PR44 vs. Junkyard Superduty Axle

aaronstephen

I know the PR44 is a popular choice. But what are your all thoughts on a junkyard D60 with the Artec swap kit? Seems like you could get a much stronger axle for less money. Anyone have any experience doing this?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I know the PR44 is a popular choice. But what are your all thoughts on a junkyard D60 with the Artec swap kit? Seems like you could get a much stronger axle for less money. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Unless you can do all of the cutting, welding, gear installation and setup, etc all by yourself and have the proper tools to do this, it can wind up costing a lot of money. I know a guy that had almost $6k invested in a '05 Ford Super Duty dana 60 after getting gears, an ARB, axle shafts, Yukon hubs, ball joints, steering, etc.

The other questions to ask is what size tires will you run? 40s? 37s? If you plan on 37s the PR44 would be the logical choice IMHO. If you plan to go bigger, then it'd be wise to go with a dana 60.

aaronstephen

40's is the plan. I'll have to check out Grubbicon's thread. All the work would be done by myself. Best way to build your jeep.

Grubbicon

Me personally Id go for the tons if you have the funds and the time. PR44 is defiantly a great option for someone that doesnt have the means to do a full swap. I will say junk yards are defiantly cheaper then anything if your doing the swap yourself, but if someone else did the work that would add up quick enough to not make the junk yard axles worth it. Im guessing im going to end in the 12-13K range with my build all said and done. That is also with the cost of the ORIs. Im also running Detroits so that takes off some of the price right there with not having to buy air compressor and other things to make ARBs work.

WJCO

Meme King
If I were in your shoes and you plan on running 40s. I would just drop the coin now and buy front and rear PR60s. Sure you could do the junkyard method, but a lot more time, resources, etc. That's just me. I do enjoy watching Grubbicon's build thread though.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Maybe Grubbicon can answer this but I thought I remember the swap being more involved for the newer JK's. Something about the wheel speed sensors possibly?

thardy

Banned
Maybe Grubbicon can answer this but I thought I remember the swap being more involved for the newer JK's. Something about the wheel speed sensors possibly?

You are correct. I believe it's the 2012 and up that have the issues. But I know there's a work around, just can't remember what it is.

Grubbicon

It is harder on the 2012+ Jeep because everything has to be hooked back up. I don't know for sure, but I have heard its pretty straight forward to do. With my Jeep being a 07 I don't plan to hook anything up because I don't care for it or need all that working stuff. Biggest thing that will such will be the lack of cruise, speedo and odo. I may end up hooking that stuff back up in the future but we will see.

jorgelrod

Hooked
If this forum had a drinking game for every time anyone says junkyard axles, half of the people here would be suffering from alcohol poisoning...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
It is harder on the 2012+ Jeep because everything has to be hooked back up. I don't know for sure, but I have heard its pretty straight forward to do. With my Jeep being a 07 I don't plan to hook anything up because I don't care for it or need all that working stuff. Biggest thing that will such will be the lack of cruise, speedo and odo. I may end up hooking that stuff back up in the future but we will see.

You are correct. I believe it's the 2012 and up that have the issues. But I know there's a work around, just can't remember what it is.

Gotcha. Probably something the OP will want to look into depending on the intended use for his Jeep. Thanks guys.

Grubbicon

Gotcha. Probably something the OP will want to look into depending on the intended use for his Jeep. Thanks guys.
It appears OP has a 14 so it would have to be hooked up. There is probably a way to get around it but whole jeep probably would have to be rewired.

If this forum had a drinking game for every time anyone says junkyard axles, half of the people here would be suffering from alcohol poisoning...
Good thing your not on Pirate or everyone would be suffering lol.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I thought the whole point of the jk Dana 60/14 bolt kit from Artec was to make it actually JK compatible? Does it not? Compatible meaning it retains the abs and esp functionality by having sensors and tone rings.

Grubbicon

I thought the whole point of the jk Dana 60/14 bolt kit from Artec was to make it actually JK compatible? Does it not? Compatible meaning it retains the abs and esp functionality by having sensors and tone rings.

It does mounting wise but not electronic wise but i believe they also sell the stuff to hook up the electronics. With the 05+ SD d60 you also have to have from control arms with some kind of flexible joint on both sides. Ask me how I know lol.

jorgelrod

Hooked
good thing you're not on pirate or everyone would be suffering lol.

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

As to 2012+ issues, I can attest that while I ran the Detroit before the Zip locker, the jeep would go into Limp mode, for that reason I manually disconnected one of the rear sensors and started driving it. While I was doing that another sensor which apparently the dealer had broken the securing clamp would disconnect while driving on the road. As soon as that second sensor got disconnected, the tranny would stay stuck in whatever gear it was at the moment and would not shift. I'm pretty sure the same would happen in this situation with you...

Last edited:

BlackHawk08jk

Honestly when you buy something like the pr44 you are buying the ability to just instal it and the warranty. With a junk yard axle you don't get either and spend close to the same in the end

Top Bottom