How necessary is the rear sway bar?

Scottyjeep76

What are the pros and cons to removing the rear sway bar?
I've heard some guys take em out and there's no issues.

rinkishjk

Asking for a friend who's brake line is getting pinched somehow.
That's why I wanted pro's and cons. But I agree leave it on.

Your friend needs to relocate the brake lines inside the frame either through the shock mount area on top, or on the inside of the frame rails.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
How about that if you get in an accident, a good law firm will make sure that you are held liable whether it was your fault or not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What are the pros and cons to removing the rear sway bar?
I've heard some guys take em out and there's no issues.

Who are the "some guys" you've heard this from?

The links and posts provided so far are all spot on. I personally would listen to them but then, I'm just a mall crawler.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
How about that if you get in an accident, a good law firm will make sure that you are held liable whether it was your fault or not.

For a sway bar?!??!, You are kidding, right?

In my years, I have never seen a vehicle alteration or removal of something be sole cause for liability, ever. There are limited duties in that regard.

WJCO

Meme King
For a sway bar?!??!, You are kidding, right?

In my years, I have never seen a vehicle alteration or removal of something be sole cause for liability, ever. There are limited duties in that regard.

I think he's saying that an attorney COULD try to use it in court to further the victim's case.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I think he's saying that an attorney COULD try to use it in court to further the victim's case.

So let me get this straight then. Guy is stopped at a traffic light and is rear ended. The inspection of the Jeep reveals a missing rear sway bar. The plaintiff who caused the loss alleges the removal created an unsafe condition. Counsel for plaintiff sues for negligence citing improper alterations to the Jeep.

Sound good to you? Keep smoking that weed there in Colorado friend.

Removal of the sway bar is NEVER going to be grounds for negligence, not even negligence per se, as there is no law requiring the need of a sway bar PERIOD.

You are both way way way wrong. Please go back to watching the law on TV please.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So let me get this straight then. Guy is stopped at a traffic light and is rear ended. The inspection of the Jeep reveals a missing rear sway bar. The plaintiff who caused the loss alleges the removal created an unsafe condition. Counsel for plaintiff sues for negligence citing improper alterations to the Jeep.

Removal of the sway bar is NEVER going to be grounds for negligence, not even negligence per se, as there is no law requiring the need of a sway bar PERIOD.

You are both way way way wrong. Please go back to watching the law on TV please.

Go read state inspection laws for places like PA and Cali and then tell me if you still want to stick to what you just said.

WJCO

Meme King

Seriously dude! That is a horrible example of a scenario. How about a handling maneuver or the Jeep plowing into something then is discovered that the rear sway bar is missing? A lawyer could easily try and use that as evidence of a contributing factor in the accident. I deal with legal language daily where I see people use careful wording to try to blame people for shit that isn't true. Welcome to a world with immoral people that will throw anybody under the bus to further their agenda.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Which laws are you referring to? Tell me where it states civil negligence based on a removal of a part?!! Remember the allegation is liable, not any inspection laws.

Also, anybody been rejected for for failure to have a sway bar? Anyone?

Have you seen some of the beaters in California? How did they pass inspection?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

You're not giving a good example. A better one would be a high speed rollover after a defensive maneuver on the highway.

There is probably some math somewhere that could be used to people the sway bar would have prevented it if it was installed.

I'm not saying that it has happened or will happen but I am staying that it could happen.

Fires JK

I knew a guy in Arizona that broke his sway bar bracket and had a hell of a time driving cause the axle was shifting. Wouldn't think you could drive to well without one. Maybe I'm wrong I'm not a mechanic or well versed in the needs of suspension components.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Seriously dude! That is a horrible example of a scenario. How about a handling maneuver or the Jeep plowing into something then is discovered that the rear sway bar is missing? A lawyer could easily try and use that as evidence of a contributing factor in the accident. I deal with legal language daily where I see people use careful wording to try to blame people for shit that isn't true. Welcome to a world with immoral people that will throw anybody under the bus to further their agenda.

Ummm, the lack of sway bar is immaterial. The loss of control is the duty breached. In your example, the 2 of the 4 elements of a negligence tort action have been established already. The lack of sway bar would never be a SOLE reason for liability.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I knew a guy in Arizona that broke his sway bar bracket and had a hell of a time driving cause the axle was shifting. Wouldn't think you could drive to well without one. Maybe I'm wrong I'm not a mechanic or well versed in the needs of suspension components.

Was his Track Bar broken too? His axle shouldn't have been shifting if just the sway bar was broken.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
You're not giving a good example. A better one would be a high speed rollover after a defensive maneuver on the highway.

There is probably some math somewhere that could be used to people the sway bar would have prevented it if it was installed.

I'm not saying that it has happened or will happen but I am staying that it could happen.

Yes, the lack of sway bar could contribute to the loss of control, but again, the loss of control is the breach and NOT the sway bar itself.

Top Bottom