Looking for rear bumper w/ tire carrier

Dprochef

New to this forum and to Jeeps, I'm getting my first mods in place ( 3in lift and 35's) so I know I need a new tire carrier so as to not damage the rear door/factory tire carrier. I like the look of a bumper mounted tie carrier. I want to be able to use my factory hitch as ( I think) it will be better for towing trailers and such.

Anyone know of a product that may work and not put me back too much. I would like to stay at 1K if possible

2017 JKU sahara

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, I would look at an AEV tire carrier. They sell for $790 and it attaches to your frame rail - where the weight of your spare should be. It can be used with your factory bumper and therefore, can be used with your factory hitch receiver as well.

zimm

Caught the Bug
ACE is heavy, but cheaper ($1000) and works great. 1/4" steel, tow rated hitch, available back up lights, holds a CB antenna, optional jerry can or hi lift holder available, fits perfect, I have one, as well as 2 others in my club. No rattles or issues in over a year. If you call them, you can get a lower tire mount so you can see out the back. I got one 1.5" lower than it comes with- because they're spec'd for a 37-40" tire. I also flush mounted a mopar 7 pin trailer socket and back up camera in it.

I've heard good stuff on the JCR one too, but have not seen one in person.

Here's the only pic I have of mine while on my work computer:

GraniteCrystal

Lots of guys run a 35" tire on the stock carrier. Just need to update the isolators. Do some searching on here and you'll see examples.

If you do want aftermarket, the AEV one is a good way to go if you want to keep your rear bumper.

LoD came out with a new one I'm currently planning on buying (waiting for more feedback on it first). It would replace your tow point but is still rated up to 3500 pounds. Like the AEV one, it transfers the weight to the frame. What's nice about it is you get a new rear bumper and they have a lot more accessories for it than the AEV one. It's about $1270

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I knew that Overlander carries a 37 mounted on a Slab on his stock carrier with no issues. But I'm not sure how. I've snugged mine up and it still rattles pretty good off road and on bad roads. My plan is to either get a new carrier or keep the spare in the back of my jeep while off roading. However, I don't feel like it's causing issues on the day-to-day commute.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
If it were me, I would look at an AEV tire carrier. They sell for $790 and it attaches to your frame rail - where the weight of your spare should be. It can be used with your factory bumper and therefore, can be used with your factory hitch receiver as well.
What about a body mounted carrier like Genright, Poison Spyder, or the Evo carrier?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Oh, you're saying they are a little big for just a 35. Yea, that makes some sense. I may have to do a little more research to see what looks good to the eye. I was originally thinking the tailgate mounted Evo or CC carrier but I'm not sure I like that approach based on some of the reviews.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Because so many of you seem to be MISSING it, the OP specifically stated the following...

I want to be able to use my factory hitch

I have seen some great bumper tire carrier options posted but to the best of my recollection, most of them DO NOT use the factory hitch receiver.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Because so many of you seem to be MISSING it, the OP specifically stated the following...

I have seen some great bumper tire carrier options posted but to the best of my recollection, most of them DO NOT use the factory hitch receiver.

Yea your right didn't read all the post sorry OP.

Dprochef

So I've been thinking about it and doing some looking around. I'm not opposed to a body mounted carrier ( just don't want it bolted to the back door, easier to clean and stuff) but I do want to be able to use my factory hitch. I'm thinking that might open some possibilities. Also I would HAVE to do the bumper now, I could just go tire carrier and find a better bumper later.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you might want to consider a GenRight tire carrier then. Again, a bit much just for a 35" spare but at least you could install it without having to install corner armor as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What's the difference between using a factory hitch and one installed on an aftermarket bumper? Tow rating?

MOST of the aftermarket bumpers out there do not have an official DOT approved tow rating due to the cost of having it rated. That being said, so long as the receiver on the bumper is physically secured to the rear cross member like factory, I would imagine that it would get the job done just as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the after markets aren't rated to tow, be ok for bike carries and such but not a loaded trailer or camper

Just because they aren't "officially rated" doesn't mean they're only good for bike carriers and such. It costs a lot of money to have something officially tow rated.

Top Bottom