TeraFlex JK 2.5" Coil Kit Questions

chester

Is this just a common problem with 2012 and newer Jeeps? I have an 08 unlimited with just 1.75 Daystar spacers and Teraflex 1.25 body lift. I was looking at getting the same Teraflex 2.5 kit. Sorry to thread jack.

WJCO

Meme King
Is this just a common problem with 2012 and newer Jeeps? I have an 08 unlimited with just 1.75 Daystar spacers and Teraflex 1.25 body lift. I was looking at getting the same Teraflex 2.5 kit. Sorry to thread jack.

This is a common problem with physics in general. Lifting vehicle's suspensions change drive line angles. The biggest issue with Jeeps is most Jeeps use a Rzeppa joint from the factory on their front drive shaft. This type of joint wears out very quickly under steep angles.

A body lift won't affect drive line angles at all as it doesn't interfere with the drive train.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Ok. Gotcha.

Think some of it is also a combination of everything. At 3 inches of actual lift, a front driveshaft is recommended. At 3 inches adjustable lower control arms are also recommended for caster issues.

Like I said though, I have this same lift and haven't changed my arms, driveshaft, or done a drag link flip kit. I do have a Warn Powerplant winch in an EVO 1/4 pounder bumper so I may have got only 2.5 inches out of mine. It doesn't look like it has changed before and after the winch though.

Stone_JKUR

I'm running this lift, and I netted 2.5 inches in the front and 1.5 inches in the back, but I've added a lot of weight to bring it down from what other people net on the Internet. My drive shaft has plenty of clearance and the angle doesn't seem off enough to worry about it

chester

I definitely got some added weight also. So I'm thinking I'll be fine. I just got to keep an eye on things and be prepared to upgrade parts of have to.

lidless07X

Why hasn't anyone suggested lower control arm relocation brackets ?

Since the OP has stated he's a road warrior, would they be a better option vs new adjustable control arms ?

lidless07X

No they aren't troll. Go away.

What's with your Asshat response ? I'm asking a legitimate question to help the OP get the answers he needs or wants. I am considering going a little higher than my little 2" lift myself so I would like to know as well.

From what I'm trying to understand in this thread, the extra lift is going to create castor and/or driveshaft angle problems.

Wouldn't the brackets help?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Why hasn't anyone suggested lower control arm relocation brackets ?

Since the OP has stated he's a road warrior, would they be a better option vs new adjustable control arms ?

I'm a road warrior and get out when I can. I chose adjustable front lowers. Do it once, do it right

dotnetrob

Kind of gave up on this thread. My questions seem to always net the same responses. No matter what I do to my Jeep, its doooomed... Apparently there is no way to safely and reliably raise a jeep and all kits apparently just lead to problems...

As I said I lowered alot of trucks, air bags, 4-links etc.. know a bit about suspension, but not 4x4 suspension. Did all my work myself and with friends, when I had them. Have no friends with raise jeeps, or friends for that matter, so have to really on the lovely internet.

I opted for the coil kit because I plan on adding new bumpers, already have a huge smittybilt storage vault in back, hard top, im fat, and will be eventually running 35" with a spare on the back. I figured with all that weight, coils have a better chance of not causing me to hate my jeeps ride quality. Yes, a budget boost may work, but I lowered many trucks, some with budget lowering kits, spring compressors, etc... All of which where never as good as putting a little more $ down and replacing stock parts.

Went to 3 local 4x4/jeep/custom shops and talked to people at all 3.

The first recommend a budget boost, but said most people come back within a year and want to upgrade. But the shop gave me some options, price ranges etc...

The next shop wouldn't even suggest any kit that was under 1800 and nothing below 3". And install was another 1000 or so. They didn't want to really discuss the kits and lift, I was just another customer to make $ off of.

The last shop gave me many options and suggestions, let me ask many stupid noob questions, but let me choose my poison. I opted for the Teraflex kit because if it give me a bit more then 2.5 and then with added weight comes down a bit, i figured I would be sitting good. But not all the add-ons/mods will be done immediately. Will be running stock wheels & tires for a bit and bumpers will eventually get added.

So back to my original question... If i get 3+ out of the lift, should I add/adjust something to compensate? The last shop recommend front arms and something else if I got over 3". What should I monitor for noise, wear, or something else? Should I gain weight to compensate?

aldaman

So back to my original question... If i get 3+ out of the lift, should I add/adjust something to compensate? The last shop recommend front arms and something else if I got over 3". What should I monitor for noise, wear, or something else? Should I gain weight to compensate?

I had a 2.5" TF coil kit on my previous 08 JKU and when I owned it, never had any problems with the lift. If you are not adding aftermarket bumpers (front & rear) + a 35" spare then you will net ~3" in lift. With those add ons then it will settle to 2.5".

Aside from what the kit provides to help dial your lift you can add:
  1. A front adj track bar to center your axle
  2. Front lower control arms to adjust your caster if it feels flighty
  3. A front aftermarket driveshaft or wait for the OEM to tear / break
  4. Longer rear brake lines if you feel the extended brake brackets are not sufficient
  5. aftermarket shocks other than the TFs

aldaman

Furthermore if you do get 3"+ more lift, a front driveshaft and front adj lower control arms will help....

Trail dog

Yeah I would say get your bumpers, winch and tires first. Then the lift will be fine and by that time you can see if that is enough lift. That is what I did my 2.5 coil lift came or to 2.5inches.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have installed this lift. I went with the shock adapters and the factory rubi shocks. I don't know how much lift I actually got as I have never measured it. But with the adapters and factory shocks it should help to keep the front axle drooping out as much and the front driveshaft getting into the exhaust. That doesn't solve the driveshaft being at a greater angle though. I prob have close to 10k miles on it and I haven't had issues with the front shaft as of yet. I will say though, I haven't done a lot of wheeling/flexing it really.

Think some of it is also a combination of everything. At 3 inches of actual lift, a front driveshaft is recommended. At 3 inches adjustable lower control arms are also recommended for caster issues.

Like I said though, I have this same lift and haven't changed my arms, driveshaft, or done a drag link flip kit. I do have a Warn Powerplant winch in an EVO 1/4 pounder bumper so I may have got only 2.5 inches out of mine. It doesn't look like it has changed before and after the winch though.

I'm running this lift, and I netted 2.5 inches in the front and 1.5 inches in the back, but I've added a lot of weight to bring it down from what other people net on the Internet. My drive shaft has plenty of clearance and the angle doesn't seem off enough to worry about it

Kind of gave up on this thread. My questions seem to always net the same responses. No matter what I do to my Jeep, its doooomed... Apparently there is no way to safely and reliably raise a jeep and all kits apparently just lead to problems...

As I said I lowered alot of trucks, air bags, 4-links etc.. know a bit about suspension, but not 4x4 suspension. Did all my work myself and with friends, when I had them. Have no friends with raise jeeps, or friends for that matter, so have to really on the lovely internet.

I opted for the coil kit because I plan on adding new bumpers, already have a huge smittybilt storage vault in back, hard top, im fat, and will be eventually running 35" with a spare on the back. I figured with all that weight, coils have a better chance of not causing me to hate my jeeps ride quality. Yes, a budget boost may work, but I lowered many trucks, some with budget lowering kits, spring compressors, etc... All of which where never as good as putting a little more $ down and replacing stock parts.

Went to 3 local 4x4/jeep/custom shops and talked to people at all 3.

The first recommend a budget boost, but said most people come back within a year and want to upgrade. But the shop gave me some options, price ranges etc...

The next shop wouldn't even suggest any kit that was under 1800 and nothing below 3". And install was another 1000 or so. They didn't want to really discuss the kits and lift, I was just another customer to make $ off of.

The last shop gave me many options and suggestions, let me ask many stupid noob questions, but let me choose my poison. I opted for the Teraflex kit because if it give me a bit more then 2.5 and then with added weight comes down a bit, i figured I would be sitting good. But not all the add-ons/mods will be done immediately. Will be running stock wheels & tires for a bit and bumpers will eventually get added.

Think you got all of your answers. Your either don't want to listen or keep overthinking this.

Run the 2.5 inch coil kit. Add your bumpers or whatever and the 35s. When and IF (big IF) something happens replace it.

Like I said, I have this same lift with the factory rubi shocks and extensions, the lift came with brake line relocate brackets for the rear. I'm still running all factory arms and front and rear factory driveshafts. Have probably 10k miles on it. Drive it everyday, no issues.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Or buy the EVO 3 inch enforcer, add the drag link flip, good shocks, and front driveshaft. Then be done with it.

dotnetrob

Teraflex 2.5" Coil Kit with Shocks is now installed.

According to my measurements, I am currently sitting at 3 1/2" of lift up front and 2" in the rear. Hoping front comes down a bit if the as coils settle. Front appears a bit high to me. Drives great, have put about 30 miles of highway driving and 10 of side streets and in my opinion is rides a bit smoother than stock.

Also installed 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers all around.

Believe I may add a new front adjustable track bar and adjustable front lower control arms to compensate for the additional lift. But would welcome any advise or feedback.

WP_20160122_13_09_24_Rich.jpg

Top Bottom