Rusted and tired gas tank skid

deadguy

I am on the fence of what to do with my gastank skid for my jk. I'm still running the OEM skid but it has seen better days. Being on the east coast it has seen its fair share of salty spray. It's actually starting to peel apart and rot out in some spots, and dragging it over rocks is not helping the situation. For anyone that's been in this boat, what have you done? New oem? Aftermarket? Relocation[emoji57] ? Just trying to see my options

Sent from my XT1096 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Well you would probably benefit from a thicker skid plate for longevity, so I would probably replace with an aftermarket skid. I have no experience with aftermarket. However, I don't think I will by a oem one if the time ever comes to replace the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danco3636

Rockhards site doesn't say if it "replaces" or bolts over the existing. I'm running rock hard skids for the engine/trans so I would like to use their skid if it's a full replacement.

I don't think it is replacement. I just order their aluminum one and I am pretty sure it goes over the stock one.

I have engine, tranny and transfer case on as well. My gas tank skid was taking a beating as well.

danco3636

Rockhards site doesn't say if it "replaces" or bolts over the existing. I'm running rock hard skids for the engine/trans so I would like to use their skid if it's a full replacement.

Just watched the install video. It goes over it. They say you can remove it before install if you need to and pound it out straight and touch it up before install.

Thank you all for looking at our skids - and thanks to WJCO for the PM about the thread.

Our skids are designed to bolt OVER the OEM plate. You don't want to remove it - it's what's holding your fuel tank up to your frame rail. 99% of the time, there's no need to remove it to pound it straight before installing our skid plate. No matter how battered it is, remember you've beat it UP, so realistically it's not going to interfere with our skid plate. Should you test fit our fuel tank skid plate, find your OEM plate does interfere with our plate, then yes, you can hammer it flatter.

Hope this helps. :beer:

ImLost7

I'm in a similar boat and have been looking for a solution for a while now. I'd like to hear more about this from the forum, but the Rock Hard 4x4 Skid Plate option is my front runner. If the stock one fails somewhere, the skid should be able to compensate.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

deadguy

Straightening is not the problem it's the rust that has me worried. Maybe ill flatten it back out and patch some of the rust holes before reinstalling.... Thanks for everyone's input and thank-you to rockhard for making great products

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Straightening is not the problem it's the rust that has me worried. Maybe ill flatten it back out and patch some of the rust holes before reinstalling.... Thanks for everyone's input and thank-you to rockhard for making great products

Can I give you mine to straighten and repair at the same time so I can pop my gas tank back out so I can drive farther on one tank again lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Man, I don't know how you guys deal with the rust out there. Best I can suggest is that you pull the skid, pound it out and apply POR 15 on it before reinstalling it.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Man, I don't know how you guys deal with the rust out there. Best I can suggest is that you pull the skid, pound it out and apply POR 15 on it before reinstalling it.

Thank you for that info Eddie. I was just beginning to look for some kind of system out there for addressing rust, as I have some on my axles and rock sliders. This 3 stage system looks like the perfect solution and they have a small start kit that you can try to see if it works well on Amazon.

Thanks again for the help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for that info Eddie. I was just beginning to look for some kind of system out there for addressing rust, as I have some on my axles and rock sliders. This 3 stage system looks like the perfect solution and they have a small start kit that you can try to see if it works well on Amazon.

Thanks again for the help.

Rust? You have rust issues on your Jeep?

Sullivan

The rust is a big issue. I'd remove the old tank skid make sure it's still solid. I've seen too many barely hanging on from rust around here. If it's at all bad, just try to find a new one from junkyard. Almost not worth patching it

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Rust? You have rust issues on your Jeep?

I am not sure if they are "issues", but after scraping some rocks in Bronco Canyon and the heavy rains we had during that time, this is what I found in various places on RubySky:

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

I am not sure if this is bad, but I figure better to address it sooner rather than later, so the POR-15 looks like the perfect product.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I am not sure if they are "issues", but after scraping some rocks in Bronco Canyon and the heavy rains we had during that time, this is what I found in various places on RubySky:

I am not sure if this is bad, but I figure better to address it sooner rather than later, so the POR-15 looks like the perfect product.

That is just a little surface rust and isn't anything to be worried about. If you want you can spend five minutes with a wire brush and your favorite rust buster in a can and make it look like new.

WJCO

Meme King

That is just a little surface rust and isn't anything to be worried about. If you want you can spend five minutes with a wire brush and your favorite rust buster in a can and make it look like new.

Yep. My sliders have rust in the same spots. I've repainted them a good 4 times.

deadguy

The never ending battle.... Where the drain holes are its literally peeling and chipping/flaking apart. I might cut it out and weld in a new piece just to stop it and add a drain hole myself. Everyone I wheel with has similar issues.

Top Bottom