Cost for welding on Evo Sliders

benatc1

Hooked
Thinking it's time to get some EVO Sliders and maybe a set of Skins. I have a 2 door Jk and while I will likely order and paint myself I do not have the ability to weld or a welder for that matter. My plan is to try and find a shop around Reno or Carson that can do the installation but just curious as to how much you all think it might cost to have them installed? planning on calling around but I don't have the first clue of a welder labor rate and don't want to get bent over. Anyway want to see what the total cost might be around before I fully make my decision at this point. thanks in advance

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thinking it's time to get some EVO Sliders and maybe a set of Skins. I have a 2 door Jk and while I will likely order and paint myself I do not have the ability to weld or a welder for that matter. My plan is to try and find a shop around Reno or Carson that can do the installation but just curious as to how much you all think it might cost to have them installed? planning on calling around but I don't have the first clue of a welder labor rate and don't want to get bent over. Anyway want to see what the total cost might be around before I fully make my decision at this point. thanks in advance

You might be able to find a mobile welder to do it for $50. I know I had my buddy who owns a shop do mine for $125.

benatc1

Hooked
You might be able to find a mobile welder to do it for $50. I know I had my buddy who owns a shop do mine for $125.

Sounds good, that's not to bad, want to make sure I get good work done though so I'll call around a bit and see what i can find. Also Coz, how do you like the low angled "step" ones? kinda torn between the two styles, I don't need the step as I'm plenty tall but my lady does, however if traditional style is better I'll likely go with them. I may install skins now or later too so that could play a role as well. thanks for the welding info!!

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

(Good) Mobile welders don't come cheap. I worked with a guy a few years back that ran his own welding truck. 100$/hr truck time plus his 65$/hr labor rate. The reason for the cost is convenience. If you have a broke down piece of equipment you have no choice. In your case you have the ability to bring the work to them. Not saying you won't find someone with a welder in a pickup that would do it cheap, but probably wouldn't be the best results.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I'm in the same boat here. Not a lot of experience with welding. Would it be better to find a dedicated off road shop with welding capabilities or a welding shop? Seems like cost is pretty variable depending on where you go.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sounds good, that's not to bad, want to make sure I get good work done though so I'll call around a bit and see what i can find. Also Coz, how do you like the low angled "step" ones? kinda torn between the two styles, I don't need the step as I'm plenty tall but my lady does, however if traditional style is better I'll likely go with them. I may install skins now or later too so that could play a role as well. thanks for the welding info!!
I really like them. I mainly got them to help the gf at the time get in cause she was short and needed it. Also it helps with people climbing in the backseat. Come to find out that I use it more now myself to help climb in or to stand on when cleaning my soft top.
(Good) Mobile welders don't come cheap. I worked with a guy a few years back that ran his own welding truck. 100$/hr truck time plus his 65$/hr labor rate. The reason for the cost is convenience. If you have a broke down piece of equipment you have no choice. In your case you have the ability to bring the work to them. Not saying you won't find someone with a welder in a pickup that would do it cheap, but probably wouldn't be the best results.
Well I never said the guy would be good for that price lol

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Let me know if you find someone Ben. Sliders are in my future too (as are C-gussets).

You may want to PM MTG--he has someone in Carson weld his on but I'm not sure what it cost.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you do all the prep work yourself and get it all setup up before they come, a mobile welder can burn it on in minutes. Don't know about up here but down in SoCal, I helped a friend have some track bar brackets welded up this way and it only cost him about $45 total. Just a thought.

benatc1

Hooked
I really like them. I mainly got them to help the gf at the time get in cause she was short and needed it. Also it helps with people climbing in the backseat. Come to find out that I use it more now myself to help climb in or to stand on when cleaning my soft top.

Good to know, Thank you. I think this will be the direction i may go

Let me know if you find someone Ben. Sliders are in my future too (as are C-gussets).

You may want to PM MTG--he has someone in Carson weld his on but I'm not sure what it cost.

Ill definitely let you know what I come up with, ill also reach out to MTG, he gave me a good line on a gear guy before.

If you do all the prep work yourself and get it all setup up before they come, a mobile welder can burn it on in minutes. Don't know about up here but down in SoCal, I helped a friend have some track bar brackets welded up this way and it only cost him about $45 total. Just a thought.

This could work out well if i found the right guy, will look into it! Thank you

benatc1

Hooked

You are right, you get what you pay for, ill do some searching around and see what I can find as the best option

Benito

Caught the Bug
I had mine painted and the area they were going to be welded cleaned up. I went to him, a welder by trade, but to his house. He charged me $60

vjusmc

I paid $80 in the Los Angeles area. Someone did the job at their driveway. It turned out very good. I will definitely recommend this welder again.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thinking it's time to get some EVO Sliders and maybe a set of Skins.

Awesome my friend!! I love mine and they are totally worth it. The other thing to consider is the powder coating, as I understand they come in bare metal in order to allow for welding. I had my hinges and tire carrier coated at Advanced Powder Coating & Sand Blasting here in Sparks. http://advancedpowdercoatingnv.com They did amazing work and I would highly recommend them.

benatc1

Hooked
I had mine painted and the area they were going to be welded cleaned up. I went to him, a welder by trade, but to his house. He charged me $60

Ill for sure paint first, what did you use to paint?

I paid $80 in the Los Angeles area. Someone did the job at their driveway. It turned out very good. I will definitely recommend this welder again.

Thanks!

My brother welded my sliders on my four door in 10 minutes

I wish i had your brother here to help me out haha!!

Benito

Caught the Bug
Ill for sure paint first, what did you use to paint?

I used rustolium flat black rattle can

I doubt that. You can't run enough bead in 10 mins. I did mine myself.

I would say it was about 5 min of welding per leg, 6 legs so about 30 minutes plus the time that it took him to move back and forth between each leg to not over heat the area, at least that's what he did.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I used rustoluem primer and then texture black. Came out nice.

IMG_4171_zpshybwsw9e.jpg

Top Bottom