Schoolhouse Rock Turns 40

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, do I ever feel old today. For those of you too young to remember, there used to be animated clips played in between the Saturday morning cartoons call Schoolhouse Rock and they were designed to teach kids things through music. Today, Schoolhouse Rock just turned 40!! :crazyeyes:

The Voice Of 'Schoolhouse Rock' On The Series At 40

Believe it or not, Schoolhouse Rock is 40 years old. If you're a child of the 1970s or '80s, you probably sat in front of a television on Saturday morning watching those little animated lessons that told us why that scrap of paper was loitering on the Capitol steps or the finer points of grammar.

To mark the anniversary, Weekend Edition Sunday spoke with Bob Dorough, who composed, conducted and even sang much of Schoolhouse Rock's music. Dorough's career didn't begin in children's television; a skilled singer and pianist, he started out playing with some of the biggest names in jazz, including Miles Davis.

"There I was in New York City, just trying to make a living," Dorough tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "My jazz work was a little slow, and I was dabbling in advertising music, just to make ends meet. By then I was married and had a daughter, and so I needed that bread."

That's when his boss came to him with a problem: "My sons cannot memorize their times tables — yet they sing along with Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones, and they get their words," Dorough recalls being told.

He was given a challenge: Set the multiplication tables to music. And what was meant to be a record-and-workbook package blossomed into "Multiplication Rock," the very first series of Schoolhouse Rock shorts. To hear more of the story, click the audio link on this page.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/06/16869...olhouse-rock-on-the-series-at-40?sc=fb&cc=fmp

gtony12

Caught the Bug
WOW!! no way, now I feel really old!! But, I did love waking up on Saturdays mornings to watch it :icon_crazy::doh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, no, no, yes, yes.

Growing up I used to watch CHiPs religiously. I loved that show. :cheesy:

CHiPs? Really?? :cheesy:

Okay, so who's the guy in the middle?

chips.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
I don't feel old that Schoolhouse rock is 40, as I'm still about a year younger than it. ;) I watched it religiously when I was younger and bought the whole set collector's addition for my own Kids some years back...maybe the 35 anniversary? (They didn't seem too excited)

What makes me feel old is when people I hang with, like Overlander, have no clue what it is and also have no clue about Snorkels, he-man, voltron, and probably can throw in Fragil Rock and New Zoo review into the mix. That makes me feel old.

l.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't feel old that Schoolhouse rock is 40, as I'm still about a year younger than it. ;) I watched it religiously when I was younger and bought the whole set collector's addition for my own Kids some years back...maybe the 35 anniversary? (They didn't seem too excited)

What makes me feel old is when people I hang with, like Overlander, have no clue what it is and also have no clue about Snorkels, he-man, voltron, and probably can throw in Fragil Rock and New Zoo review into the mix. That makes me feel old.

View attachment 11541

What makes you feel old is that you are. :cheesy::cheesy:

I know who Voltron and He-man is. Snorkels and the other I really have no clue. I'm still a youngin' I guess.

JAGS

Hooked
You can't beat a sailor with a can of spinach.

Agreed! Another great Classic show. Our youth of today, like Adam ;), have no idea what they were missing.

But Moochie, tell us a story about the days before electricity. :cheesy: Those are the best!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I do know the figure can't think of the name. Ponch was my boy! :cheesy:

That's HR Puff n Stuff! :D Are those circles under his eyes? lol

I wasn't born in 69 when it first aired but I watched it a little growing up. I'm the same age as School House Rock.

I always loved the School House Rock growing up. I honestly don't think they could do the I'm just a Bill cartoon these days cause it'd have to be several hours long. :cheesy:

Moochie

JAGS said:
Agreed! Another great Classic show. Our youth of today, like Adam ;), have no idea what they were missing.

But Moochie, tell us a story about the days before electricity. :cheesy: Those are the best!

Before electricity my mom used to cut holes in my pockets so I would have something to play with.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can't beat a sailor with a can of spinach.

Oh yeah Popeye was my boy!

That's HR Puff n Stuff! :D Are those circles under his eyes? lol

I wasn't born in 69 when it first aired but I watched it a little growing up. I'm the same age as School House Rock.

I always loved the School House Rock growing up. I honestly don't think they could do the I'm just a Bill cartoon these days cause it'd have to be several hours long. :cheesy:

I have seen the I'm just a bill cartoon a few times.

Top Bottom