Quadratec Hardrock Wheels

matt87951

Hey everyone,

Let me first start by saying I've read the great post by Wayoflife, JK FAQ - Answers to Questions Every Newbie has about the Jeep JK Wrangler, specifically regarding the wheels and tires. I understand clearly, that the ideal backspacing for a set of wheels running 12.5" wide tires would be 4.5" of backspacing, with an ideal width of 8" rim. All that said, I really like the rims that are stock on my 2013 JKUR 10th Anniversary edition. When Quadratec came out with their Hardrock wheels that are wider and have a little better backspacing, I have never really been able to stop considering them as my next upgrade. I also searched the forum and only found one other thread talking about these Quadratec Hardrock wheels, but it didn't give any feedback into if they would work or not. I also did ask Quadratec directly, but I have not heard back yet.

On my Jeep I have installed a JKS JSPEC 3.5" lift, with JKS Front Adjustable LCA, JKS Drag Link Flip, a new 1310 front Driveshaft and stainless brake lines. I also installed 35x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the factory wheels, with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. Also - I have factory fender flares, I plan to Keep them as long as I can (until they get damaged / broken). I like the look of my painted flares, so I want to run them as long as possible. When I loose these, I will likely go with Bushwacker flares, and paint match them to the Jeep.

Thus, my question is can I use the Quadratec Hardrock wheels with my current lift and probably more importantly, my 35x12.5x17 tires, without the use of wheel spacers? My goal is, keeping the factory-looking wheels (my favorite wheels), while also eliminating the wheel spacers. I know I don't wheel as much as lot of you, but I do wheel, and I go everywhere my Jeep can go. I would say on average, I will hit trails about 5-times per year. However, those trips will usually be several days of wheeling in a row. I don't have a tow vehicle, so I drive my Jeep to the trails and home again after.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. It might be as simple as "no", crushing all my hopes, but I would rather know that now, before I go ahead and buy the wheels and have my tires mounted and balanced on those, only to find out they won't work. Thanks in advance!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I looked at them, when I was buying. I was afraid I'd still have to run wheel spacers, so I took another route. Mine are ProComp La Paz 17 x 8.5 with 4.75" bs, and they are okay with 315/70R17, but just barely.
If I had it to do over, I'd go 4.5".

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

matt87951

What are the exact specs on the qtech wheels?

That would be helpful to know. The back spacing if nothing else :idontknow:

Sorry guys, and thanks notnalc68 for responding with the specs. I realized after posting I hadn't added the Backspacing information on the Quadratec wheels.

matt87951

That's a LOT of back spacing. I would not run them with a 12.50 wide tire. 4.5" is the most one should go with.

I looked at them, when I was buying. I was afraid I'd still have to run wheel spacers, so I took another route. Mine are ProComp La Paz 17 x 8.5 with 4.75" bs, and they are okay with 315/70R17, but just barely.
If I had it to do over, I'd go 4.5".

Bummer, that's pretty much what I figured though. It seems strange that Quadratec would build a look-a-like wheel, that you can't run the most common width tire. Maybe they will redesign with a more standard 4.5" of backspacing (Ha)? I appreciate the comments. Back to the drawing board. I was really hoping these would work for me, but I guess I'll have to go with another route on wheels.

zimm

Caught the Bug
That's the same backspacing as the AEV Salta's I'm running. They do work with 315 duratracs, but rub on the lower control arms at full turn. If I was buying new wheels again- I'd get some ATX beadlocks because they look cool with rock rash and the Salta's, not so much.

Last edited:

matt87951

That's the same backspacing as the AEV Salta's I'm running. They do work with 315 duratracs, but rub on the lower control arms at full turn. If I was buying new wheels again- I'd get some ATX beadlocks because they look cool with rock rash and the Salta's, not so much.

AEV's wheel backspacing was partly why I made this post. I figured, considering AEV has several wheels (Maybe all of them?) with 5.2" of backspacing, I was hoping maybe it wasn't such a bad thing and I would be able to get away with it.

GraniteCrystal

My guess is they plan on you running spacers. If you go with a 4.5" backspacing, you don't really want to run spacers because your tire starts getting really far out there. It's like 3" backspacing. But with 5.2" bs and spacers you're around 3.7" bs which is a nice number even for a 13.5" tire.

Now, why they don't make it with 3.75" bs to begin with, I don't know.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is they plan on you running spacers. If you go with a 4.5" backspacing, you don't really want to run spacers because your tire starts getting really far out there. It's like 3" backspacing. But with 5.2" bs and spacers you're around 3.7" bs which is a nice number even for a 13.5" tire.

Now, why they don't make it with 3.75" bs to begin with, I don't know.

Because 3.75" is technically too little back spacing. Factory is 6.25" for a reason and a lot of it is to help keep your wheels centered and over important components like your ball joints and unit bearings. You have to remember that it's also designed for optimal scrub radius and steering. Not that guys like us care about any of this being that we understand what we're getting ourselves into when we start modifying our Jeeps but companies like AEV like to keep things as factory as possible.

matt87951

Are you against running spacers? I'd say run your Stock set with some 1.5 inch wheel spacers and call it a day. :)

Not completely against it, because I am running them currently (1.5" Spidertrax spacers). I just want to get ride of as many points of failure as I can. I got the spacers knowing that I would not be running them forever. The plan would be for different wheels eventually. I personally just love the look of the factory wheels I have, so I figured if I could keep the stock look, and get rid of my spacers at the same time (Plus a slightly wider wheel for tire wear reasons), it would make perfect sense to go with these. I pretty much knew going into this question that they probably wouldn't work, but I had to be sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just want to get ride of as many points of failure as I can.

A quality wheel spacer like what you have, Spidertrax, is NOT going to be a point of failure assuming you installed them correctly and check them on a regular basis like you would anything on your Jeep.

USMC Wrangler

Not completely against it, because I am running them currently (1.5" Spidertrax spacers). I just want to get ride of as many points of failure as I can. I got the spacers knowing that I would not be running them forever. The plan would be for different wheels eventually. I personally just love the look of the factory wheels I have, so I figured if I could keep the stock look, and get rid of my spacers at the same time (Plus a slightly wider wheel for tire wear reasons), it would make perfect sense to go with these. I pretty much knew going into this question that they probably wouldn't work, but I had to be sure.

A quality wheel spacer like what you have, Spidertrax, is NOT going to be a point of failure assuming you installed them correctly and check them on a regular basis like you would anything on your Jeep.

I ran Spidertrax for about 10k miles without one single problem. I only sold them after getting a smoking deal on wheels and tires. I'm with Eddie. Installed correctly, Spidertrax spacers are not a weak point.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

SilverBack

I ran Spidertrax for about 10k miles without one single problem. I only sold them after getting a smoking deal on wheels and tires. I'm with Eddie. Installed correctly, Spidertrax spacers are not a weak point.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

I've run my spidertrax for about 26,000 miles all over European roads good and horrendous both. Not a single issue! Even now with 285/75R17 tires, weighing in at nearly 92lbs per corner, for that last 2500 miles they are rock solid!!! So, anyone that tells you they are unsafe either, got scammed on eBay, didn't install them correctly or didn't check them each time they rotated tires.

DawnPatrol

Hey everyone,

Let me first start by saying I've read the great post by Wayoflife, JK FAQ - Answers to Questions Every Newbie has about the Jeep JK Wrangler, specifically regarding the wheels and tires. I understand clearly, that the ideal backspacing for a set of wheels running 12.5" wide tires would be 4.5" of backspacing, with an ideal width of 8" rim. All that said, I really like the rims that are stock on my 2013 JKUR 10th Anniversary edition. When Quadratec came out with their Hardrock wheels that are wider and have a little better backspacing, I have never really been able to stop considering them as my next upgrade. I also searched the forum and only found one other thread talking about these Quadratec Hardrock wheels, but it didn't give any feedback into if they would work or not. I also did ask Quadratec directly, but I have not heard back yet.

On my Jeep I have installed a JKS JSPEC 3.5" lift, with JKS Front Adjustable LCA, JKS Drag Link Flip, a new 1310 front Driveshaft and stainless brake lines. I also installed 35x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the factory wheels, with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. Also - I have factory fender flares, I plan to Keep them as long as I can (until they get damaged / broken). I like the look of my painted flares, so I want to run them as long as possible. When I loose these, I will likely go with Bushwacker flares, and paint match them to the Jeep.

Thus, my question is can I use the Quadratec Hardrock wheels with my current lift and probably more importantly, my 35x12.5x17 tires, without the use of wheel spacers? My goal is, keeping the factory-looking wheels (my favorite wheels), while also eliminating the wheel spacers. I know I don't wheel as much as lot of you, but I do wheel, and I go everywhere my Jeep can go. I would say on average, I will hit trails about 5-times per year. However, those trips will usually be several days of wheeling in a row. I don't have a tow vehicle, so I drive my Jeep to the trails and home again after.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. It might be as simple as "no", crushing all my hopes, but I would rather know that now, before I go ahead and buy the wheels and have my tires mounted and balanced on those, only to find out they won't work. Thanks in advance!

Just my 2 cents on this, I ran into this dilemma a few months ago when i got my AEV Pintlers that are now listed as having 5.2 backspacing. I'm running a 2.5 inch coil lift netting me around 3 inches paired with BFG KO2's size 315/70/r17 on my pintlers and I haven't even come close to rubbing at full lock on the lower or upper control arms. Since you have the 3.5 inch lift I would assume this is where you'd rub. With that being said, the 315's have a section width of 12.7(wider than the 35's at 12.5) and a tread width of 9.9 which is roughly 1.2 inches narrower than the 35's. I would say that I definitely have an Inch or 2 to spare and even so, as many members will tell you, just extent your turning radius bolt a touch and you will never rub.

Napalm

Overall "build thread"

I ran eBay spacers on my last rig and they failed.

Needless to say, with Steel I will be running SpiderTrax.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran eBay spacers on my last rig and they failed.

Needless to say, with Steel I will be running SpiderTrax.

Yep, I've made the same mistake in the past. The problem with the cheap china spacers is that they use inferior studs and that's what fails or, at least that's what happened to me. I have run Spidertrax on pretty much every Jeep I've owned since and without any problems.

Top Bottom