Esp bas

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
To start this off: my caster angle has been wrong for quite some time now causing the Jeep to be all over the road. Well I corrected the caster angle tonight and now that it is not all over the road it is noticeable that the steering wheel isn't straight. So driving home from dinner tonight the ESP BAS light came on. (I know I know, it should be a simple fix)

Now here is my dilemma:
I have to drive to Phoenix from my mountain town tomorrow morning around 730am. It'll be around 20 degrees here at that time and I would much rather just fix the steering wheel in the warmth of Phoenix, but I'm not sure if the ESP BAS system will go into limp mode or anything. I have the traction control turned off using the key dance though.

Does anyone have enough experience with his and want to chime in?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

To start this off: my caster angle has been wrong for quite some time now causing the Jeep to be all over the road. Well I corrected the caster angle tonight and now that it is not all over the road it is noticeable that the steering wheel isn't straight. So driving home from dinner tonight the ESP BAS light came on. (I know I know, it should be a simple fix)

Now here is my dilemma:
I have to drive to Phoenix from my mountain town tomorrow morning around 730am. It'll be around 20 degrees here at that time and I would much rather just fix the steering wheel in the warmth of Phoenix, but I'm not sure if the ESP BAS system will go into limp mode or anything. I have the traction control turned off using the key dance though.

Depends how far off it is.
It could throw your ABS/Brakes on thinking you are in a slide, especially while turning.
It could also cause no issues besides a dash light. I've had the ABS come on due to the above, it wasn't a good time.
I'd straighten it out prior. Takes five minutes if that.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
It will turn off on it's own, but it won't turn off right away. I forget the threshold, but last time I went through this I want say it took about 5 or so minutes down the road before it finally turned off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Now here is my dilemma:

Not sure how correcting your caster threw your steering wheel off but why not just recenter it? All you need is a 15mm wrench and about 3 minutes of your time. :idontknow:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Not sure how correcting your caster threw your steering wheel off but why not just recenter it? All you need is a 15mm wrench and about 3 minutes of your time. :idontknow:

It didn't throw the wheel off, the wheel was apparently already off, but being that the caster was about 8 degrees off it was just all over the road and flighty, so you could never tell that the wheel wasn't straight

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It didn't throw the wheel off, the wheel was apparently already off, but being that the caster was about 8 degrees off it was just all over the road and flighty, so you could never tell that the wheel wasn't straight

Ummm, if you really had 8° of caster, your Jeep would have driven straight as an arrow and felt like a sports car. Too little caster as in, LESS than 4° or negative caster would cause your Jeep to feel flighty. Are you sure you corrected the right direction?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Ummm, if you really had 8° of caster, your Jeep would have driven straight as an arrow and felt like a sports car. Too little caster as in, LESS than 4° or negative caster would cause your Jeep to feel flighty. Are you sure you corrected the right direction?

It was 8 off. As in negative 4-5 degrees. It was terrible. Corrected it last night and now it drives great except that now you can tell the wheel isn't straight and the light came on

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It was 8 off. As in negative 4-5 degrees. It was terrible. Corrected it last night and now it drives great except that now you can tell the wheel isn't straight and the light came on

Ah, got it. Not sure how you managed to do that but back to what I was saying, why not just recenter your steering wheel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was just hoping to avoid it till I got to the warmer weather. It's about 20 degrees and frozen here

LOL!! I feel your pain but being that you just adjusted your caster in those conditions, something that is a lot harder, I would think that a quick loosening of 2 bolts and a turn or two of a turn buckle would be no big deal. But hey, that's just me. :cool:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
LOL!! I feel your pain but being that you just adjusted your caster in those conditions, something that is a lot harder, I would think that a quick loosening of 2 bolts and a turn or two of a turn buckle would be no big deal. But hey, that's just me. :cool:

Ah I was lucky last night and had the opportunity to use the nice heated warehouse at my work lol

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

Ok got it straightened out. Is there anything I need to do to turn the light off?
Also thanks Eddie! Happy thanksgiving!

Top Bottom