Locking doors on a soft top

Notsodirtyhippie

I'm parking outside of my garage for the time being, is there any point in locking it? I live in a safe neighborhood and haven't had anything happen in the 4+ years of living here. I'd rather someone just open the doors than destroy my soft top or plastic Windows. But my husband is all freak like and wants the doors locked every single time. I opted for manual locks and with 3 kids in and out its a huge PITA.

anyone know of any kits that are worthy of a lock conversion?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I almost never lock my doors around town. My important stuff is in the center console and glove compartment other than my CB. When I go to the city tho I will lock my doors just for shits and giggles

Scrambler

I'd rather someone just open the doors than destroy my soft top or plastic Windows.
anyone know of any kits that are worthy of a lock conversion?

The first statement is why I have never locked the doors on mine. If someone wants to break into your soft top equipped Jeep, then locking the doors are not going to stop them and will probably just irritate a POS thief to destroy the top out of spite.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "lock conversion".

Notsodirtyhippie

That's my thoughts exactly. I'd hate to have to replace my soft top over my car wash money.

A conversion to make them power locks. Mostly to cut down on time in public. Letting my kids in and such. I do lock it in public. No ones going to mess with the top in broad daylight. At least not in the places I go lol

trailraider

I do lock mine, simply because I have the tuffy security for the back. I lock all valuables in the back , leave the top down and when I get back I know I will still have my "lunch purse" as the guys at work call it.

Irish Pirate

The top is more expensive than anything I keep inside. Even in a "regular" vehicle people will break the glass if they want what's inside. It's best not to keep anything of value laying out. If there is nothing of value then there is no reason to lock.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I've never locked mine. I have a Tuffy Security console insert, & I lock my handgun in a Hornady lock box that has a steel ring that loops around the seat frame, when I can't carry it, which is only at work & into Federal buildings with the permit I have.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
While I believe that if someone wants to break into your Jeep the will, it is always a good idea to lock it. Just that alone may be enough of a deterrent for the thief. If they can gain easy access from just opening the door, they are more likely to take stuff. To get into the locked glove box or locked center console takes not much effort at all. Gaining access through the soft top can be done, but have you ever tried it? I locked my keys in it once, and between the placement of the spare and the framework of the soft top, I had hell getting in. No way I could have done it without someone noticing. I looked like a monkey trying to F a football. Just my opinion.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My friend had his Tundras window broken in a public place, & 3 firearms stolen. Locking doors doesn't work.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
its all an illusion of security...

dont want people to take your shit, dont leave shit for people to take. 100% effective.

Samlautranger

My friend had his Tundras window broken in a public place, & 3 firearms stolen. Locking doors doesn't work.

This happened to me several months ago as well. 11 AM in the morning, parking lot of a public dog park. Snatched and grapped two backpacks, one having 2 guns in it ( as going to the range after the park). :mad:

Lessons learned, never again. When get new Jeep, will have 3 tufty lock boxes (Glove, Center, rear cargo floor).

Also, go with manual locks. Do not get the power locks.

There are devices being used, becoming popular in big cities - and gangs/criminals travel to smaller affluent communities - that can mitigate your key fob/electronic locks.

DMF

It's a numbers game. Leaving your car unlock will give that much more percentage of people easier access to your car.

Eezybreezy08

Only thing they have to do is unzip or cut it. I leave it unlocked with nothing that I care about left inside the vehicle. And no one messes with mine and I live in memfrica

Notsodirtyhippie

its all an illusion of security...

dont want people to take your shit, dont leave shit for people to take. 100% effective.

The only thing I leave in there is my daughters car seat. I don't want to spend another $200 to replace it. Maybe I should just lock it down with a bike cable under the seat. Past that, they can take the paper towels, case of water and spare roll of tp.

AC1977

The only thing I leave in there is my daughters car seat. I don't want to spend another $200 to replace it. Maybe I should just lock it down with a bike cable under the seat. Past that, they can take the paper towels, case of water and spare roll of tp.

I still lug around my daughters pink zebra stripe booster seat in the back of my Jk, black with tan interior... I should be so lucky for that eye sore to get stolen.
I have always left my Jeeps with soft tops unlocked, but I learned the hard way to remove anything you don't want boosted. I'd rather not have to replace a soft top.

Notsodirtyhippie

I still lug around my daughters pink zebra stripe booster seat in the back of my Jk, black with tan interior... I should be so lucky for that eye sore to get stolen.
I have always left my Jeeps with soft tops unlocked, but I learned the hard way to remove anything you don't want boosted. I'd rather not have to replace a soft top.

Hahaha my husband hates it when I left car seats in our truck. He would put them on the floor board.

Top Bottom