Locking doors on a soft top

I don't suppose anyone keeps a garage door opener and their registration in their jeep? I say lock it, sure if they want to get in they will but why make it easier.

I don't suppose anyone keeps a garage door opener and their registration in their jeep? I say lock it, sure if they want to get in they will but why make it easier.

That's a great point. I don't keep a popper in mine, yet. My old xterra is in 500 pieces in there. Hubby took the motor apart then his back went out. Maybe one day I'll be able to park back in there [emoji23]

I wonder if there was a way on a JK to hit the key fob to set the factory alarm but not lock the doors.. They open the door and the alarm sounds.. Maybe not giving them the chance to cut the top.

I don't lock the doors or keep anything of value in mine. It would be nice to have some secure storage though. I need a place to stash a gun when I cant carry, I have the tumble front seats so under seat storage doesn't seem to work.

I did have the above happen in my driveway, some kids found my garage door remote and opened it in the middle of the night. House alarm took care of that but not a nice way to wake up at 2am. I bought a mini opener and have it hidden well.

Last edited:
I lock the doors out of habit (can't seem to break it). Also have garage door opener inside but registration is locked in Tuffy box under the driver seat so thieves will not know where to go to use it. At home the Jeep is always in my garage. :twocents:

I've always locked my doors out of habit but after reading all of this I think I'm going to stop.. hopefully soon I won't even have doors on tho lol

Never locked the doors on any of my Jeeps that had soft tops. I also don't leave anything of value in them.

My registration and insurance information is locked up in the glovebox. I actually hid my garage door opener inside the roll cage cover on the driver side, if you didn't know where to look, you'd never find it.

I lock all of my doors just out of habit. Having the keyless entry makes it too easy.

But, in my opinion, locked doors only keep an honest man honest. Same with the soft top. If a thief wants my crap bad enough, it doesn't matter if I am completely topless and doorless or fully enclosed. Even with a hard top. They will get in regardless!

I lock all of my doors just out of habit. Having the keyless entry makes it too easy.

But, in my opinion, locked doors only keep an honest man honest. Same with the soft top. If a thief wants my crap bad enough, it doesn't matter if I am completely topless and doorless or fully enclosed. Even with a hard top. They will get in regardless!

Very true. Thieves will always steal crap.

After a few breakins over the years I always leave my doors unlocked but never leave anything inside to steal. It's about layers of security and smart parking that makes them think twice I've found. Tuffy stuff is not near 100% but it slows them down. Especially if your alarm is going off and they can't open your locked hood to disconnect your battery to stop alarm.
Then again I've had a jeep stolen by them just using a tow truck. It happens.

After a few breakins over the years I always leave my doors unlocked but never leave anything inside to steal. It's about layers of security and smart parking that makes them think twice I've found. Tuffy stuff is not near 100% but it slows them down. Especially if your alarm is going off and they can't open your locked hood to disconnect your battery to stop alarm.
Then again I've had a jeep stolen by them just using a tow truck. It happens.

Good god where do you live? I've had sunglasses stolen out of a car before. The night before a 10 hour road trip.

Welcome to San Antonio. I know it's ridiculous. My 2007 that I had just put some mtz tires on was found in Laredo. Apparently cartels like jeeps for desert driving.

I don't bother locking my doors at the house, or at the office, however both locations are pretty secure. In public I do out of habit, and leave all my gear either in my Bestop box or under the enclosure in the rear that I built.

Apparently the 4WP extreme warranty covers my top for knife cuts and whatnot if someone breaks in, so looks like I'm covered there for a few years.

Welcome to San Antonio. I know it's ridiculous. My 2007 that I had just put some mtz tires on was found in Laredo. Apparently cartels like jeeps for desert driving.

And I thought Vegas was bad. We moved to Henderson nv and have had nothing disappear. Super nosey neighbors, a cop and a homeland agent down the street.

The cartels suck. My friends exboyfriend was kidnapped by one a few months ago and is still missing.

I don't bother locking my doors at the house, or at the office, however both locations are pretty secure. In public I do out of habit, and leave all my gear either in my Bestop box or under the enclosure in the rear that I built.

Apparently the 4WP extreme warranty covers my top for knife cuts and whatnot if someone breaks in, so looks like I'm covered there for a few years.

I'm a new jeeper, 4wp means 4 wheel parts, correct? What top do you have? And can I get this warranty without buying a new top or do I have to buy a new top?

Top Bottom