Locking doors on a soft top

I know it's a little different put I have half doors and a soft top obviously but someone cut my soft Windows to unlock my doors, I know it's different if you have full doors but could do it to your top. They also ripped open my locked center console and broke the lock and got all my stuff out of there. So definitely wouldn't recommend leaving stuff in there. Gotta love the world we live in now!

+1 for not locking the doors and stowing items in glove box/console. Also, I haven't heard anyone mention locking the tailgate. If you have a JK with the under-floor storage, you can't open it if the tailgate is shut and locked. One more secure place to stash!

+1 for not locking the doors and stowing items in glove box/console. Also, I haven't heard anyone mention locking the tailgate. If you have a JK with the under-floor storage, you can't open it if the tailgate is shut and locked. One more secure place to stash!

I think you can open it though from the fwd side not the tail gate, with minimal prying. Being that it is plastic. Tuffy makes a metal lockable lid, for around $165. I am gong to go that route to replace the plastic under-floor storage cover.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14142_001_07.htm

All locks do is keep honest people honest! If somebody wants in they will get in, no matter what it is.

I think you can open it though from the fwd side not the tail gate, with minimal prying. Being that it is plastic. Tuffy makes a metal lockable lid, for around $165. I am gong to go that route to replace the plastic under-floor storage cover.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14142_001_07.htm

Yeah, you probably could... then again you could probably pry open the glove box and center console too, but it's going to be pretty obvious what you're doing. Just keeping it all out of sight (or not in the Jeep at all) is most of the battle!

Yeah, you probably could... then again you could probably pry open the glove box and center console too, but it's going to be pretty obvious what you're doing. Just keeping it all out of sight (or not in the Jeep at all) is most of the battle!

Yeah, I am getting a tuffy center console and glove box also, and a under the seat bin.

Lessons learned, as my stuff stolen was out of sight also. Inside a backpack on the floor. Of course, try to keep valuables out of the car anyway - usually do. But, when you have to run into a store, or like me - only 30 minutes at a dog park, at 11AM, or want to keep your firearm locked in your car while you go into a school, federal building, or at work, etc. If had been, say parked outside a restaurant or movie theatre late at night, should not have had anything of value in my car. :mad:

If I leave my doors unlocked and someone steals my stuff, will my insurance company reimburse me for my stuff? If the doors are locked, it would be breaking and entering.

Even if I don't have stuff in the Jeep, it maybe my radio or glove box that someone may need or want. I'm just sayin'.

One reason I still havent gotten a soft top. I tend to not really leave anything in mine anyway except for the little recovery equipment I have. I also have tinted windows for this reason. Makes it harder for anyone to see if anything is in there

I used to live in east somewhat close to hickory hood. But thank god, I moved to Bartlett a year ago. So I don't have to worry as much now

I moved right before Katrina. My mom says it's gotten really bad. She lives in millington so she hasn't had to deal with much crime. Thankfully. Although she's counting down until retirement so she can book it out of there. Haha

Never leave anything of value in mine, 9 times out of 10 I even roll up my phone charger and stick it in the console to lock it up. I usually lock my doors with my keyfob just out of habit, but I do know that if somebody opens/slices the window, then reaches through to open the door from the inside the horn will sound. Had a buddy who left his soft top TJ unlocked 100% of the time, but still had his windows and top sliced multiple times. If people want to tear your stuff up, they will.

I keep tools, tow straps, jumpers, car seats, CB radio etc in mine full time. I lock the doors because in my area kids will go through unlocked cars and take everything from the glovebox. They don't break into locked cars. In the city that would be different. When I lived in Hawaii, I left everything open and nothing in the jeep- those cats will smash a window just to look inside.

I always lock mine more out of habit, but also so that the tailgate wouldn't be open and as easy to get into. BUT, if someone is going to break in then they are going to break in...

I moved right before Katrina. My mom says it's gotten really bad. She lives in millington so she hasn't had to deal with much crime. Thankfully. Although she's counting down until retirement so she can book it out of there. Haha

Millington is nice because it's small town stuff so nothing to bad really occurs there. But I came back to Memphis after Katrina and everything had gotten worse and the crime never went back down

Top Bottom