Lockers

swampdog

I went ARB bc it was available in a 35 spline, has instant engagement, I wanted a compressor to air up anyways, and is the locker of choice on nearly all competition / heavily wheeled rigs.

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Most E-lockers come with a disclaimer that they are for tires 32" or smaller, although I have friends running 37's on stock rubicon e-lockers that haven't fail them yet. I personally run a Yukon Zip locker in the rear because, The Local Store I buy everything from exchanged the Auto Locker they sold me for it after we found out Auto Lockers do not work with 2012 and up JK's. Can't complain about anything except my choice to run the Locker compressor inside the cab just to have the smell of diff fluid inside my cab when I use it.

WJCO

Meme King
I currently don't have a locker but am going to hopefully upgrade my front axle soon. I will go with the ARB, heard too much good about it. Do it once, do it right. I witnessed a factory elocker stick and don't want to deal with that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Air lockers or E lockers? Personal preference and why?

If you mean E locker as what comes from the factory on Rubicons, I have found them to be weak and have gone through 3 of them over the years. If you mean something more like an Eaton, I don't have any personal experience with them. I do run ARB air lockers on both my JK's and like them a lot. They're strong and can be bought for use with 35 spline shafts. If there is a down side, it's that you do need an air compressor to make them work and if you ever melt or have a line cut, you're locker won't work. Of course, repairing a cut line isn't too hard to do even on the trail and you can always run stainless steel braided lines.

ARB's front and rear for me too. For all the reasons already stated above. I literally turn the compressor on at the trailhead, and just engage them when I need them. They're a really great product.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I also went with ARB lockers front and rear. I just flick a switch when I need them, mostly when I am already stuck or when I know I will need them. They are very reliable!!!

Jk_nate

I went with arb in the rear and a eaton e-locker in the front on my Tj. Both work great. The arb is a lot stronger but does have seals that can go bad and the installer has to know what they are doing or they will leak. I believe you will have many trouble free years with either choice though.

Brute

Hooked
If you mean E locker as what comes from the factory on Rubicons, I have found them to be weak and have gone through 3 of them over the years. If you mean something more like an Eaton, I don't have any personal experience with them. I do run ARB air lockers on both my JK's and like them a lot. They're strong and can be bought for use with 35 spline shafts. If there is a down side, it's that you do need an air compressor to make them work and if you ever melt or have a line cut, you're locker won't work. Of course, repairing a cut line isn't too hard to do even on the trail and you can always run stainless steel braided lines.

I've burned a hole thru the blue line to the rear locker once...fortunately, we had a splice kit that arb sells...worked like a charm. I've since replaced the blue lines with ss braid...

WJCO

Meme King
I've burned a hole thru the blue line to the rear locker once...fortunately, we had a splice kit that arb sells...worked like a charm. I've since replaced the blue lines with ss braid...

Where did it burn at? Exhaust?

Brute

Hooked
Where did it burn at? Exhaust?

Yes...near the headers. The blue line was sheathed with heat shield in this area, but it was an exceptionally hot day last late July '15 running up a narrow shelf road to Papoose Flats above Big Pine, CA...102 degrees that day, driving in 4lo 1st gear for 20 mins uphill...engine never overheated, but I melted all the wiring looms & burned a hole in the rear locker line. Trail fix with splice kit took all of 3 mins...highly recommend putting one in your tool bag.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yes...near the headers. The blue line was sheathed with heat shield in this area, but it was an exceptionally hot day last late July '15 running up a narrow shelf road to Papoose Flats above Big Pine, CA...102 degrees that day, driving in 4lo 1st gear for 20 mins uphill...engine never overheated, but I melted all the wiring looms & burned a hole in the rear locker line. Trail fix with splice kit took all of 3 mins...highly recommend putting one in your tool bag.

Don't have air lockers but I will one day so I'll keep the splice kit in mind. Thank you. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King

Thanks. Will keep that in mind. My compressor is in the back and on the opposite side of the exhaust, but I will make sure when I route the line that I watch for stuff like that. And will definitely get the splice kit.

swampdog

Added to my Amazon cart for my next purchase. Can't believe I went this long without it, just got lucky I guess. Good looking out Brute

Jdscott343

Thanks for all the input. I've been leaning towards the ARB air locker system myself and this confirms my thoughts. I also want the on board compressor.

Thanks for all the input. I've been leaning towards the ARB air locker system myself and this confirms my thoughts. I also want the on board compressor.

On board air is the best. I used my air compressor to fill up my wife's tires today in the garage. It's only the single compressor, but still gets the job done. If this one ever clunks out, I'll definitely update to double.

Top Bottom