PR44 vs. Junkyard Superduty Axle

jkwebbie

I thought the whole point of the jk Dana 60/14 bolt kit from Artec was to make it actually JK compatible? Does it not? Compatible meaning it retains the abs and esp functionality by having sensors and tone rings.

Artec has everything you need in the kits to make everything hook up. Since yours is a 2014, you need the 05+ Superduty axles, the older ones won't work. I'm doing the same swap as Grubbicon. I've called Artec a few times with questions and they have answered every single one and explained it with great detail. Grubbicon is having a little more trouble with his swap because he is changing the suspension. If you plan on keeping the same style suspension (coil springs, etc.) Its just as easy a swap as a PR44 but just with a little more labor on your end. But if you have any questions at all, just call up Artec. But just my .02 I would go with a Sterling 10.5 rear instead of the 14 bolt, the 14 bolt is usually a little on the narrow side, the Sterling is the same length as the Dana 60.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
God please dont spark that fire again lol

What fire? You mean the fire where comparing the two is fucking stupid because one is good for 37's and the other is just as expensive as brand new pr60's, that come with a warranty and bolt right into your jeep in a day, especially if you have to have a shop do the work for you

What fire? You mean the fire where comparing the two is fucking stupid because one is good for 37's and the other is just as expensive as brand new pr60's, that come with a warranty and bolt right into your jeep in a day, especially if you have to have a shop do the work for you
Haha yes that one...

Grubbicon

Not trying to start a super fight here, but its worth mention my whole swap with the ORIs is only gonna be a couple grand more then a front pr60 fully built.

jkwebbie

Not trying to start a super fight here, but its worth mention my whole swap with the ORIs is only gonna be a couple grand more then a front pr60 fully built.

Haha that's what I'm saying man. Like where are they coming up with the amounts for the junkyard swap at lol? When I priced the junkyard tons vs PR44 front and matching the rear with locker, gears, chromoly shafts etc. was almost the same price as the 1 tons lol. So why would I not go stronger for the same price? Lol

Yes I am just boot me now before I can troll anyone else.
Haha. Seriously tho, I think what Coz is saying is people like you who do everything in your garage are the exception. If someone were to do junkyards and pay to have the fab work done, they might as well have just bought a new pr60

Grubbicon

Haha. Seriously tho, I think what Coz is saying is people like you who do everything in your garage are the exception. If someone were to do junkyards and pay to have the fab work done, they might as well have just bought a new pr60

If thats what he meant I read it wrong and apologize because I completely agree that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Lol what medix said^^

We have talked a number of times and you know I like your set up and I'm excited to see what your struts can do on the trail. YOU are the exception to what I said in my post because YOU are doing all the work. If a shop was doing all the work you mine as well get brand new pr60's.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Personally if you have the skill, tools ,and knowledge to build axles it's a better route for your wallet. Buying PR axles is just not realistic for a lot of people. Of coarse that can go both ways because building axles for a lot of people is not realistic. To each there own. I will build my own axles and enjoy every minute of doing so.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Artec has everything you need in the kits to make everything hook up. Since yours is a 2014, you need the 05+ Superduty axles, the older ones won't work. I'm doing the same swap as Grubbicon. I've called Artec a few times with questions and they have answered every single one and explained it with great detail. Grubbicon is having a little more trouble with his swap because he is changing the suspension. If you plan on keeping the same style suspension (coil springs, etc.) Its just as easy a swap as a PR44 but just with a little more labor on your end. But if you have any questions at all, just call up Artec. But just my .02 I would go with a Sterling 10.5 rear instead of the 14 bolt, the 14 bolt is usually a little on the narrow side, the Sterling is the same length as the Dana 60.
I already have a Dynatrac PR80 on order, and will be ordering the XD60 front likely next week when everyone is back from KOH. It just seemed from reading a few junkyard axle threads that the Artec kit did not include a way to retain abs tone rings and wheel speed sensors.

Grubbicon

I already have a Dynatrac PR80 on order, and will be ordering the XD60 front likely next week when everyone is back from KOH. It just seemed from reading a few junkyard axle threads that the Artec kit did not include a way to retain abs tone rings and wheel speed sensors.

Your correct the "bolt in" kit doesn't but they sell the tone rings separately.

EDIT: I do believe the jeeps factory wheel speed sensors can be spliced to the ford ones.

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
This >>Link
I think last time I checked PR60's with rear full float was about $18K or so, and they are beef and look so freaking sweet :D

I am keeping an eye on Grub's thread as I am starting plans to go down that path (but with SD 11's). As mentioned Artec has all the stuff that is needed. Vick from VKSFab also can get pretty much any custom ringtone setup to most axle specs as well (in case you decide 14 rear instead).

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
This >>Link
I think last time I checked PR60's with rear full float was about $18K or so, and they are beef and look so freaking sweet :D

I am keeping an eye on Grub's thread as I am starting plans to go down that path (but with SD 11's). As mentioned Artec has all the stuff that is needed. Vick from VKSFab also can get pretty much any custom ringtone setup to most axle specs as well (in case you decide 14 rear instead).

I believe you are incorrect. Dynatrac Prorock 60 Full Float Rear with ARB lockers are $7,300 without labor. Where are you thinking or believing they are $18,000?

Top Bottom