PDA

View Full Version : Schoolhouse Rock Turns 40

wayoflife
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Man, do I ever feel old today. For those of you too young to remember, there used to be animated clips played in between the Saturday morning cartoons call Schoolhouse Rock and they were designed to teach kids things through music. Today, Schoolhouse Rock just turned 40!! :crazyeyes:

The Voice Of 'Schoolhouse Rock' On The Series At 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9pDZMRCpQ

Believe it or not, Schoolhouse Rock is 40 years old. If you're a child of the 1970s or '80s, you probably sat in front of a television on Saturday morning watching those little animated lessons that told us why that scrap of paper was loitering on the Capitol steps or the finer points of grammar.

To mark the anniversary, Weekend Edition Sunday spoke with Bob Dorough, who composed, conducted and even sang much of Schoolhouse Rock's music. Dorough's career didn't begin in children's television; a skilled singer and pianist, he started out playing with some of the biggest names in jazz, including Miles Davis.

"There I was in New York City, just trying to make a living," Dorough tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "My jazz work was a little slow, and I was dabbling in advertising music, just to make ends meet. By then I was married and had a daughter, and so I needed that bread."

That's when his boss came to him with a problem: "My sons cannot memorize their times tables yet they sing along with Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones, and they get their words," Dorough recalls being told.

He was given a challenge: Set the multiplication tables to music. And what was meant to be a record-and-workbook package blossomed into "Multiplication Rock," the very first series of Schoolhouse Rock shorts. To hear more of the story, click the audio link on this page.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/06/168699556/the-voice-of-schoolhouse-rock-on-the-series-at-40?sc=fb&cc=fmp

gtony12
01-07-2013, 03:47 PM
WOW!! no way, now I feel really old!! But, I did love waking up on Saturdays mornings to watch it :icon_crazy::doh:

Jersey_Devil
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
O man..... Now I feel old! I used to love schoolhouse rock!

Paisano
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Wow, I heard about that program on the History channel? Ha

Linebacker
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Crap!! When Schoolhouse Rock was born I was already too old. That sucks!!:crybaby:

OverlanderJK
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I've never heard of it. But I have heard of Saturday morning cartoons. :cheesy:

10frank9
01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I've never heard of it. But I have heard of Saturday morning cartoons. :cheesy:

YOUNGSTER! No snorkels? How about He-Man, Voltron, Sesame Street and Mister Rogers?

OverlanderJK
01-07-2013, 04:57 PM
YOUNGSTER! No snorkels? How about He-Man, Voltron, Sesame Street and Mister Rogers?

No, no, no, yes, yes.

Growing up I used to watch CHiPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHiPs) religiously. I loved that show. :cheesy:

wayoflife
01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
No, no, no, yes, yes.

Growing up I used to watch CHiPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHiPs) religiously. I loved that show. :cheesy:

CHiPs? Really?? :cheesy:

Okay, so who's the guy in the middle?

http://70slivekidvid.com/puff/chips.jpg

JAGS
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't feel old that Schoolhouse rock is 40, as I'm still about a year younger than it. ;) I watched it religiously when I was younger and bought the whole set collector's addition for my own Kids some years back...maybe the 35 anniversary? (They didn't seem too excited)

What makes me feel old is when people I hang with, like Overlander, have no clue what it is and also have no clue about Snorkels, he-man, voltron, and probably can throw in Fragil Rock and New Zoo review into the mix. That makes me feel old.

OverlanderJK
01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't feel old that Schoolhouse rock is 40, as I'm still about a year younger than it. ;) I watched it religiously when I was younger and bought the whole set collector's addition for my own Kids some years back...maybe the 35 anniversary? (They didn't seem too excited)

What makes me feel old is when people I hang with, like Overlander, have no clue what it is and also have no clue about Snorkels, he-man, voltron, and probably can throw in Fragil Rock and New Zoo review into the mix. That makes me feel old.

What makes you feel old is that you are. :cheesy::cheesy:

I know who Voltron and He-man is. Snorkels and the other I really have no clue. I'm still a youngin' I guess.

OverlanderJK
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
CHiPs? Really?? :cheesy:

Okay, so who's the guy in the middle?

http://70slivekidvid.com/puff/chips.jpg

I do know the figure can't think of the name. Ponch was my boy! :cheesy:

Moochie
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
You can't beat a sailor with a can of spinach.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=RzdhMc6K8e0#/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=RzdhMc6K8e0

JAGS
01-07-2013, 05:33 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=RzdhMc6K8e0#/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=RzdhMc6K8e0

Agreed! Another great Classic show. Our youth of today, like Adam ;), have no idea what they were missing.

But Moochie, tell us a story about the days before electricity. :cheesy: Those are the best!

JKAnimal
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM

That's HR Puff n Stuff! :D Are those circles under his eyes? lol

I wasn't born in 69 when it first aired but I watched it a little growing up. I'm the same age as School House Rock.

I always loved the School House Rock growing up. I honestly don't think they could do the I'm just a Bill cartoon these days cause it'd have to be several hours long. :cheesy:

JKAnimal
01-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Woody Wood Pecker and Popeye were my two favorite after school cartoons! :thumb:

Moochie
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Agreed! Another great Classic show. Our youth of today, like Adam ;), have no idea what they were missing.

But Moochie, tell us a story about the days before electricity. :cheesy: Those are the best!

Before electricity my mom used to cut holes in my pockets so I would have something to play with.

OverlanderJK
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Oh yeah Popeye was my boy!

That's HR Puff n Stuff! :D Are those circles under his eyes? lol

I wasn't born in 69 when it first aired but I watched it a little growing up. I'm the same age as School House Rock.

I always loved the School House Rock growing up. I honestly don't think they could do the I'm just a Bill cartoon these days cause it'd have to be several hours long. :cheesy:

I have seen the I'm just a bill cartoon a few times.

OverlanderJK
01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Before electricity my mom used to cut holes in my pockets so I would have something to play with.

Inside or outside of the pocket? :cheesy:

MTG
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Rear pockets? That's disgusting! :icon_crazy:

gtony12
01-07-2013, 06:43 PM

That is really funny! wasn't he from puff and stuf? go CHIPS!!! :cheesy::cheesy:

my_jk
01-07-2013, 06:47 PM
This made me feel young just 19 years before my time :D but to be fair I did watch some of the shows as a kid

htweelz
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I learned a lot from School House Rock. I still remember them. My favorite was Conjunction Junction.

I remember the New Zoo Revue also and CHiPs and H.R. Puffenstuff all that good stuff they don't have on TV anymore.

Old and proud of it!:rock:

MTG
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I learned the facts of life, by watching "The Facts of Life!" :cheesy:

Cartoons: HeMan, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc.

Chips, The Fall Guy, Airwolf, Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, Silver Spoons, Fresh Prince of Bel Air...etc, etc, etc.

All staples of my childhood.

MikeLisa
01-07-2013, 10:30 PM

Chips, The Fall Guy, Airwolf, Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, Silver Spoons, Fresh Prince of Bel Air...etc, etc, etc.

All of those plus the White Shadow

familytime2
01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
Man, do I ever feel old today. For those of you too young to remember, there used to be animated clips played in between the Saturday morning cartoons call Schoolhouse Rock and they were designed to teach kids things through music. Today, Schoolhouse Rock just turned 40!! :crazyeyes:
Now this brings back the good times:thumb:Don't feel old though,even turning 50 in a few short days:brows:

10frank9
01-08-2013, 04:26 AM

Yes! All of those. But loved me some woody woodpecker on Saturday mornings. Or how about some old Hanna Barbera?

MTG
01-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Yes! All of those. But loved me some woody woodpecker on Saturday mornings. Or how about some old Hanna Barbera?

Ah yes, woody woodpecker. Was that on before or after Looney Tunes?

Skid_Kid
01-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Don't forget about some Fraggle Rock, Punky Brewster and the original Zorro. I had all the Voltron toys and Transformers.

MTG
01-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Don't forget about some Fraggle Rock, Punky Brewster and the original Zorro. I had all the Voltron toys and Transformers.

LOL! I almost listed Transformers and Punky Brewster in my list, but knew I'd catch flack for the later. :crazyeyes:

Fraggle Rock was on cable if I remember correctly...and we only had 5 channels in my house. :grayno:

Let us now forget Different Strokes.

JAGS
01-08-2013, 05:37 AM
LOL! I almost listed Transformers and Punky Brewster in my list, but knew I'd catch flack for the later. :crazyeyes:

Fraggle Rock was on cable if I remember correctly...and we only had 5 channels in my house. :grayno:

Let us now forget Different Strokes.

Silver spoons, alf, family ties, A-team, battlestar galactica, happy days, mork and mindy. Could go on and on here. Those were some good shows all at about the same timeframe.

How great was tv back then to be a kid. And Now it's about nintendo DS, tablets, iPods etc.

MTG
01-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Silver spoons, alf, family ties, A-team, battlestar galactica, happy days, mork and mindy. Could go on and on here. Those were some good shows all at about the same timeframe.

How great was tv back then to be a kid. And Now it's about nintendo DS, tablets, iPods etc.

Two words...Buck Rogers.

Moochie
01-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Thunderbirds, one of my favorites.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaGSo6TRXZQ&feature=related

10frank9
01-08-2013, 06:09 AM

Yup. Things sure have changed. Everything is a darn reality show or a competition show nowadays. Don't get me wrong some of it is entertaining, I mean I don't mind seeing some Kardashian er, talent? Just very different. I make sure my kids watch old school stuff still on tv, sesame street, tom and Jerry, looney tunes :)

Sharkey
01-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Two words...Buck Rogers.

No...two words...Princess Ardala. Come on MTG, get your priorities straight.

Anyone remember Electra Woman and Dyna Girl? Spandex and pony tails...ah...those were the days.

Sharkey
01-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Rear pockets? That's disgusting! :icon_crazy:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

JAGS
01-08-2013, 07:03 AM

Anyone remember Electra Woman and Dyna Girl? Spandex and pony tails...ah...those were the days.

Well, we've never met. But if you say you could pull off the spandex and pony tail, more power to you. :cheesy:

Sharkey
01-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Well, we've never met. But if you say you could pull off the spandex and pony tail, more power to you. :cheesy:

:cheesy: These days, I can't pull off either.

OverlanderJK
01-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Saturday morning cartoons when I was a youngster (well youngerster since I'm still young) were Looney tunes, Jack Hanna's Animal Adventures. That's all I watched in the morning and then Sportscenter with my dad.

Also Fresh Prince, Home Improvement, Full House, Family Matters, Andy Griffith Show. Those were classics!

MTG
01-08-2013, 09:53 PM

That would be like me saying my favorite show was Marta and you knowing that I was talking about Star Trek and Captain Kirk. :shock:

Pause for people to google that.

No, but I remember Wonder Woman and her magic lasso! :yup:

munstie
01-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Thundercats HOOOOO, snarf snarf :D

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.