EVO LCA spanner nuts?

Hammmerhead

I have these on my LCA's and was wondering if anyone has any tricks or which wrench worked the best to break them loose?

Hammmerhead

Pipe wrench

I tried an 18" pipe wrench and it wasn't slipping. They aren't reversed threads are they? I may have to put some heat to it, but hate to do that.

Anyone know of the right sized spanner I need for these? It looks like they quit using them on the arms for a reason.

Evil

I used a 15 inch Cresent with an extension and it worked fine both on and off. Should be standard threads, at least I do not remember them being reversed on either side. Hell try to tighten it and clear up the guessing. It will either not move or come loose :D
IMG_2989.jpg

I used a 15 inch Cresent with an extension and it worked fine both on and off. Should be standard threads, at least I do not remember them being reversed on either side. Hell try to tighten it and clear up the guessing. It will either not move or come loose :D
I installed mine with the adjustable collar all the way in for some reason and they need shortend little bit. Ill have to pull them regardless looks like.

Evil

I installed mine with the adjustable collar all the way in for some reason and they need shortend little bit. Ill have to pull them regardless looks like.

Try to get a basic measurement to set them up at, install and do your alignment and make minor adjustments. I can give you the center to center start but my coils are set up for a 4.5 lift. If anyone has a similar lift to yours you would be good to go with that measurement as a start. The first time I set up some EVO lca's I was all out of wack. Center to center and equal adjustments on both ends made the alignment way easier.

Try to get a basic measurement to set them up at, install and do your alignment and make minor adjustments. I can give you the center to center start but my coils are set up for a 4.5 lift. If anyone has a similar lift to yours you would be good to go with that measurement as a start. The first time I set up some EVO lca's I was all out of wack. Center to center and equal adjustments on both ends made the alignment way easier.
Thats pretty much what i did the first install, i just didnt realize how the inner sleeve worked till they were already installed. It handles great but im at like 6-6.5* im sure regearing will cause some driveline vibes if i dont get back closer to 4.2*. Once i fix it though, i want to be able to utilize the on-jeep adjustability if they are designed to do that.

Rubicon john

I used a punch that fit tight in the holes to turn by hand on one of them, but the other was so tight I ended up using channel locks.

Evil

Thats pretty much what i did the first install, i just didnt realize how the inner sleeve worked till they were already installed. It handles great but im at like 6-6.5* im sure regearing will cause some driveline vibes if i dont get back closer to 4.2*. Once i fix it though, i want to be able to utilize the on-jeep adjustability if they are designed to do that.

Do the one turn out and one in to get it in the adjustable range without going to far off of what you already have now, every turn out on the nut is one turn in on the joint. They really do fully adjust while installed but the adjust-ability only goes so far with them. I ended up having to ditch the EVO arms and go with a full set of Curries to dial it in right. Post back what you do and if it works.

scull20

So is the intent to make the initial adjustment length to the arm with the Johnny joint in the spanner nut...and then make the adjustment on the jeep using the spanner nut itself?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So is the intent to make the initial adjustment length to the arm with the Johnny joint in the spanner nut...and then make the adjustment on the jeep using the spanner nut itself?

Basically, just put in on the jeep factory length then adjust out as needed. It's very easy.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Depending on how long you've had your arms on, this tool will essentially be useless. I had to resort to using a pipe wrench. If I could guess, this is the reason why EVO now uses standard jam nuts.

Won't lie, I was really excited to see this change. It'll be so much easier to adjust now.

Hammmerhead

Depending on how long you've had your arms on, this tool will essentially be useless. I had to resort to using a pipe wrench. If I could guess, this is the reason why EVO now uses standard jam nuts.

That's what I was afraid of. Is it ok to not have both side CA's set identical as far as the lengths? I'm showing about 3-4 deg. more caster on the passenger side than the drivers side. The lower control arm bracket on the passenger is pretty beat and I'm guessing may have something to do with the caster settings being off, but I'm not sure yet.

Top Bottom