Long arm upgrade, worth it?

deezus

I'm running the RK 3.5" Xfactor on my JKUR, mid arm. Is it worth it to do the long arm upgrade on this, staying at 3.5" lift? What would be the benefits? I'm either going to do this or get new front/rear coils as I believe my have been over compressed because the shop who did the lift did not install adequate bump stops. So, its either coils only and I really want to try the evo 4"(not sure if they will work with my kit) or the RK's or coils and long arm upgrade. Looking for some guidance, thanks.
I wheel on the weekends maybe 2 to 3 times a month in the summer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At 3.5" of lift, you could go either way but I don't know if I'd bother with long arms especially if you're happy enough with your ride now.

sblackf1

I think for your rig and off roading frequency, a long arm conversion is involved, pricey and not needed. You'll get little return of investment. But on the other hand; we drive jeeps and dump tons of money into them and its rarely about 'need' :) . So if you want a long arm, get a long arm.

PokerStogey

I think for your rig and off roading frequency, a long arm conversion is involved, pricey and not needed. You'll get little return of investment. But on the other hand; we drive jeeps and dump tons of money into them and its rarely about 'need' :) . So if you want a long arm, get a long arm.

Haha... so true from what I am seeing. But where is the fun in modding if you "need" it?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

This😁

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

At 3.5" of lift, you could go either way but I don't know if I'd bother with long arms especially if you're happy enough with your ride now.
Im happy and you guys are right but i do want yo change my coils at least and was wondering if i could use Evos PR 4" eith my kit. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would i have any issues? And which springs give more lift?

Not sure why you'd have any issues. The EVO plush ride coils will give you exactly 4" of lift or close to it. If you're comparing them to the 3.5" RK coils, I couldn't say for sure but you could very well have about the same amount of lift.

Ddays

Hooked
Would i have any issues? And which springs give more lift?

Not sure why you'd have any issues. The EVO plush ride coils will give you exactly 4" of lift or close to it. If you're comparing them to the 3.5" RK coils, I couldn't say for sure but you could very well have about the same amount of lift.

I never measured mine after adding the tire carrier and all of the skins, sliders & winch, but before that I had every bit of 4" of lift with my RK coils. If I was doing this over I would probably go with the plush rides. Of all the guys running them I have never heard a single bad comment on them.

deezus

That's what I wanted to know I mean if I get any increase and a better ride, not my coils fault the shop who installed my kit) it would be nice.... thanks for the input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I never measured mine after adding the tire carrier and all of the skins, sliders & winch, but before that I had every bit of 4" of lift with my RK coils. If I was doing this over I would probably go with the plush rides. Of all the guys running them I have never heard a single bad comment on them.

Without question, the Plush Ride coils are the most comfortable coils I have ever tested but that comfort does come at a price. If you load up your Jeep with a TON of gear like I do, the rear end of your Jeep will sag. To help address this, I ended up running 1" rear coil spacer. I figured, better to look a little ass high when unloaded than be ass down on the trail and really, I'm almost never unloaded. For me, I would prefer a soft comfortable ride that can sag than to have a stiff firm ride that holds up weight.

I'm running the RK 3.5" Xfactor on my JKUR, mid arm. Is it worth it to do the long arm upgrade on this, staying at 3.5" lift? What would be the benefits? I'm either going to do this or get new front/rear coils as I believe my have been over compressed because the shop who did the lift did not install adequate bump stops. So, its either coils only and I really want to try the evo 4"(not sure if they will work with my kit) or the RK's or coils and long arm upgrade. Looking for some guidance, thanks.
I wheel on the weekends maybe 2 to 3 times a month in the summer.

After working on and test driving a bazillion JKs, I can honestly say that unless you're going gigantic, going for really crazy articulation or really wanting to go fast on the dirt all the time, a long arm kit really won't get you much more than what you have now. Factory style JK arms are long enough to give you a great ride up to about 4- 4.5" of lift and can get you into a 12" travel shock with a little work.

pbujk13

I have a 2.5-3 result lift, with long arms (on Duratrac 315/70R17 33.5 actual). Worth it (price, labor, etc.)? Nope, not close until you go BIG especially on the JKU. Better off getting a good set of 8 factory length-sh arms, good coils, and shocks (can't speak to coilovers). Fun, yes, always modifying the JK is always fun and hitting the trails is fun too.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Better off getting a good set of 8 factory length-sh arms, good coils, and shocks (can't speak to coilovers). Fun, yes, always modifying the JK is always fun and hitting the trails is fun too.

Or save money by only getting arms that are needed to adjust for caster and pinion angle etc. :yup:

Ddays

Hooked
Or save money by only getting arms that are needed to adjust for caster and pinion angle etc. :yup:

^^ This needs to be a stickie or something. Way too many people (including my former self) buy into the notion that you need 8 all new arms when you put in a lift...

Last edited:

mastrcruse

I recently went from the 3.5" X factor midarm to the X factor long arm. It's not worth it at 3.5"...my midarm was a little bit tighter in the rear because it wasn't a 3 link and it's a bit squashier now. Is it smoother, yes, I'd say the onroad characteristics got more fluid.

With how much the kit is, put that away and buy something else at 3.5" long arm doesn't make THAT big of a difference. Both are great setups and have a great onroad and offroad ride so you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom