Help me pick a cheap strong diff cover with good clearance

chitown35

LOSER
So a Christmas list item for a family member is cheap strong d44 diff covers (front & rear) for a Rubicon. I'm tired of trying to guess based on info available online so I was hoping you guys could help. Here are the requirements:

*Doubtful any mods will be made to the steering (tie rod, drag link)
*MUST work with stock (0") bumpstop
*Strong enough
*As cheap as possible or they just won't get them as a gift

Any ideas? Current thoughts are Solid or Poison Spyder, will both of these work?

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

jkwebbie

I know a bunch of people that run Poison Spyder and don't have any complaints with them. I have Ruffstuff on my 1 ton axles, but they are pretty big. Don't know how big the Rubi 44 cover is by them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

swampdog

I ran the poison spyder 44 cover on the rear with no complaints. It also had the fluid fill hole at the correct location for the stock fill line so no guessing as you will have with other covers.

I just ground the bottom lip off the front 30 cover and never had any issue with it. I have read that the solid covers may have clearance issues with aftermarket track bars.

I ran the poison spyder 44 cover on the rear with no complaints. It also had the fluid fill hole at the correct location for the stock fill line so no guessing as you will have with other covers.
Same here. Its been awesome, and easy to work with.

chitown35

LOSER
Thanks for the info so far. Anybody ever remove springs to flex it out and check clearances with these? Or is that not even necessary?

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the info so far. Anybody ever remove springs to flex it out and check clearances with these? Or is that not even necessary?

Check your tie rod by steering both ways, that CAN hit. And yes, your track bar can hit some of them. Aftermarket covers have come a long way and have really tried to manufacture them where they won't hit at all. Personally, I wouldn't spend the time pulling coils to check, but rather take it offroad and listen to noises. If it does hit, it's not going to hurt anything right away and should give you enough time to look for a solution. That's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So a Christmas list item for a family member is cheap strong d44 diff covers (front & rear) for a Rubicon. I'm tired of trying to guess based on info available online so I was hoping you guys could help. Here are the requirements:

*Doubtful any mods will be made to the steering (tie rod, drag link)
*MUST work with stock (0") bumpstop
*Strong enough
*As cheap as possible or they just won't get them as a gift

Any ideas? Current thoughts are Solid or Poison Spyder, will both of these work?

Of the two choices you have listed, I'd recommend Poison Spyder. The raised logo feature on the center of the Solid cover is HUGE and I have found both it and the upper fin on the driver side can catch on things like your tie rod and drag link.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Another negative about the Solid d44 diff covers, you have to take a grinder to a small area on the inside of the cover if you have Rubicon D44s with the oem electric lockers, to provide clearance for the black plastic piece on the locker. Not a big deal, but an extra expense if you don't already own an electric grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

chitown35

LOSER
Thanks for the info everyone. I think PS it is.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Dynatrac diff cover. 10 times thicker than stock. Worth every penny
View attachment 232441

Another vote for the Dynatrac. I don't have them but plan on getting them. That way whenever I can get a pr44 I will already have a dynatrac cover on the rear axle and my OCD that I got from my wife will be in check. Then I'll just sell the front cover.

Petzl88

I have a Dynatrac on my rear axle and like it so far. I also have a Dynatrac for the front that I need to put on.

Does anyone have any clearance issues with the Dynatrac front 44 cover?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom