.5" out of the lift. And just to answer the question that always get ask, I plan to run 35's, but will be running stocks w/ spacers for now.

My questions are...

What do I need to be aware of if I get 3" plus out of the lift.
What do I need to watch for or monitor?

vibration?
rubbing
drive shaft...?

What solutions are there for these issues? Or what should I do to prevent these from being issues?

front lower control arms?
what else?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Most lifts give more than advertised so your front drive shaft boot will eventually fail after being in a constant state of pinch. I'd monitor that and start saving for a 1350 front drive shaft and adjustable lower front control arms.

dotnetrob

Most lifts give more than advertised so your front drive shaft boot will eventually fail after being in a constant state of pinch. I'd monitor that and start saving for a 1350 front drive shaft and adjustable lower front control arms.

So what I can do to prevent the front drive shaft boot from failing, go ahead and install front control arms or what?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So what I can do to prevent the front drive shaft boot from failing, go ahead and install front control arms or what?

Can't really prevent it from failing unless you don't install the lift you just bought.

It isn't going to just combust as soon as you start moving but it is something to be aware of and to start planning for.

dotnetrob

Can't really prevent it from failing unless you don't install the lift you just bought.

It isn't going to just combust as soon as you start moving but it is something to be aware of and to start planning for.

k... so what do I need to watch for/monitor/check to hopefully catch this problem before it fails while I am 100's of miles from home.

WJCO

Meme King
k... so what do I need to watch for/monitor/check to hopefully catch this problem before it fails while I am 100's of miles from home.

Your driveshaft angle will be too steep. You will easily be able to visibly see the boot tear over time, but the joint itself will eventually start making noise and fail. If you're set on putting the lift on since you already bought it, plan on replacing the front driveshaft with a double-cardin style at some point in the future. The DC ujoint design handles steeper angles. No other fix unless you run RWD only and remove the front shaft completely.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

There is a rubber boot on your front drive shaft right above the exhaust crossover. Look for any tears in it.

If it does tear and you don't have the funds yet to replace it you can always pull it and run in 2wd.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have installed this lift. I went with the shock adapters and the factory rubi shocks. I don't know how much lift I actually got as I have never measured it. But with the adapters and factory shocks it should help to keep the front axle drooping out as much and the front driveshaft getting into the exhaust. That doesn't solve the driveshaft being at a greater angle though. I prob have close to 10k miles on it and I haven't had issues with the front shaft as of yet. I will say though, I haven't done a lot of wheeling/flexing it really.

dotnetrob

There is a rubber boot on your front drive shaft right above the exhaust crossover. Look for any tears in it.

If it does tear and you don't have the funds yet to replace it you can always pull it and run in 2wd.

I'm really not that broke. I am just trying to prevent or mitigate a known issue.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If you do replace your front driveshaft with an aftermarket one you will also need adjustable front lower control arms.

dotnetrob

Your driveshaft angle will be too steep. You will easily be able to visibly see the boot tear over time, but the joint itself will eventually start making noise and fail. If you're set on putting the lift on since you already bought it, plan on replacing the front driveshaft with a double-cardin style at some point in the future. The DC ujoint design handles steeper angles. No other fix unless you run RWD only and remove the front shaft completely.

I realize no one can predict the future but is this a 10k mile problem or 50k mile problem. This jeep will never rock krowl, will be mostly road warrior.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You could also see if you can cancel your order and order a budget boost instead. You will only get 2.5 inches of lift that way. Not worry about the driveshaft right now.

WJCO

Meme King
If you do replace your front driveshaft with an aftermarket one you will also need adjustable front lower control arms.

If I went ahead and put on adjustable front lower control arms, would that help with preserving the front driveshaft.

Why are new arms required? My kit came with longer fixed arms to compensate, but why would that be needed regarding a new driveshaft? Is the aftermarket shaft longer?

I realize no one can predict the future but is this a 10k mile problem or 50k mile problem. This jeep will never rock krowl, will be mostly road warrior.

From what I've seen closer to 10k. Measure your current ride height from ground to fender, then measure again after the kit is installed. If you are closer to 2.5 gain, then you may not need to worry about it as much. Others have said at 2.5 inches, shaft will be fine. Also as you add weight, winch, tools, etc, your ride height will lower too.

dotnetrob

Why are new arms required? My kit came with longer fixed arms to compensate, but why would that be needed regarding a new driveshaft? Is the aftermarket shaft longer?

From what I've seen closer to 10k. Measure your current ride height from ground to fender, then measure again after the kit is installed. If you are closer to 2.5 gain, then you may not need to worry about it as much. Others have said at 2.5 inches, shaft will be fine. Also as you add weight, winch, tools, etc, your ride height will lower too.

Have never raised a Jeep, so all this is new to me. I previously lowered many trucks, but that was 13+ years ago, had a few problems over the years but not many. Lifting is new to me, so new drive shafts, arms etc... is all new to me. My kit doesn't come with new arms, but new arms have been suggested to me.

My Kit https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72d47

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Have never raised a Jeep, so all this is new to me. I previously lowered many trucks, but that was 13+ years ago, had a few problems over the years but not many. Lifting is new to me, so new drive shafts, arms etc... is all new to me. My kit doesn't come with new arms, but new arms have been suggested to me.

My Kit https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72d47

To the best of my knowledge, new arms aren't required as far as the driveshaft replacement, but by lifting the Jeep, your front pinion angle will change and your caster will change. Adjustable arms will allow you do dial that back in properly. If you only achieve 2.5 inches of lift though, those two measurements may not change enough to even need to mess with. I'm not 100% sure on JKs, but with my WJ, it's basically the same concept. Coil over solid axle Jeep suspension.

EDIT: Adjustable arms will only help with the pinion angle at the axle. This still will not fix your problem with the upper joint being too steep. You will eventually have to replace the drive shaft if the upper joint is sitting at too steep of an angle.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
EDIT: Adjustable arms will only help with the pinion angle at the axle. This still will not fix your problem with the upper joint being too steep. You will eventually have to replace the drive shaft if the upper joint is sitting at too steep of an angle.

Cause of this is why I think you need both at the same time. Or that it's highly recommended to do both at the same time.

Top Bottom