Rusted and tired gas tank skid

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if they are "issues", but after scraping some rocks in Bronco Canyon and the heavy rains we had during that time, this is what I found in various places on RubySky:

I am not sure if this is bad, but I figure better to address it sooner rather than later, so the POR-15 looks like the perfect product.

That is just a little surface rust and isn't anything to be worried about. If you want you can spend five minutes with a wire brush and your favorite rust buster in a can and make it look like new.

Yep. My sliders have rust in the same spots. I've repainted them a good 4 times.

What these guys said, just a little surface rust and far from anything to worry about.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
That is just a little surface rust and isn't anything to be worried about. If you want you can spend five minutes with a wire brush and your favorite rust buster in a can and make it look like new.

Yep. My sliders have rust in the same spots. I've repainted them a good 4 times.

What these guys said, just a little surface rust and far from anything to worry about.

Thank you guys for the replies. I appreciate it and it is good to know. I just wasn't sure.

I usually (Once every few months) go under my Jeep with a can of Rustoleum and spray on all the little rust spots. Being in Florida I probably don't have anything to worry about but I still worry a lot...

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Is that a boat?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup. It's one of the Offshore Supply Vessels I was responsible for during its 5yr haulout. Yeah, the hull playing was eaten through due to electrolysis, there was a lot of steelwork during that drydock period. Lol

IMG_1479153721.353054.jpg

It's much smaller than what I'm used to, but being a marine engineer has its perks. :)

IMG_1479153889.030443.jpg

Last edited:

Ktulu

Did you replace the OEM skid? I just stumbled on this post trying to decide what to do about rust on my JK.

When I removed the transfer case skid this weekend, the rusty bolt and hole in the OEM fuel tank skid just came apart and I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it.

Van

Did you replace the OEM skid? I just stumbled on this post trying to decide what to do about rust on my JK.

When I removed the transfer case skid this weekend, the rusty bolt and hole in the OEM fuel tank skid just came apart and I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it.

So what did you do?

Top Bottom